dirty deeds

Pat Rockets

Well i guess this is one of those times i hate that i try to do the right thing.

The farmer who lives up the road and lets me hunt his property assured me he was getting nuisance permits and asked how i felt about that.

My first thought was..mother fu@#er..but i paused for a bit as he proceded to tell me he wanted to place me as the property wildlife manager and wanted me to be the soul person to take care of the "problem" because he knew id "care" about what i was doing..

I was floored by this and had come to realize that this was one of those times when a landowner is reaching out for help and i felt out of respect i should ablige..

He figures with the damages to last yrs crop..he lost aprox 8grand to wildlife...thats one chunk of property..he has 3..

Im not really feelin good about the whole thing..however the dec agent assured him if more people applied for nuisance prmts..then more dmp prmits can be issued..and it will help getting things movin for an earlier season

Also i feel obligated as i hunt his property and feel that if i do it..only antlerless will get taken and everything will be taken care  of properly..thoughts?

I t is just like a fee for hunting the property. Stack'em up. They eat just as well in the summer as they do in the fall. ..lol

Seriously though, you are providing a service to him for the ability to hunt there. Help him out and you very well will have acces sfor good. On the other side of the coin (and this happened to my cousin) He was asked to do about the same thing....didn't fill them because he didn't want to screw up the season.....the guy found someone that would.....that other guy now hunts the property and my cousin doesn't

Food for thought....it is a business to him...if the company you hired to pick up your trash wasn't doing it ...you would find one that would

I t is just like a fee for hunting the property. Stack'em up. They eat just as well in the summer as they do in the fall. ..lol

Seriously though, you are providing a service to him for the ability to hunt there. Help him out and you very well will have acces sfor good. On the other side of the coin (and this happened to my cousin) He was asked to do about the same thing....didn't fill them because he didn't want to screw up the season.....the guy found someone that would.....that other guy now hunts the property and my cousin doesn't

Food for thought....it is a business to him...if the company you hired to pick up your trash wasn't doing it ...you would find one that would

I agree.

About 5 years ago I saw a farmer being interviewed on TV . He was complaining about the overabundance of deer and the monetary loss to the farm . He said they had been losing $10000 - $15000 a year in crops . I talked to him and got a couple of permits . Got my son involved and we got more . The deer hit the fields from Mendon Ponds Park and Powder Mill Park .

Initially , I had mixed feelings about shooting deer this way . The farmer told me that if I didn't want to , he could get someone else . Now we are allowed to hunt some of these fields during Bow & Gun seasons .

When you shoot them in this warm weather , you have to process them real fast so the meat doesn't spoil . I have bought bags of ice sometimes to place in the body cavity to help cool the meat .

Pat..I understand your angst..

However, as other posters have said, if you don't do it, he'll get someone else..It may as well be done by someone who cares..

There is a lease near me where the landowner has DEC people come in every year and determine the number of deer that need to be taken to keep the herd in balance and the landowners crops relatively profitable...

The landowner makes no bones about it..If the guys on the lease don't kill enough deer every year, he will find somebody that will.. Hence they have BROWN IS DOWN days until the numbers are satisfied... As an interesting aside, the hunters manage to kill some fine bucks there every season, including a couple per year in the 150 class..

My only question would be does the landowner allow hunting on his farm in the fall to enough people to try and control the deer? Or does the situation require more permits to bring the deer numbers down hence the nuisance permits.As long as the deer doesn't go to waste I say do what you gotta do.I am glad I don't have to make that decision,I would be on the fence like you.I probably would help him out. Nice that he has a positive opinion of your ability to get the job done.

My only question would be does the landowner allow hunting on his farm  in the fall to enough people to try and control the deer? Or does the  situation require more permits to bring the deer numbers down hence the  nuisance permits.As long as the deer doesn't go to waste I say do what  you gotta do.I am glad I don't have to make that decision,I would be on  the fence like you.I probably would help him out. Nice that he has a  positive opinion of your ability to get the job done

I agree...don't really like them but as the above statement  and good luck....might want to make sure you have all ducks in a row well in advance to preserve the meat....We use old refrigerators with shelves taken out....coolers with lots of frozen milk jugs(no water that way)...and line up ppl that like and will use the meat....

I used to hunt a farm up in Monticello,He used to get the permits,we would shoot deer at night for him.You have to field dress fast and get the meat in the cooler.It never hurt our reg,or bow season.If you don't help you well loose that property.Go for it.

Pat, i use to have a lot of forest damage from to many deer. nothing growing from forest to 6ft plus. We hammer the doe here trying to take at least 10 a year starting in  95'. The hunting has only gotten better!! More and bigger bucks! We focus on adult doe with twin buttonbuck fawns..no mom to chase them away and they stay for a year or two. even though these are sm bucks they make you feel good sitting in a tree seeing 4-5 different bucks per sit. The older maturebucks come in to breed our doe and we get lucky and harvest a few.. Point is you removing nuisence deer gives you the meat you want to fill the freezer and lets you hunt longer for the one you want!! We've taken over 293 deer off my place since 93'  79 of those were antlered bucks. No matter how many we shoot there are always more to replace them, as deer move to better habitat, from lesser. Do the farmer and yourself the favor!!

Antlerless yes..but it only says centerfire rifle..no cartridge size..single projectile 20 gauge or higher..scoped it out last night...saw several..called a fox in too...was just a pup..skeets were  horrible..think im gonna try early mornin..come in to drink from pond..cooler temps to keep skeets down..try shootin single or no fawn doe..let the older more mature doe with 2 fawn walk

Do they have to be antlerless or do the permits not say?

I picked up 5 permits yesterday . 3 for my son and 2 for me . When they are filled , we can get more .

On page 1 under special conditions , it states ANTERLESS deer only .Permit valid only in crop fields when damage is occuring and is void when crop is final-harvested .