Maine Moose Permit

hunter

I will be using my Savage 300 Win Mag as primary and will take a second gun possibly my 20 ga 870 with both barrels so I can small game if I tag one early or use scoped rifled barrel as a backup. I understand bear is also open but not bait season. My son in law Mike will bear and small game hunt. I will also take my S&W 57 in .41 mag. I have a digital Nikon, it's not very expensive but I am not much of a photographer so it will probably do fine for capturing the trip. We'll go to my friend Clyde's house in Rumford which is near Rangeley Lake and sleep there Sat night. Then we'll head up to zone two which is as far East as you can go and second far North as you can go on Sun which is no hunting day in Maine. Hopefully get settled in and ck zero on weapons and be ready for Mon . My buddy took a cow from this zone two years ago so he knows the area which is great. He tells me a guy sets up a refrigerated tractor trailer to process the moose that are taken and will do either quartering or full butchering which is what I will hopefully go for. As for taxidery if I am lucky, my friend and his brother have about six bull moose mounts plus many other trophies so I'll use their guy in the Mexico area. I wish I could take more friends but I have to take as much cooler space as I can. I will give alot of the meat to my friends up there as they have always been generous to me and have alot of pals in NY who also have done the same for me so now I can offer them some meat, hopefully. I have never had a bad trip to Maine but I think this will be legendary.

Sounds great..

On one of my Alaska trips I spotted for my buddy while he shot a big bull at about 250 yards with his M70  .300 Win Mag.. He made a perfect center lung shot a the bull ran a few yards and tipped over...I'll never forget seeing the hair part ( through my spotting scope) when the bullet hit that moose..He was shooting 180 Grain Speer Grand Slams..I know because I loaded the ammo for him. 

I assume the grouse ( or pah-tridge  as the Mainers call them), will be open..Last year was a banner year for grouse up there...Hopefully you can pop a nice bull early and then get in some bird hunting.

• Like 1

Antlers, I started applying around 2001 but they recently changed the rules to give more weight to long time applicants but I don't think they did it retroactively. So now each year you should get five poins instead of one. I stuck with Maine because my friend will guide me but I have seen here that other places have better odds like New Brunswick or New Hampshire. Good luck and I hope your tag is around the corner.

Lawdwaz, I am so excited I just want to nail down the details like which cabin to book. My buddy from Maine tells me to be careful because there aren't many towns in that zone so I want to book a cabin near gas stations and stores to buy food,ice and stuff like that.

I just read on another site that at current rates, a non-resident of Maine will take an average of 85 years to draw a tag...

Congrats again on beating the odds, Hunter !!..The lottery began in 1980, and there are many residents as well as nonresidents who have applied every year and are still waiting for thier first tag. I applied for about 20 years and finally gave up

Pygmy, I had no idea the odds were that bad, I hung in there because I felt committed at this point and I had free help offered in Maine by an experienced moose hunter.

Biz, I don't know what is good so I will depend on my friend's advice but I don't think I am gonna let any legal bull walk. They are so huge and have so much meat I can't see letting a thousand pound 40" bull walk and risk going home empty handed.

Antlers, I followed your story when you won that tag and it was a great story. It also helped me to maintain faith.

Thanks guys for your  congrats and input.

Congrats on the tag. What is a good moose for Maine?  I don't know much about them. Seen a few when hunting in Canada, that's about it.

Maine moose tend to run big for thier subspecies ( Eastern Canada moose), probably due to the short seasons and the limited number of tags issued...

Unlike Ontario, Quebec, or Newfoundland, where bulls over 50" are rare, a good number of 50" to 60" bulls are taken each season.

• 3 months later...

Just got back from Maine. The trip was great but it was a little warm and getting warmer so I was a little concerned. We did see a fair number of bulls and more cows. After experiencing problems with my gun which was responsible for missing a nice bull on Monday I switched with my friend and sub permitee Clyde. He had his Browning A-Bolt in 7-08. By Wed. we were a little nervous as the day was ending we saw two moose one big and one small. We thought cow and calf but had to check and they were bulls. I took the bigger one and he only made it about twenty yards into the woods. He dressed out at 550 and had smallish 5 point rack. I will only mount the horns instead of a head mount but it's my greatest hunt ever and the entire trip was great. I will try to put some pics up as soon as I can. Thanks to all on here for your support and well wishes. I hope you all can experience this for yourselves.

• Like 2

Congrats!

A 7mm-08 did the job, cool.  What bullet?  How many shots? 

Funny thing, on a thread earlier this week someone posted up a pic of a 800lb bull elk and you shoot a 550lb bull MOOSE?    Somebody's scale is fibbing.  Grin..........

Let's see some pics!!!

Thanks to all for the kind words and I will report back. I'll learn how to post pics. Best of luck to all you guys still waiting. Keep the faith.

Congrats on your bull !

Looking forward to the photos...He'll be GOOD eating !!

My hunting buddy, Fungus Face, hunted the New Brunswick season Sept. 26-28..

I'm waiting to hear from him to see how he made out.

Edited by Pygmy

It was Hornady flex point, not sure of weight but I'll ask. Three shots and we think one miss. Wow that NB season

is short. The meat looks primo and the big old bull would have been tough but I still would have been happy with the bigger rack. Once I can get my daughter to help I'll put up some pics. Hopefully today.