Thinking of gun season with Muzzleloader

Robhuntandfish

If your using sabots the hornady SST , XTP , and FTX in 250 or 300 grain in a harvester crush rib sabot will shoot and perform great . Buying bullets in bulk and sabot separate is far more economical then pre packages.

If you want a premium bullet the Barnes line or Thor bullets can't be beat.

If your using a conical I'm a huge fan of the hornady FPB in 350 grain, no sabot needed with these. In my white I use a 460 grain bull shops bullet sized to 504.5. No excuses make the same bullet in 460grain  nothing like a big chunk of lead hitting a deer.

Power belts are surely accurate, but they fragment oh to often for me.

• 1 month later...

Bought my CVA in 2016, didn't see any deer in late ML or any deer all of gun season in 2017, but I did use it the entire gun season and will do the same this year, but will only hunt gun a bit lazily due to not needing meat at this point.

I left the 120 gr 777 load in my gun since last season and shot it today @ 100 yards. I have no idea where the bullet went. The target was shot to hell so I can't tell if I was off by 8" or 8 feet. I then cleaned it, as I do after all shots, and put another bullet in. Off by about 1.5", next shot off by 1", adjusted scope .75" and literally dead nuts bullzeye. Shot a few out to 150 and it was pretty accurate.

Pretty sure last year I went a couple weeks and a few hunting trips and shot it to confirm and during the season (leave in garage between trips) it was still right on the money. 

I will use it because I don't have a legitimate hunting rifle (nor any particular desire for one), it's extremely accurate, it shoulders nicely, shoots well, isn't too heavy, etc. 

Based on a tip I got here I wrap the end of the barrel tightly in electrical tape. A balloon or the finger from a latex glove would be fine, too. Then the gun is pretty resistant to junk in the barrel.

Edited by Core

• 3 weeks later...

Last year was the first time in many years I carried a regular rifle with a scope and missed. This year back to the muzzy with open sights and nailed him. Started using the muzzy during regular season in southern zone when it was mostly non rifle. Could shoot farther and more accurate than a shot gun. I would not recommend leaving it in your garage in fear of condensation. I have alway brought mine in side and have never had a problem.

Edited by Marti375

8 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Did you do it rob,use the smoke pole for regular season? I sure am...

i didnt.  I bought a new .450 and been using that.  But i did save some time just for the muzzle season and also have two standing cornfields i can hunt that i didnt expect to have.  So kinda been saving it as something to look forward to.  

3 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i didnt.  I bought a new .450 and been using that.  But i did save some time just for the muzzle season and also have two standing cornfields i can hunt that i didnt expect to have.  So kinda been saving it as something to look forward to.  

Nice!! Good luck with it.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Marti375 said:

Last year was the first time in many years I carried a regular rifle with a scope and missed. This year back to the muzzy with open sights and nailed him. Started using the muzzy during regular season in southern zone when it was mostly non rifle. Could shoot farther and more accurate than a shot gun. I would not recommend leaving it in your garage in fear of condensation. I have alway brought mine in side and have never had a problem.

I do the exact opposite, I leave it in my garage for fear of condensation. Bringing it inside where its warm will cause the condensation

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I do the exact opposite, I leave it in my garage for fear of condensation. Bringing it inside where its warm will cause the condensation

This is what I was told by everyone. Going from hot to cold and vice versa will crate condensation and the powder will be useless. At least this is what I was told

55 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Oh it definitely is. I had to study the science behind condensation for my meteorology class I took a couple years ago

Soo,my inner physicist thinks the problem is going from a warm environment to cold,and not the other way around. Cold generally means dry air,and warm air holds more moisture. So when the gun goes from the house to the outdoors is probably when shit( condensation) happens.

48 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Soo,my inner physicist thinks the problem is going from a warm environment to cold,and not the other way around. Cold generally means dry air,and warm air holds more moisture. So when the gun goes from the house to the outdoors is probably when shit( condensation) happens.

Its actually both ways I think. A quick experiment shows that if you take a cold water bottle out of the fridge and keep it at room temperature, you'll quickly see condensation around the bottle. You are correct that warm air holds more moisture than cold air, so when you get something that goes from a cold enviornment to a warm enviornment, the cold object will cool the air around it. This then causes condensation becuase the air around the cold object reaches the saturation point of moisture, which then causes condensation. Obviously you are correct about going from warm to cold and the moisture inside the gun from the warm air causing condensation. 

• Like 2

I only hunt with my TC Triumph. I back it up with a Barnes Spitfire MZ and 83 grains of Blackorn 209. The gun does exactly what I ask it to do.I have just as much confidence in it as I do my wife or my Toyota.More often than not the deer just drop on the spot, A few times just as fast as I could reload it. weather its two deer in a hour or two deer in 30 seconds, this combo shoots very well. So at 200 yards I would be absolutely kicking myself if I had a shotgun in my hands.I was so glad I had my smokepole , that half racked 8 point didnt go fifty yards without a heart.I didnt even touch the shotgun this year. I mostly hunt alone so running deer are not my problem and a second shot is rarely needed unless another deer is standing there.Good luck with the smoke pole. they are deadly at longer ranges. And the season is almost upon us. Let Em Drop.