Tick Prevention

BKhunter

Was upstate this weekend and wound up getting a tick on me. I don't think he was on for too long, but it was long enough for him to borough into my back and cause enough discomfort for me to notice him on the car ride home. Long story short I was at the doctor getting it dug out and was prescribed a dose of antibiotics in the event it was a carrier of lime. This is the first time I had a tick that deep in, and I don't want to have to take antibiotics each time I get a tick latch on to me. I may be freaking out and the doctor may have been overly cautious, but Lyme scares the hell out of me. I wanted to do some scouting this year out in LI and I know there are a ton of ticks out there. Can anyone recommend some good prevention methods beside the obvious off deep woods which I like to avoid putting on while hunting? Also their thoughts if I jumped the gun on the antibodies? I' m one of those people that don't even like taking advil so this is bother me that I had to take this stuff.

BK

this year i went for a walk with my 4 yr old daughter. ended up with 7 crawling around. i've had permethrin for a while now but never use it.  taking no chances now. soaking some select hunting and work wear clothing in a bag then line drying them. seem to be bad this year more than ever unless i just hit a pocket of them.

i think it helps but i also wear UnderAmrour Heat Gear pants and shirt. keeps them from getting to my body anyway.  in the summer for sun screen the wife gets Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus Expedition. works pretty good. we're about out though.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I am ordering a set of rynoskins

i deal but my UnderArmour heat gear is black. i wished it was white or grey. it's an under layer so color doesn't matter but it'd help me see something crawling. keeps you cool too for late mornings. you feel every breeze. i'm sure rynoskins work just the same.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

in the summer for sun screen the wife gets Avon Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus Expedition. 

I use Sawyers on clothes and Deet products around home; but that Avon stuff will repel some nasties you find elsewhere that nothing else does, good stuff. Like the wipes.

39 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i deal but my UnderArmour heat gear is black. i wished it was white or grey. it's an under layer so color doesn't matter but it'd help me see something crawling. keeps you cool too for late mornings. you feel every breeze. i'm sure rynoskins work just the same.

from the reading and reviews I see on the Rynoskins the biting insects can't bite through this, even skeeters

i swear by sawyers i treat ALL my clothes that i go afield with it and never had a tick. while i have you guys a friend in work got a bad case of poison ivy doing yard work, any of you do anything about that, i see it  on the edge of the fields so its a little concern . Going in the fields early before light i really dont want to wind up like him.

7 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

I use Sawyers on clothes and Deet products around home; but that Avon stuff will repel some nasties you find elsewhere that nothing else does, good stuff. Like the wipes.

when we go south to places like Punta Cana with the whole Zika virus that's what we use. use a it all over and it seems to keep everything at bay day or night. miss one spot and it won't take long for the thirsty suckers to find it.

• Like 1

i swear by sawyers i treat ALL my clothes that i go afield with it and never had a tick. while i have you guys a friend in work got a bad case of poison ivy doing yard work, any of you do anything about that, i see it  on the edge of the fields so its a little concern . Going in the fields early before light i really dont want to wind up like him.

I love freaking people out when I take poison ivy and rub it on me haha. I’m apparently immune to it these days. Wasn’t when I was young but since my teens I haven’t gotten it ever again. I’ve hung tree stands in trees that were covered in poison ivy vines without even thinking twice just because it was a good tree. My buddy wouldn’t hunt it though because he gets it just by looking at it haha.

1 hour ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

I love freaking people out when I take poison ivy and rub it on me haha. I’m apparently immune to it these days. Wasn’t when I was young but since my teens I haven’t gotten it ever again. I’ve hung tree stands in trees that were covered in poison ivy vines without even thinking twice just because it was a good tree. My buddy wouldn’t hunt it though because he gets it just by looking at it haha.

I used to be able to rub poison ivy on me and never got it until one extremely hot day when I  was was putting up a permanent stand and got into some poison oak . Then I would get a touch of it every year even if I wasn't near it . 

Back to the Topic -- I sprayed my clothes with the Sawyer's Permethrin last night and hung them in the garage . 

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

You can also buy the permethrin in bulk on amazon.  From there you can dilute it into the same ratio as the sawyers.  I believe I paid 20 bucks for the jug and it'll last me for many years.  I'm originally from western PA where you're COVERED in ticks after one walk in the woods. 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2018 at 10:05 AM, FallAir said:

You can also buy the permethrin in bulk on amazon.  From there you can dilute it into the same ratio as the sawyers.  I believe I paid 20 bucks for the jug and it'll last me for many years.  I'm originally from western PA where you're COVERED in ticks after one walk in the woods. 

right, the dilute and mix is extremely inexpensive.

• 1 month later...

I buy sawyers on amazon.

First tick I've had on me, period, this year I was walking on a well worn trail. i stepped a few feet off it to pee at a tree and later that night felt something on my leg. They are dastardly. 

• Like 1