Can-demonium

goosifer

My wife and I did our annual go through the pantry food, organize it, throw out stuff that is way past its expiration date. We spent over four hours doing the kitchen pantry and our food storage down in the basement. We are like accidental preppers with all the stuff we have. The oldest can I found was from July 2009, about 8-1/2 years old.

How is your pantry doing?

I found a solution to that....we use a four shelf plastic steriltie cabinet as our pantry and keep it in the basement....they are quality cabinets but can only hold a fair amount of weight...so when the shelf is loaded with veggies, sauce and whatever else they sell in a can and it begins to bend that's when I shut down any purchases of canned foods.....we use what we have...shelf straightens back out and then we restock.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My pantry is doing fine rotation is the key, we have found some things that are outdated but they get opened and dumped into compost pile.If the chips/cereal/ breads/or anything like that is expired or stale that becomes bird food.Sad to say we waste more bread than anything

• Like 1

We'll have some cans that are older but we don't eat much canned food at all.  Tuna yes, occasional soup but I really don't like canned soup.  Misc canned stuff for chili and we don't make that very often. 

98% of our vegetables are fresh but once in a while, depending on the meal I like canned peas or or corn.

At hunting camp each year I find some dillies......I don't remember what it was (could have been red cabbage?) but this past fall I found something with a 1986 expiration date.  On the plus side, a few years ago I found some Crown Royal with a tax stamp dated 1957. :) 

• Like 3