Where can I buy lard?

Marti375

@Marti375 A couple potential options: Ask your grocery store with a real butcher department to save the pork "trimmings" for you, and then render it yourself or find a local farm that sell whole or half pigs and ask them if you could buy fat/leaf fat from them. Sometimes when people buy a half pig they don't get the all the parts, if you know what I mean. Last time we bought a pig, I got the fat, offal and the head. Lost the head in an unfortunate freezer incident where the door wasn't fully closed. I was so looking forward to roasting the pig head.

[mention=1458]Marti375[/mention] A couple potential options: Ask your grocery store with a real butcher department to save the pork "trimmings" for you, and then render it yourself or find a local farm that sell whole or half pigs and ask them if you could buy fat/leaf fat from them. Sometimes when people buy a half pig they don't get the all the parts, if you know what I mean. Last time we bought a pig, I got the fat, offal and the head. Lost the head in an unfortunate freezer incident where the door wasn't fully closed. I was so looking forward to roasting the pig head.

One of my very favorite meals ever was a BBQ/Smoked Pigs head from Greenhouse Tavern in Cleveland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, so most butchers these days a specialty shops that use everything, They would throw it out or give it away back in the day. That manteca stuff is processed garbage. For you guys looking for recipes pork fat is great to grind up with venison for sausage and burgers. Me, i'm to lazy for that. I just like to fry my steaks in it. I did manage to get about 4 pounds of trimmings from Price Chopper. Made enough for now, as you can see got a whole load of cracklings.

20181203_172524.jpg

I have a butcher in a small time grocery store that will hold his pork fat for me - usually just throwing it away so just bags it for me and freezes the amount in need. I have built a relationship with this guy however- first time I asked he told me it is against policy. Went back to ask him about his sausage making process, casings, plate sizes, best seasonings, and all of a sudden he gives me whatever I ask for....I always tip him and often will buy a steak he is currently cutting to “throw him a bone” even though I don’t love steak. He even offered to have me bring venison in to grind the last time I was there.

• Like 1

I have a butcher in a small time grocery store that will hold his pork fat for me - usually just throwing it away so just bags it for me and freezes the amount in need. I have built a relationship with this guy however- first time I asked he told me it is against policy. Went back to ask him about his sausage making process, casings, plate sizes, best seasonings, and all of a sudden he gives me whatever I ask for....I always tip him and often will buy a steak he is currently cutting to “throw him a bone” even though I don’t love steak. He even offered to have me bring venison in to grind the last time I was there.

That’s a great relationship to have. I bet you could get him to help you get that meat to fat ratio down too

• 1 month later...

Hmmmm...It always used to be on the shelf in the grocery store, next to the oils, shortenings, etc...I guess I haven't looked for it in years..   I'd second the suggestion to check out the Amish/Mennonite stores, if there are any in your area, unless you want get the pork fat and render your own...