Backyard fox

Bigfoot 327

Ok, not really trail cam  pics. Shot through my kitchen  (screen) window with a hand held camera (Canon Power Shot).

Anyway, we seem to have a lot of red fox and few if any coyotes this year. In areas where the coyote population is high, do they drive the fox out? Our coyote population was real high several years ago, now they are scarce.

F6.JPG

F2.JPG

F5.JPG

F1.JPG

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Bigfoot 327 said:

In areas where the coyote population is high, do they drive the fox out? 

That's the theory, but in all honesty I've never noticed much of a difference through personal observations and trail cam footage.

We got lots of yotes AND plenty of fox. I believe the fox may alter some of their behaviors in coyote dense areas (hunting areas, den locations, day time activity, etc) but everything I have seen does not indicate they will force them out of an area. Coyotes may cover many, many, properties in a single night within their packs territorial range. Simply put, they roam a lot and may never even sleep in the same place twice.There would literally be no escape for the fox to find a safe sanctuary away from coyotes at this point. Fox tend to find a core area and stick to it simply adapting to the changes happening around them.

• Like 3

Thats the theory, as Wooly stated.. But I've never noticed it. I have high numbers of coyotes as well as foxes and many other predators at my camp. That being said, If a fox crosses paths with a coyote, im most certain the coyote will attack or chase off until the fox gets away, or gets caught. I think coyote wander much more than a fox does, no doubt but im not sure on the theory. Ive always heard that, but I dont believe it to be true, atleast not in my area... maybe other locations where other predator/prey numbers are thin.. not sure. 

A coyote will kill every fox they can catch. Have seen a number of reds killed in traps by coyotes. While they do coexist fox will have a tendency to not be seen  and more than likely if you see one it will be on the run.

Grays can and will climb a tree so they have an advantage over the red.

Coyotes can have an impact on the red fox population.

Coyotes can have a huge home range of 30 sq. miles or more. They are always on the move since they are very territorial. Since fox have a much smaller home range, they are very familiar with their surroundings and can usually dupe the yotes.
Of course a coyote would overtake a fox, but fox are quick and a yote would have better odds and expend less energy by pursuing other prey animals.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Little doubt a Coyote would kill a Fox if the opportunity arose but those opportunities would be more of a fluke and actual catches will be few and far between. When I was a young fellow I hunted Fox with running Hounds and there is no catching them, they are fast and have a bag of tricks to elude their pursuers., they almost seem to enjoy the race. They can run for hours and when they get tired of the race they will go to ground and the game is over. Unlike a running Hound which runs mostly by scent and use their nose on that scent to stay on the Fox wherever it goes, Coyotes are sight chasers and unless they happen to catch a Fox dosing in a big open field they will be left behind in short order once the Fox hits cover.

Al

2620399370033835012uZRkxF_ph.jpg

74983963hCGchd_fs.jpg

2097887100033835012MPcVfM_ph.jpg

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

We have a male and female roaming around i would to get. They have beautiful coats and colors the female is small but the male is the size of a small yote. I also have a large male yote on camera that is around the size of my weimaraner. Must be pushing 100 lbs. Pretty sure its the one i took a shot at last year with the bow he is big.

Here is a picture of the yote.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2b0729907db57c290095647526f9ab1f.jpg