Same old issues..ar's or not

G-Man

51 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

I don't recall her saying she wanted to fill the freezer and call it a day. Again, my interpretation.

Do tell where I misinterpreted.

On 11/29/2017 at 2:53 PM, Artemis said:

self-sufficient, to know where my foods comes from and provide it myself,

^ I don't think she was talking about vegetables there.  

1 hour ago, wolc123 said:

I think you are missing the latest trend, which is meat.  The big antler fad is finally starting to wind down, and not a moment too soon.  Look at Moog's "reminder buck" thread, or that new member, named after the greek goodess of the hunt, right here on this site for some up to the moment indications of that.   The DEC missed their opportunity on the AR thing.  That was so last year.  Now it is the meat hunters who they should be looking out for.     

This is another crock of heated crap. The drive for huge bucks is gone or going nowhere. You think guys run cam's to look for little bucks and does to shoot? Same with food plot; and antler restricts.  Problem is a lot of Ny hunters are on the lazy side. The ones that dont have doe tags can drive an hour or two from home and fill their freezer and complain if they cant shoot baby bucks.

These same hunters have the best equipment and computers and every other nice things in life so a few dollars in gas and maybe a room for a couple days sure wont break them.

• Like 2

Funny how the hunting classes are filled up at every stop yet hunter numbers keep dropping?  Thats because half the kids and wives are filling those seats for their husbands and dads. Its a huge problem in Ny with hunters filling family tags.

We need it a law that all deer need to be checked in and all unused tags sent back in like the old days. That, Along with 1 buck a season per hunter with it being their choice what weapon to kill it with.

We as hunters are doing nothing to help the deer population and herd health for the most part.  Way to long of seasons and way to many tags being handed out. 

• Like 1

This doom and gloom might just be the change in times. Honestly information technology has killed the oldmway of hunti ng. Results like trail cam photos and recent harvests that are above average are dumped into any means to be at your fingertips. It gives false sense that everyone is doing better than you but they're not. Hard to wrap your head around idea you're just seeing the highlights.

Hunters of yesterday seemed to pregame and enjoy the process. Hunters of today want to fast forward to see who won.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

We sometimes forget why hunting still exists at all... yes, tradition may be one part... but in a world of growing development and increased loss of wildlife habitat, wildlife conservation and population control are the real reasons. Moving to justifying the killing of animals just for the sole purpose of hanging a trophy on the wall or getting in a record book will surely be the death of  hunting. Maybe if we start working toward true management and stop trying to pass off trophy management as wildlife management we can be seen as real stewards of conservation. This new self righteous attitude has pitched hunter against hunter and does not bode well for the future of hunting.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Funny how the hunting classes are filled up at every stop yet hunter numbers keep dropping?  Thats because half the kids and wives are filling those seats for their husbands and dads. Its a huge problem in Ny with hunters filling family tags.

We need it a law that all deer need to be checked in and all unused tags sent back in like the old days. That, Along with 1 buck a season per hunter with it being their choice what weapon to kill it with.

We as hunters are doing nothing to help the deer population and herd health for the most part.  Way to long of seasons and way to many tags being handed out. 

if you are saying there less hunters then what is the point of all that other stuff you are saying . Less hunters should = more deer population or am I missing something here.

Which is good for us remaining Hunters that are left.

1 minute ago, Storm914 said:

if you are saying there less hunters then what is the point of all that other stuff you are saying . Less hunters should = more deer population or am I missing something here.

He isn't saying less hunters, there has been a supposed drop in numbers of hunters. What he is saying is the problem is dad and son going out and filling mom's and daughter's tags including their own. Meaning dad could shoot 4 bucks and son could shoot 4 bucks out of the same area when mom and daughter didn't step foot into the woods. It happens all the time especially in the southern tier.

17 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

He isn't saying less hunters, there has been a supposed drop in numbers of hunters. What he is saying is the problem is dad and son going out and filling mom's and daughter's tags including their own. Meaning dad could shoot 4 bucks and son could shoot 4 bucks out of the same area when mom and daughter didn't step foot into the woods. It happens all the time especially in the southern tier.

Don't you think dec calculates that into how they give out tags ? And forms the seasons 

18 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Doe tags, yes. Buck tags, no. Everyone can get 2 buck tags. Not everyone gets DMPs.

how would you inforce a law like that ? Father lives with son hunts  same property father shoots 2  bucks  uses sons tag  for second buck .

Ok how you prove that ? 

Unless the son rats out dad not likely . 

DEC just takes  all that into accont and makes up the season as they think works the best .

They can't stop everyhing even if the wanted to . They  use a formula to make those decisions . Not perfect but they get a good idea of what is going on with what there trying to achieve with the deer population. At least if you go read about it on there website that is what they say how accurate it is I don't know :taunt:

12 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

how would you inforce a law like that ? Father lives with son hunts  same property father shoots 2  bucks  uses sons tag  for second buck .

Ok how you prove that ? 

DEC just takes  all that into accont and makes up the season as they think works the best .

They can't stop everyhing even if the wanted to . They  use a formula to make those decisions . Not perfect but they get a good idea of what is going on with what there trying to achieve with the deer population. At least if you go read about it on there website that is what they say how accurate it is I don't know :taunt:

you could cut it down a lot with mandatory check ins. You still wouldn't get the ones that hunt on their own property but anything mobile could come into play. I remember check stations popping up on roads at various time during the season, especially opening day and opening weekend. 

• Like 1

Just now, Culvercreek hunt club said:

you could cut it down a lot with mandatory check ins. You still wouldn't get the ones that hunt on their own property but anything mobile could come into play. I remember check stations popping up on roads at various time during the season, especially opening day and opening weekend. 

It's annoying when you do that for both cops and hunters alike  besides most of that is happening on private land anyway. The deer they kill never leaves the property .or it goes to the neighbor with a unused tag . It is no secret that's going on DEC knows .

17 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

It's annoying when you do that for both cops and hunters alike  

We never minded. It was always a kind of a social event to see the deer that were taken. Use to be a highlight to swing by the check in station if we knew one was up, check out a couple local butchers and then ride the neighborhood to see who had what on the game poles

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

We never minded. It was always a kind of a social event to see the deer that were taken. Use to be a highlight to swing by the check in station if we knew one was up, check out a couple local butchers and then ride the neighborhood to see who had what on the game poles

The guys that do  crap like that will just hide there deer in the trunk of there car anyway . Are you going search every car

On the roads .  There not that many hunters anymore to  even bother like they did 30 years ago  fractly.

They would rather rely on people calling in and reportng violations. 

3 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Well lets see...You have a husband hunter...Now you have wife with 3-4 tags...Now you have a couple kids that you put in the class..now thats another 6-8 tags.   I know many, Some kill 2-3 great bucks every year and some kill 4-5 baby bucks every year on top of a pile of does.   That comes out to less hunter and less deer.

Until DEC gets a full handle on the herd they have no clue how to run the show.That wont happen until all deer and tags are accounted for.  Or law changes like 1 buck a year per hunter.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

The guys that do  crap like that will just hide there deer in the trunk of there car anyway . Are you going search every car

On the roads .  There not that many hunters anymore to  even bother like they did 30 years ago  fractly.

They would rather rely on people calling in and reportng violations. 

Every deer and hunter has to go to a check station in their area....You let a cop start asking a wife or kid where she shot or what caliber and such questions and you will see them get scared and fold or they will tell their husband to screw off and he is not putting them thru that for a deer.

I can promise ya the DEC would have a pile of new cash in their Fine kitty.  You dont report a deer you better be sending those tags back...No tags back or reported deer and you get Sh!t for tags next year period!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Storm914 said:

Ok how you prove that ? 

What Im saying is, DEC can control the number of doe tags it hands out. It does nothing to control the number of buck tags, as anyone that buys a license can get up to 2 of them. They would have to put buck tags into a lottery system to do that.

18 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Well lets see...You have a husband hunter...Now you have wife with 3-4 tags...Now you have a couple kids that you put in the class..now thats another 6-8 tags.   I know many, Some kill 2-3 great bucks every year and some kill 4-5 baby bucks every year on top of a pile of does.   That comes out to less hunter and less deer.

Until DEC gets a full handle on the herd they have no clue how to run the show.That wont happen until all deer and tags are accounted for.  Or law changes like 1 buck a year per hunter.

If you know this call up dec and report them .

If your not even doing that much you have nothing to complain about .

Edited by Storm914

If you know this call up dec and report them .

If your not even doing that much you have nothing to complain about .

Not my thing to be getting involved in any of those issues. They are not effecting my hunting in any way.  The way i see it in Ny DEC does not want to make laws and rules for the better then its on them.  Kinda like the state trowing all these gun laws to so call protect things.

16 minutes ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Every deer and hunter has to go to a check station in their area....You let a cop start asking a wife or kid where she shot or what caliber and such questions and you will see them get scared and fold or they will tell their husband to screw off and he is not putting them thru that for a deer.

I can promise ya the DEC would have a pile of new cash in their Fine kitty.  You dont report a deer you better be sending those tags back...No tags back or reported deer and you get Sh!t for tags next year period!

Every deer and hunter has to go to a check station in their area....

If there breaking the law there not going to just go to the check point .

It is not going to work for the most part people who do that do it on private property 

Every deer and hunter has to go to a check station in their area....

If there breaking the law there not going to just go to the check point .

It is not going to work for the most part people who do that do it on private property 

Right you are not going to stop people from poaching but by having to mail in unused tags it would give DEC more room to work. If someone gets caught with meat but no report or tag mailed back in..Bingo..Busted.   Plus most with not poach 3-4-5 deer a year.

The age old arguement though... Criminals are that for a reason. Poachers will poach no matter what. Unfortunately the best way to stop this is giving the info we have to the Dec. Called it a tip, or snitching but we are the eyes and ears in the woods. There is still obvious room for change on the legal end, but we can do our part too. It's tough to swallow when the neighbor kills your #1 hitlist buck but if it's his 3rd buck for the year that's just not fair in my book. I work my butt off for these deer and follow the laws ! I'm not gonna stand by if I hear or see something otherwise.

Call me a snitch if you want but I've made numerous calls to Dec. I actually have a few on speed dial.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, TreeGuy said:

The age old arguement though... Criminals are that for a reason. Poachers will poach no matter what. Unfortunately the best way to stop this is giving the info we have to the Dec. Called it a tip, or snitching but we are the eyes and ears in the woods. There is still obvious room for change on the legal end, but we can do our part too. It's tough to swallow when the neighbor kills your #1 hitlist buck but if it's his 3rd buck for the year that's just not fair in my book. I work my butt off for these deer and follow the laws ! I'm not gonna stand by if I hear or see something otherwise.

Call me a snitch if you want but I've made numerous calls to Dec. I actually have a few on speed dial.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

That's how most crimes are solved by tips .

Cops can't be everywhere and can't check everybody it's not practical. 

• Like 1

Who is gonna pay for the time with these check stations? Taxes are high enough. More officers, overtime for them, gas, coffee, ect. Not feasibly imo. Most people  poaching are broke so good luck getting blood from a stone. You gonna lock em up and cost more tax dollars?. We dont need more laws in the land of the free that can not be enforced. This country already has a deficit it cannot afford. With ars i would like a wall hanger every year but does not happen. And as the season gets closer to the end my expectations decline. If ars were ever implemented you can put me on a watch list cause a man can only follow so many b.s. laws before he says whatever.

• Like 1

Who is gonna pay for the time with these check stations? Taxes are high enough. More officers, overtime for them, gas, coffee, ect. Not feasibly imo. Most people  poaching are broke so good luck getting blood from a stone. You gonna lock em up and cost more tax dollars?. We dont need more laws in the land of the free that can not be enforced. This country already has a deficit it cannot afford. With ars i would like a wall hanger every year but does not happen. And as the season gets closer to the end my expectations decline. If ars were ever implemented you can put me on a watch list cause a man can only follow so many b.s. laws before he says whatever.

And this post shows why Ny will always be at the bottom of the list of hunting states. Guess you must be to young to remember the paper days where we had to mail half of the tag back to the state. The check stations can be as simple as a local archery store, corner market or gas station. Look up Michigan and see how simple it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1