Lottery success!

ANTLERS

Yea i drew a cow tag and tagged out on the second day there. I did not use an outfitter we did a DIY hunt, we found a local when we went up to scout who was very helpful to us and pointed us in the right direction. My cow dressed at 475 lbs at 1.5 years old. What part of Vermont did you draw a tag for?

Congrats, Antlers, nice draw.

I applied in Maine for years and years and finally gave up. Did VT and NH a few times with no luck either.

I did manage to draw a tag in New Brunswick in 2004.

This year I bit the bullet and booked a Newfoundland hunt, OTC tags and high success rates.

• 1 month later...

Might be a good idea to check with whatever guide you settled in on, just to see if everything is still alright with him after the hurricane (if you haven't already done so). I understand that a lot of Vermont got re-arranged by Irene.

• 1 month later...

Well I just returned from a successful moose hunt in Vermont.First let me start out saying this was the most physically demanding hunt I've ever done.My guide and I hit the woods early on sat. morning, opening day.After hiking several miles at the lower elevations and not seeing much sign, we moved higher up the mountain were we began seeing a lot of tracks,rubs that went 7 feet up a sapling,droppings,area's browsed out completly ect.Well after 3 days of hiking 4 miles a day at the higher elevation and seeing no moose at all,We began to decend the mountain.With an hour of sun light left,my guide whispers urgently for me to look to my right.The cow was standing 50 yards broadside looking at us but seemingly unconcerned.The first shot from my Sako .308 only caused her to flinch,The second made her unstable,and the third dropped her.A sense of total relief and celebration was quickly dowsed,When it dawned on us that we can't get an atv any where near this moose,and with an hour of sunlight left,We are 2 miles from the logging road.Well we spent the next 6 hours capeing,quartering and packing out all the meat with a packof coyotes trailing us in the darkness.The guide estimates her weight at 750 lbs and at least 5 to 6 years old.

post-348-0-82959400-1319078570_thumb.jpg

Edited by ANTLERS