GoPro's and other "action cameras"

Bionic

Here's a quick story for you to the durability of the GoPro session. And this is no joke, I fished the salmon river yesterday, on a gravelly area on the inside of a bend I was walking around in the shallow water taking a break and looking at bottom because you find a lot of stuff up there. Well I noticed something odd looking so I kicked it in a bit shallower and picked it up, it was a GoPro hero Session! It was coated in algae and reaked of fish. I wiped the crap off of it best I could, I found the power button and it turned on! When I got home I pulled the card and put it in my laptop, all of the owners videos are still there as well as the video from when I turned it on. Now get this, the last video the owner took he was fishing on October 28th of this year. That camera survived tumbling around the salmon river for presumably 3+ months and fired right up when I turned it on. Now mind you I've never owned a GoPro brand camera but this incident is shocking to me and speaks volumes to their waterproofing. This probably isn't too helpful in your search for a camera but this incident and your post timing and I had to share it!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, chrisw said:

Well I noticed something odd looking so I kicked it in a bit shallower and picked it up, it was a GoPro hero Session! It was coated in algae and reaked of fish. I wiped the crap off of it best I could, I found the power button and it turned on! When I got home I pulled the card and put it in my laptop, all of the owners videos are still there as well as the video from when I turned it on. Now get this, the last video the owner took he was fishing on October 28th of this year. That camera survived tumbling around the salmon river for presumably 3+ months and fired right up when I turned it on.

Wow! Ought to send that story in to GoPro, a better real life testimonial than that one would be tough to top!

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, chrisw said:

Here's a quick story for you to the durability of the GoPro session. And this is no joke, I fished the salmon river yesterday, on a gravelly area on the inside of a bend I was walking around in the shallow water taking a break and looking at bottom because you find a lot of stuff up there. Well I noticed something odd looking so I kicked it in a bit shallower and picked it up, it was a GoPro hero Session! It was coated in algae and reaked of fish. I wiped the crap off of it best I could, I found the power button and it turned on! When I got home I pulled the card and put it in my laptop, all of the owners videos are still there as well as the video from when I turned it on. Now get this, the last video the owner took he was fishing on October 28th of this year. That camera survived tumbling around the salmon river for presumably 3+ months and fired right up when I turned it on. Now mind you I've never owned a GoPro brand camera but this incident is shocking to me and speaks volumes to their waterproofing. This probably isn't too helpful in your search for a camera but this incident and your post timing and I had to share it!

That's awesome! Im glad to hear that story.

Talk about real world testing !!! Did you find the owner ? I'm on some fishing forums and could put up a found ad. Lmk!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I watched all of the videos and never heard a name, I never even saw the guy who wore the cameras face, with so many thousands of people in that river in October I figure the chances of finding the actual owner are slim to none. I'm sure plenty of people would take a free found GoPro though...

I watched all of the videos and never heard a name, I never even saw the guy who wore the cameras face, with so many thousands of people in that river in October I figure the chances of finding the actual owner are slim to none. I'm sure plenty of people would take a free found GoPro though...

Lol. I hear that ! It was me !!!?

• Like 2

I cant wait to actually use my new cameta, as previous said, I plan to use it to start inspirational videos, for new amputees.  At my arm doctor's office,  they ask me to speak with new amputees, since I have so much experience with every device offered.  I am asked to let new amputees know that there ARE ways to use these prosthetic devices to perform daily tasks.  Heck, even "seasoned" users cannot seem to utilize the devices to their true capabilities, this is why I want to start making videos showing that these devices can be used with such a wide variety of tasks.  I am NOT at all a camera guy, so this is VERY wierd for me, I hope it helps people. 

• Like 3

I cant wait to actually use my new cameta, as previous said, I plan to use it to start inspirational videos, for new amputees.  At my arm doctor's office,  they ask me to speak with new amputees, since I have so much experience with every device offered.  I am asked to let new amputees know that there ARE ways to use these prosthetic devices to perform daily tasks.  Heck, even "seasoned" users cannot seem to utilize the devices to their true capabilities, this is why I want to start making videos showing that these devices can be used with such a wide variety of tasks.  I am NOT at all a camera guy, so this is VERY wierd for me, I hope it helps people. 
Well that's an insperation ! Good for you my friend !!! It's amazing to me the advancements that allow the use of a lost limb. I know a guy who lost both his arms and was an avid turkey hunter, absolutely awesome attitude.

Good for you though, and it's awesome your able to help others. Karma will find you !

• Like 3