i hear the dec is proposing an oct 1st start to the 2012 season

Pat Rockets

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey don’t forget the youth gun hunt on the 2nd  weekend and the 4day ML season the  4  days after the youth hunt

I still don't understand or see the need for the whole youth hunt day's.

Do you agree with the Youth Turkey hunting weekend? Same thing. I still dont understand why it would be such a big problem for some of you guys.

The DEC is finally going to give Bow a Oct 1 opend date, in the past they did not want the bow hunters to be in the woods at the same time as the Bird and Rabbit hunters.

So for me I can then suppport a youth days and or early BP.

I also wish the DEC would let bow be open for the total month of December. This business of a few days to find and take wounded deer is a farce. After the deer herd has been pushed with gun and then BP hunters it takes time to the herd to return to normal travel routes...

Do you agree with the Youth Turkey hunting weekend? Same thing. I still  dont understand why it would be such a big problem for some of you guys.

Of course it's NOT the same thing....the youth turkey occurs at a time when there are no other seasons open and you still have ppl out there shooting other camo glad ppl

Do you agree with the Youth Turkey hunting weekend? Same thing. I still  dont understand why it would be such a big problem for some of you guys.

Of course it's NOT the same thing....the youth turkey occurs at a time when there are no other seasons open and you still have ppl out there shooting other camo glad ppl

Sure it is the same thing. Do you think that adult bow hunting would be allowed during the youth weekend? I dont think so.

Show me some articles of people being shot during youth turkey.

I did not mean in the youth season but there have been many in the general turkey season...so I misspoke ......That is just exactly what they are proposing isn't it?....did they say they were shutting down bow season during that 3 day weekend?.......

I really feel sorry for the ppl that own hunting camps and pay big taxes on them ...but can't get time off to hunt only during regular season....because you can bet the farm..... that by the time they get a chance to use their own property ...it would have already been run over with locals

That's not speculation ...it's observation ....happens to us during turkey season and bow season...I have to drive ppl off all the time and our neighbors down there are about fed up...and I've talked to many many guys that have the same problems....it's happened here at the house...when we've purchased land from out of staters....guys around here just treated it like there own....local know absentee land owners routines ...I dare say better than their own ::D

I did not mean in the youth season but there have been many in the general turkey season...so I misspoke ......That is just exactly what they are proposing isn't it?....did they say they were shutting down bow season during that 3 day weekend?.......

I really feel sorry for the ppl that own hunting camps and pay big taxes on them ...but can't get time off to hunt only during regular season....because you can bet the farm..... that by the time they get a chance to use their own property ...it would have already been run over with locals

That's not speculation ...it's observation ....happens to us during turkey season and bow season...I have to drive ppl off all the time and our neighbors down there are about fed up...and I've talked to many many guys that have the same problems....it's happened here at the house...when we've purchased land from out of staters....guys around here just treated it like there own....local know absentee land owners routines ...I dare say better than their own ::D

Very interesting and honest post.  It's usually the locals who blame the city boys for coming up and shooting up all the game and then the city boys blame the locals for the very same thing.  It's not often that I hear a local blaming his fellow locals for shooting up game on land owned by non-locals.  I always thought that if anyone was shooting things up it WOULD more likely be the locals since they live in the area and can access it at will compared to non-locals who only get to it once in a while.

That's not speculation ...it's observation ....happens to us during turkey season and bow season...I have to drive ppl off all the time and our neighbors down there are about fed up...and I've talked to many many guys that have the same problems....it's happened here at the house...when we've purchased land from out of staters....guys around here just treated it like there own....local know absentee land owners routines ...I dare say better than their own ::O

Bow season would have to be shut down that weekend. If its a youth weekend, how could you allow adults to hunt at the same time? It wouldnt make any sense if they didnt .

Bow season would have to be shut down that weekend. If its a youth weekend, how could you allow adults to hunt at the same time? It wouldnt make any sense if they didnt .

On the site of the proposal  http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/draftdeerplan0611.pdf  on page 35 they have a graphic that states: Youth hunt - Columbus Day; concurrent with bow. 

Am I mis-reading or misinterpreting that? I read it as both activities happening at the same time.

On the site of the proposal  http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/draftdeerplan0611.pdf  on page 35 they have a graphic that states: Youth hunt - Columbus Day; concurrent with bow. 

Am I mis-reading or misinterpreting that? I read it as both activities happening at the same time.

No, you are right, I missed that little tid bit. That part makes no sense at all.

If I read it right the youth hunt is a gun hunt(didn't specify if muzzleloder or rifle/shotgun) and bow would remain open for everyone at that time.)

Yes it is a gun hunt, but if you are making a weekend a special youth season, it would only make sense that adults could not be hunting at the same time, regardless of weapon.

As for gun allowed out there with people in camo....i see it all the time during regular gun season guys doing drives wearing full camo..they seem to survive with a lot more guns in the woods. If your that worried about it put on an orange hat or tie a orange ribbon around the tree your in. My neighbor wears full camo all the time he's made it to 74 hunting public land. Not that i agree with it some orange/hi viis yellow or green should be mandatory for all hunters in my opinion.

Hey don’t forget the youth gun hunt on the 2nd  weekend and the 4day ML season the  4  days after the youth hunt

Do you agree with the Youth Turkey hunting weekend? Same thing. I still dont understand why it would be such a big problem for some of you guys.

Not that I have a problem with kids hunting deer, but what's the use of a 2 day hunt for kids. Where you going to put it, the weekend of the 1st day of gun? in the middle of bow season during the rut? These are the only two viable options in my opinion for success for the kids. Bow hunting is already hard enough without someone running around scaring the piss out of the deer shooting at them with a gun in the middle of the season. And 1st day of gun is not even worth comment. I have an Idea why don't people with kids who can hunt take them out during the regular deer season like my Dad did. Why should people with kids inconvinence the rest of the hunting world that is spending a turd load of money to hunt. So I call BS on the whole kids hunting days. If they are of legal age to hunt theey can hunt all they want during the open season.

Not that I have a problem with kids hunting deer, but what's the use of a 2 day hunt for kids. Where you going to put it, the weekend of the 1st day of gun? in the middle of bow season during the rut? These are the only two viable options in my opinion for success for the kids. Bow hunting is already hard enough without someone running around scaring the piss out of the deer shooting at them with a gun in the middle of the season. And 1st day of gun is not even worth comment. I have an Idea why don't people with kids who can hunt take them out during the regular deer season like my Dad did. Why should people with kids inconvinence the rest of the hunting world that is spending a turd load of money to hunt. So I call BS on the whole kids hunting days. If they are of legal age to hunt theey can hunt all they want during the open season.

First of all, the proposed youth hunt is 3 days, in very early October (Columbus Day weekend) when kids have a 3 day weekend. The weather that weekend is usually pretty warm. The deer are calm and in feeding patterns, so it would make for a nice weekend of hunting for the kids without the pressure of full on gun season. Guess what, the kids licenses cost money, just like yours does, and you are inconvenienced how exactly? We cant even hunt that weekend as things stand now, so NOTHING is being taken away from you.

Seriously, I have to say that most of the crap that people who are against the proposed youth season are spewing is nothing but greedy, selfish crap. All I hear is "it will be an inconvenience" or "they will be shooting at everything that moves". Please, get over yourselves and see that if something isnt done, at some point in the future, hunting will be a thing of the past. Dont believe me? Look at the hunter numbers in NY over the years.

Hunter #'s are down everywhere, not just NY. A special youth season isn't going to save that. Its just a plain and simple fact of life that more and more people are becoming too domesticated. I'm not against the youth season at all but I just dont see it as a savior to hunting. Now the proposed early muzzleloader, thats a different story..

In no way do I think it will be the savior to hunting, but like I said before, it will be a piece of the puzzle. There is no, and will never be one single "magic bullet" to solve the problem.

I still think that a lot of these special youth seasons appear more to be simple flailing around trying this and trying that rather than devoting time effort and research to attacking the real issues of low hunter recruitment and replacement. The reasons are clearly social as I said before and until the DEC and other government entities and the hunting community itself begin to recognize that and aim their efforts at the root of the problem, all the special youth seasons in the world are simply serving as worthless window-dressing. It's frustrating watching so many people investing in absolute nonsense and totally ignoring the real root causes for the future demise of hunting. Eventually we will be sitting here with DEC revenues almost extinct from faltering hunter numbers, wondering what happened while having squandered time and resources on failed attempts and a total misunderstanding of the problems. It really shouldn't be that way, and selling worthless attempts at solutions simply deflect attention from the real solutions which involve real activity in the schools and other public campaigns to create a real sales campaign for hunting among the young people as well as adults.

many states have these seasons and programs and they seem to work fine.  The youth season really is not going to impact the hunting at all, and if you feel that bow hunters in the woods during youth weekend is dangerous than don't hunt.  I am so happy that the sate is lengthening the season, we usually get things taken from the sportsman and giving us a longer season is very great news.  Deer are used to slot of shooting and noise on columbus day weekend anyway with it being a popular vacation weekend with people shooting guns and riding atv's.

First of all, The DEC cannot accurately estimate the deer population within a given DMU nor can they determine the carrying capacity of the habitat. Sooner rather than later we will hear a crash.

Before implementing their plans, I believe that the DEC should effectively (by any proven scientific method) survey the deer population in each DMU and consider the effect each population has on the habitat.

As it stands, these plans are just that, plans without a purpose which do not benefit the deer nor the deer hunters.