New Implement

they work great. we've had them on the farm forever. they don't get much use in the fields because we use bigger heavier stuff to break up the sod. for a food plot and your kind of work it'll be perfect.  you want to go fast enough with constant throttle to keep the atv belt tight and with gear shift atvs the idea is to not make the clutch constantly engaging.  you think it's heavy enough now but depending on the ground you might want to add a few CMU blocks on it. some can make it work others have to add a frame of metal or wood to hold/attach them.  it will get clogged. don't pull it all out by hand. use the lever to lift the tines, drive away to clear it out, and then lower them back down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i have a small set of chisel plows for a compact tractor that i use for food plots. it works the same way except i use down pressure or lift on the 3 point hitch to adjust depth.

That’s what is lacking from an ATV- down pressure

So... I'm no farmer or food plotter, but still have to ask the obvious question. Isn't the drag the 3rd step in prepping for planting, plow, disc & then drag? How deep will a drag on hard packed ground penetrate? I've used one of those 4'x4' "chain-link" style drags and even with a lot of weight added it never penetrated the un-plowed ground with its' spiked teeth very deep. Was better at clearing paths of debris than scratching the ground for seeding. Last dumb-a$$ question, isn't the drag you have designed for the frame to float on the ground surface, while spring teeth break-up the dirt? At least w/o a 3pt hitch's downward pressure. Guess it all depends on how deep you need to disturb the soil for what you'll be planting, yes-no...!?!

4 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

So... I'm no farmer or food plotter, but still have to ask the obvious question. Isn't the drag the 3rd step in prepping for planting, plow, disc & then drag? How deep will a drag on hard packed ground penetrate? I've used one of those 4'x4' "chain-link" style drags and even with a lot of weight added it never penetrated the un-plowed ground with its' spiked teeth very deep. Was better at clearing paths of debris than scratching the ground for seeding. Last dumb-a$$ question, isn't the drag you have designed for the frame to float on the ground surface, while spring teeth break-up the dirt? At least w/o a 3pt hitch's downward pressure. Guess it all depends on how deep you need to disturb the soil for what you'll be planting, yes-no...!?!

Spring tooth digs, lifts and loosens soil.  The chain link is more for smoothing from what I understand.  It should dig plenty deep for clovers and brassicas.   I don’t think it would work for a seed that requires deeper planting.     I will let you know how it works.  Dropping it off today.  

11 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

Their are no tractors, to my knowledge on the market today under 60hp with three point hitch down pressure. International Harvester, Belarus and, maybe a few Case  were the only tractors that had it years ago. It injured and killed to many people.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter
  • Like 1