Optics question

Chef

So as some of you know I’m getting a new long range rifle. It’s coming time to pick out my optic and I’m having a hard time deciding between two. Do any of you have a opinion on the matter. In looking at the leupold vx3i lrp 8.5-25And the vortex pst gen 2. 5-25. Both in ffp and mil mil. I hear good and bad things about both but tend to respect the opinion of this community more than most.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear alot of good things about vortex I have a "hog hunter" on my coyote rig. I've only shot under 500 and not sure what you intend to shoot distance wise. It's made me more than happy. I'm not an optics brat but my 50mil Nikon prostaff 5 can't compare at low light to the vortex. Great glass that isn't crazy expensive. I would have absolutely jumped on a nightforce but couldn't justify the cost.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, wildcat junkie said:

Leupold is American made. Not sure at what price point the Votex is made in america, but the less expensive models are Chinese crap.

There’s nothing crappy about the lower end Vortex scopes. Nicer glass than any other scope in their price range and a no questions lifetime warranty. I’ve had and have quite a few of the Crossfire and Crossfire II line. 

I would reccomend a Vortex in the Viper line for your purposes. Awesome scopes, and more features than any Leupold I have ever Looked through. 

• Like 2

Carrying or not  Carrying, that is the question?

For me it comes down to what I would be using my long range rifle for, namely target shooting or hunting. Target shooting and some varmint hunting where I would not be carrying my rifle too far or not much at all a higher power scope like the ones you listed are fine and preferable in many of those situations. Some of my rimfire rifles have long heavy scopes with 20x to 24x, they are heavier guns shot off the bench, great for target shooting but not something I would much want to carry around in the woods for Squirrel hunting.

A hunting rifle that I would be carrying and moving around some distances will be a different proposition when it comes to a scope, I like light weight "everything" when pertaining to those weapons. I have shot woodchucks and crows at well over 400 yards with varmint rifles and straight 12x scopes so I know that under conditions in the field  on even fairly small targets 12x is plenty of scope. Big game hunting requires even less power for me, 2x7 is my favorite power range and Leupold is my scope brand when I get serious.

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

There’s nothing crappy about the lower end Vortex scopes. Nicer glass than any other scope in their price range and a no questions lifetime warranty. I’ve had and have quite a few of the Crossfire and Crossfire II line. 
I would reccomend a Vortex in the Viper line for your purposes. Awesome scopes, and more features than any Leupold I have ever Looked through. 

I couldn't call them crappy because I haven't owned one long enough but I did buy 3 2-7 crossfire on sale from midway, never mounted them and sent them back. I do t think they were as clear as the comparable leupold or redfield and were heavier.

Everyone has different perspectives hell there are people that drive dodge pickups and if I was given one I wouldn't drive it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

Problem being isn’t the NXS only available in sfp ?

Not if you step into the ATACR line. They are FFP. The NXS that I was thinking about is indeed SFP. 

Edited by bugsNbows
Add info

6 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

So as some of you know I’m getting a new long range rifle. It’s coming time to pick out my optic and I’m having a hard time deciding between two. Do any of you have a opinion on the matter. In looking at the leupold vx3i lrp 8.5-25And the vortex pst gen 2. 5-25. Both in ffp and mil mil. I hear good and bad things about both but tend to respect the opinion of this community more than most.

Thanks

Define "long range" ..............

Hunting? Competition? Fun?

Yea I’m thinking the viper pst Gen II I don’t know why I’m just fixated on the leupold lrp other wise the decision would be easy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chefhunter86 said:

Fun, most likely won’t hunt with this gun, if I do it will be coyotes.

On another site I frequent the guys there are flying the SWFA Super Sniper scopes in a BIG way.  6x or 10x, pick your poison and rule the world.

19 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I couldn't call them crappy because I haven't owned one long enough but I did buy 3 2-7 crossfire on sale from midway, never mounted them and sent them back. I do t think they were as clear as the comparable leupold or redfield and were heavier.

Everyone has different perspectives hell there are people that drive dodge pickups and if I was given one I wouldn't drive it.

Hey now, lay off on the Rams lol

17 hours ago, chefhunter86 said:

Fun, most likely won’t hunt with this gun, if I do it will be coyotes.

NF NSX is probably overkill for "fun" and I'm not sure how far you'll normally be shooting at.  That said, this is the scope I hunt with and it's deadly.  Crisp glass, illuminated reticle, zero stop and balances well on the gun.  If I was regularly shooting at 300+ yards, then I'd step up to a higher magnification (and thus more weight).  YMMV

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/nxs/2-5-10x32

NF NSX is probably overkill for "fun" and I'm not sure how far you'll normally be shooting at.  That said, this is the scope I hunt with and it's deadly.  Crisp glass, illuminated reticle, zero stop and balances well on the gun.  If I was regularly shooting at 300+ yards, then I'd step up to a higher magnification (and thus more weight).  YMMV
http://www.nightforceoptics.com/nxs/2-5-10x32

Yea it’s too much lol. I’d spend max like 1300 I’m having a real hard time making up my mind lol. I wish there was somewhere I could see them side by side