Question for the AR15 Folks

moog5050

4 minutes ago, jjb4900 said:

IMG_3878.JPG.f9a00affb23b87479281a14fccd260ac.JPG                                       Picked up a Ruger AR this afternoon after debating about getting one for a few months, now just to get some good optics for it.

you an LEO or live somewhere else? seems like one hell of a 10 round mag and some scary features. lol

14 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

you an LEO or live somewhere else? seems like one hell of a 10 round mag and some scary features. lol

Not necessarily, you can get inserts that go into the 20 and 30 round mags that only allow 10 rounds to be loaded. Like a tube plug for a shotgun.

FVKGBV6IIW1XW53.LARGE.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chas0218 said:

Not necessarily, you can get inserts that go into the 20 and 30 round mags that only allow 10 rounds to be loaded. Like a tube plug for a shotgun.

FVKGBV6IIW1XW53.LARGE.jpg

It would have to be a permanent modification to the magazine in NY though. Something removable like that would not be legal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

It would have to be a permanent modification to the magazine in NY though. Something removable like that would not be legal.

i believe some of those are legit in that they have to be actually installed and fastened. not just inserted behind the spring.  you might be right though in that often i hear how things need to be epoxied, etc.

16 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i believe some of those are legit in that they have to be actually installed and fastened. not just inserted behind the spring.  you might be right though in that often i hear how things need to be epoxied, etc.

Limiters that reduce the capacity to 5 rounds only are legal for hunting purposes.  The ones I have just sit in the spring and limit travel.   I guess they are permanent to the extent one doesn’t know how to slide the floor plate on the mag.  Lol.  Maybe it’s a different issue reducing a 30td mag to 10 for safe act vs 10 to 5 for hunting. 

3 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Limiters that reduce the capacity to 5 rounds only are legal for hunting purposes.  The ones I have just sit in the spring and limit travel.   I guess they are permanent to the extent one doesn’t know how to slide the floor plate on the mag.  Lol.  Maybe it’s a different issue reducing a 30td mag to 10 for safe act vs 10 to 5 for hunting. 

Yes, its different

"If" I was getting back in the AR platform, the fixed mag solution would appear to be ideal.  These new stripper mag products like the BF10 loader take the hassle out reloading.  It's probably the least expensive solution too.  I'm not sure what the benefit would be to using a blocked 20 or 30 rd mag versus a 10 rounder though.

5 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

"If" I was getting back in the AR platform, the fixed mag solution would appear to be ideal.  These new stripper mag products like the BF10 loader take the hassle out reloading.  It's probably the least expensive solution too.  I'm not sure what the benefit would be to using a blocked 20 or 30 rd mag versus a 10 rounder though.

Fixed mag is really not a big deal.  Unloading is the most inconvenient but with only 5 rounds, it takes less than 5 seconds. I don't use the loaders but it takes no longer than an internal box mag to load in a bolt action.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

One has to do with common sense, the other has to do with Cuomo. Nuff said

Mine are 10rd fixed mags so I never really thought about it.   Wouldn't want a longer mag anyways for hunting.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Fixed mag is really not a big deal.  Unloading is the most inconvenient but with only 5 rounds, it takes less than 5 seconds. I don't use the loaders but it takes no longer than an internal box mag to load in a bolt action.

Cant you also pop the floor plate out of the mag?

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

No more or less permanent than a fixed mag. AR. In reality it would be for the person that had a bunch of 30 rnd. mags and didn't want to go out and buy 10 rnd. mags. Also from the LEO's I know and have talked to they aren't going to drop the bottom plate of the mag pull your plug then reassemble and proceed to put in more than 10 rounds. Just to write you a ticket. These are the same cops that said them and their department will press the mag button and pull on the mag if it doesn't come out you're good. They will not try to take the weapon apart to try and release the mag. 

36 minutes ago, Jdubs said:

No benefit either for looks or you have a bunch of the 30 rnd. mags and don't want to spend the money on the 10 round mags. 

1 hour ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

The pictured one goes inside the mag between the floor plate and follower so I would think it would be considered permanent, Otherwise you could just throw a rivet in the side of the mag.

Edited by chas0218