Man bathroom project also PEX vs Copper thoughts?

burmjohn

Doing my man bathroom over and decided to do everything is PEX.  So far working with it has been pretty good, the 3/4 PEX is a little stiff to work with but I didnt want to use 1/2 inch because I also had a hose  bib that I needed to do a run for also that was right next to my bathroom.   Anyways, I went with the copper rings for crimping and they seem to have worked out well so far, going to do a full pressure test later today to see if I have any leaks before working on closing up the walls.  The crimping tool is a little bulky, I'm sure they make a smaller handle one to get into tight spaces.   

This is also the first time I've floated my own shower floor, watched a bunch of youtube videos and winged it.  

20180922_170904.jpg

• Like 1

pex is only way to go .. did a lot of tile work years ago and did friends cracked shower floor few years ago ..made mud base and tiled it..  dont forget to get shut of valves on everything easier now then later...

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

I went a little valve crazy because this bathroom is surrounded by cinderblock and tried to keep everything off the outside walls. Before I gutted it I had a pipe burst, but I never used this bathroom anyways because it was ghetto.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Looking Good!  Make sure when you place the river rock you are extra clean and neat. They are especially hard to clean thin set off of with all the irregular nooks and crannies..

Though that should be true of all tile work. It rarely pays to rush the install it always takes longer to clean after.. Don't ask me how much tile work it took for me to learn my lesson...lol

• Like 1

My house is PEX. I have probably a hundred pounds of brand new copper fittings in my shop that will be sold for pennies on the dollar if anyone is interested. My municipal water screws with copper big time. Not sure why, but it's heavily chlorinated. Any chemists can chime in here.

As far as the pipe size, and I guess you know this, think of it as a trunk with branches. The branches don't need the trunk sized water hose. When you reach a point where 1/2" will work, change that branch to 1/2". It's cheaper and easier to work with. There is very little in a house that will require a 3/4" water line. Hot water tank is about the only thing that comes to mind.

• Like 1