trail cam - hiding vs spooking

Robhuntandfish

Obviously when you remove a new trail cam from the packaging it has a lot of manufacturing process &/or assembly odors on it. If you place a new cam on a tree w/o removing those & your own scents, yeah the deer probably smell something different in their "hood". JMO, the biggest factor of how deer perceive or react to a cam is tied to how the property is used & intruded into. If you have property you enjoy year around & check cams frequently, the deer behave differently to intrusions & human odors. Conversely, if you rarely go onto the hunting property, a strange odor can be alarming to them.

Again JMO, those damned power indicator, triggering lights attract more attention than the cam, straps or odors do. Clearly any night time triggering with large LED flash arrays will get their immediate attention opposed to the more recent black light cam models.

Every deer is different as is every cam location, so do what works best for your situation. What I've found works best for me may not work for everyone!

Edited by nyslowhand

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 5:58 PM, cas said:

I'm curious about the "obviously spooked by them" comment and how you know this? One still photo and one running away? ;) 

I usually put mine about 9-10 feet up in a tree, more to help prevent theft than anything. I havee an older, crappier, "brighter", noisier one that I put at the base of trees because I don't care if it gets stolen. Even in photos where it's pretty obvious they know the camera is there (day or night), I've never seen anything to lead me to believe the were spooked by it. 

I have videos of bucks turning inside out at cams. Others, they actually lick the camera. I've posted several videos of examples in past years here.