First lever action.

I have toyed with the idea of buying a lever action. I would like a 44 mag and a big bore of 444 marlin or 45/70.  Not interested in 450 marlin or 35 anything. I do reload so ammo is not a major  as long as components availability.  The search is in the beginning stages .

I handled a marlin 45 /70 last week  new. Honestly fit and finish sucked. Loop edges were sharp. Stock to reciever match up was poor at best . Gaps on one side and proud on the other side.  Front site was on crooked. Perhaps  I should look for an  older model. 

Looking for info on models to look for that will be reliable  accurate . And  quality built with pride. I will probably  scope it as eyes aren't what they use to be. 

Is there a particular  barrel rate of twist that would lend to cast bullets as I cast for 45 and 44.

Obviously price is a consideration .. under 1 k.

Let's here it  what do you guys recomend.

it depends what you are using it for, the 44mag in the ruger 44 was a really nice brush/woods gun with in say 75-50 yds and didn't ruin much meat. some guys that hunted with hunted with that exclusively cause it was very lite.the 45-70 is good too with in its limits with in 100 yds you hit a deer its going down. Just stay away from the trapper /guide gun w/ the 16'' barrel its for very close work [that's why the Alaska guides use it as a back up gun].

• Like 1

A used marlin 45-50 pre Remington purchase.. should have serial no starting with mxxxx not rmxxx they have the strongest receiver and can be reloaded with max.load intended for single shot rifles. Winchester and Henry are nice but top eject does not allow for scope. My personal choices would be marlin 1895 guide.. marlin 1895 special purpose.  Then a Henry with steel receiver, then a Winchester.  Rossi does make a 45 -70 lever as well but not familiar enough with them to make an opinion one way or another.

A used marlin 45-50 pre Remington purchase.. should have serial no starting with mxxxx not rmxxx they have the strongest receiver and can be reloaded with max.load intended for single shot rifles. Winchester and Henry are nice but top eject does not allow for scope. My personal choices would be marlin 1895 guide.. marlin 1895 special purpose.  Then a Henry with steel receiver, then a Winchester.  Rossi does make a 45 -70 lever as well but not familiar enough with them to make an opinion one way or another.

Yup, look for the JM stamp on the Marlin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My deer rifle is a 2004 production Marlin 45/70 CB model with 26 in tapered octagon barrel.  Really love it, no complaints.  I have not shot cast bullets but it’s in my future plans.  

I have handled Remington produced Marlins and haven’t been impressed.  Lots of horror stories on the web but they say they are improving. Personally I’d look for an older Marlin or go with Henry if you like the looks and feel of them.  They seem quite heavy to me.  

Unless I’m really missing something, and that’s entirely possible   The Henry’s are side ejection allowing for a top mount scope just like a Marlin   Ive always been a Marlin guy so I’m likely biased in that direction, but the Henry’s are building a good reputation.  Trying to talk my son-in-law into buying one in 45/70 so I can try it out. They say the triggers are good and accuracy acceptable . 

The Marlin trigger can be smoothed up or replaced with a Happy Trigger   To me that’s an advantage if you don’t get a good one. All three of my Marlins weren’t bad, but with a little work they are all now 3-4 lbs and clean. What a difference that makes.

Thanks for the info guys .  Kind of rethinking  45/70. As far as brush and drive guns I have more than enough options  with the shotguns I already have. Which brings me back to my original  want  .

I think I will hold out and start looking for a 444 marlin after Christmas. I do know with my eyes what they are  what ever model will have have to be scoped.

Looked at a henry 44 mag yesterday brass . Think I  would prefer Steele. I was surprised at the weight of it. 

Also looked at a  new marlin in 44 . Longer barrel than henry. Fit and fin  sucked.  Apparently   remington has a problem with quality control  at all levels. Amazes me that they can't even checker a clean line any more. 

Thinking I will top what ever I get with a  4x scope. I  have a couple different models floating around .

• Like 1

Well good luck in your search for a .444.  Remington is rumored to be reintroducing them. The Marlins that are out there demand premium prices usually. 

The .444 was introduced in 1965 and until 1998 was 1-38 twist micro-groove rifling. Then from 1998 on was made with 1-20 twist Ballard style rifling.  Seems like most cast bullet shooters prefer the Ballard rifling to stabilize longer/ heavier cast bullets. Just something to consider in your search for a rifle. 

I don’t know if I’m allowed to point you toward another forum, but Marlin Owners . Com has lots of good reading on the subject.  As well as friendly knowledgeable folks that could answer any questions.  

• Like 1