Turkey's are ready

Dave

Burt,

You must have been coming 81 north and saw the deer on what is called State Hospital Hill just east of Binghamton. They are there all the time. As far as turkeys go, I have not seen that many and have not heard any gobblers. Every one that I have talked to are saying the same thing, they are not seeing or hearing anything. I hope they get fired up soon.

I am in Livingston county and have been hearing and seeing gobblers every spot I have checked out. They have been tearing it up every morning around my house. Looks like it's going to be a great season but it is driving me crazy with 3 weeks to wait!!!

That is an excellent picture of the mating pair. When I see this in  pictures and in the wild it always seems like such an awkward position to perform the deed....It seems the part the gobbler is interested in is under the hen's tail .....so he stands on her back!!!!!!! What's up with that????

Does anyone know how this actually works out???  I have found general explainations on the web but I am detail oriented and I cant figure out how this would work with the tail in the way!!

This is a serious biological question....I am just curious and have no intentions of trying this at home. ;D

All birds do it basically the same way... At the proper moment, the hen will lift her tail...

Birds don't have external genitals, everything is inside the body cavity... They have a cloaca, which is a common orifice .. "only hole they got"... ;) ... Everything comes out of, including solid waste, urine and sperm... The male simply presses his cloaca on the hen's cloaca and sprays the sperm..  It's really quite a hapahazard procedure.. That's why they do it so much...

I am in Livingston county and have been hearing and seeing gobblers every spot I have checked out. They have been tearing it up every morning around my house. Looks like it's going to be a great season but it is driving me crazy with 3 weeks to wait!!!

That is an excellent picture of the mating pair. When I see this in  pictures and in the wild it always seems like such an awkward position to perform the deed....It seems the part the gobbler is interested in is under the hen's tail .....so he stands on her back!!!!!!! What's up with that? ???

Does anyone know how this actually works out???  I have found general explainations on the web but I am detail oriented and I cant figure out how this would work with the tail in the way!!

This is a serious biological question....I am just curious and have no intentions of trying this at home. ;D

What part of Livingston? It's dead in my neck of the woods...(northern section). Heard to gobbles last week and that was about it.

They have a cloaca, which is a common orifice .. "only hole they got"... :D ... Everything comes out of, including solid waste, urine and sperm... The male simply presses his cloaca on the hen's cloaca and sprays the sperm..  It's really quite a hapahazard procedure.. That's why they do it so much...

I'm sure glad we humans do it the way we do compared to birds!  Sounds kind of messy.  And I think we like to do it just as much as the birds although we probably don't want to admit it 8) .  Not to say that I have heard turkeys admitting anything lately either.  ;)

Hehehehehe... Yeah, basically they are just " bumpin' bungholes"....

The gobblers seem to think that it's pretty SPECIAL, tho.... ;) .....

If you think about it, there ARE  someadvantages to having all thier genitals inside thier body cavity...

They don't have to worry about getting kicked in the NADS in a gobbler fight...

The hens can't bug them for leaving the TOILET SEAT up...

Kind of a bummer, though..

They don't have anything to SCRATCH when they get up in the morning..

Well, I could also see some disadvantages of having only one hole, but I won't get specific here.  I do think the medical profession would lose out big time if we had only one hole.  There wouldn't be a need for all the specialties like urology, gynocology, proctology, etc.  You would just go to one doctor and have him put his digit in one hole and be done with it.

Ahhhh ....The dreaded cloacial kiss..

Thanks guy's for the biology lesson...From my research ,I kinda figured that's how it works but I still think there has got to be a better way to do it!!

Phade,

I have seen alot of activity in Groveland, Dansville, Springwater, Cannasaraga and Conesus. I guess that would be Southern Livingston