Who makes the Best $2000 rifles

8 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

If they made a weatherby that was take down fit in a pack I would buy that in a second. 

I don't even think you know Roy Weatherby or the company made only a handful of rifles ever. Even thats up to debate.

He was a used car salesman and subcontracted manufacturing to a host of other makers....thats why there are German made Weatherby's, Mikoru made Weatherby's (same company makes Browning stuff), newer are by Howa and the 1500 and Vangaurd are the same thing.....

Can you have a take down based on a 9 lug basic Weatherby Mark v....sure. Any bolt action can be a takedown.

Of the perhaps 50 or 60 firearms I have bought, I never paid more than $500 for one.....However I bought my last new one in about 1993, I think... I have bought a few used ones since then..Last one I remember was a sporterized  03A3 Springfield that I paid $250 for with a Weaver 2x7 scope..

The most expensive gun I ever bought was a field grade Browning Citori, about 50 years ago...I believe they were retailing for about $750 at the time.. Interest rates were very high at the time and the Bank of Boulder, CO had a deal on Browning shotguns and Weatherby Mk V rifles.... I sent $1500 to the Bank and they sent me a Citori up front as interest on my $1500.. Six years later they sent me my $1500 back...Best deal I ever made...

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Dinsdale said:

I don't even think you know Roy Weatherby or the company made only a handful of rifles ever. Even thats up to debate.

He was a used car salesman and subcontracted manufacturing to a host of other makers....thats why there are German made Weatherby's, Mikoru made Weatherby's (same company makes Browning stuff), newer are by Howa and the 1500 and Vangaurd are the same thing.....

Can you have a take down based on a 9 lug basic Weatherby Mark v....sure. Any bolt action can be a takedown.

Actually I would like to  do that on my rem 700 . I'd rather not fool with the weatherby  for a takedown .

Names links who does it and most importantly who does it right?

30 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

WHY WOULD YOU WANT A TAKEDOWN RIFLE?

Because I like walking far back on  trails  on public land sometimes and it just  makes    it easier to carry and cover more ground that way .

And because I just want one.

Takes up less room in the house  

Edited by Storm914
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

WHY WOULD YOU WANT A TAKEDOWN RIFLE?

^^^ This.

I have a switch caliber that packs down, and doesn't suffer the repeatability issues of takedown traditional bolt actions;  but I have it because its traveled all over and frankly a smaller case is easier then a big one. And I do multiple species hunts and its easy to take just the extra barrel and not an entire second rifle for 2 different chamberings. And sometimes the full sized case still goes with a "standard" design (and is still a PIA) if that fits the need.

Takedowns started because it took months by multiple modes of travel to get from the British isles to the corners of the Empire and the gun needed to be packed away for long periods of transport and tucking it into a steamer trunk was easier then one long odd ball container prone to theft and damage.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

The most expensive gun I ever bought was a field grade Browning Citori, about 50 years ago...I believe they were retailing for about $750 at the time.. Interest rates were very high at the time and the Bank of Boulder, CO had a deal on Browning shotguns and Weatherby Mk V rifles.... I sent $1500 to the Bank and they sent me a Citori up front as interest on my $1500.. Six years later they sent me my $1500 back...Best deal I ever made...

My father and his buddy (the fellow who's land I hunt) did that same deal Dan.......back in 1976 or 77??  They both got the Grade 6 Citori in 20ga and both still own them. 

My father hunted his quite a bit for pheasant, quail (Mississippi) partridge, dove (Pennsylvania) and even a little duck.  Although it is an engraved gun with gold inlay I'm so happy he used it hard and didn't make it a safe queen. It has screw in chokes; does your Dan?

I always thought that was as cool of a thing as possible for a bank to do.  CD's paid off with GUNS instead of cash!!

• Like 2

I would love to find any bank or credit union that would have the backbone to make that deal these days.

I agree I would jump on that in a second.

Of the perhaps 50 or 60 firearms I have bought, I never paid more than $500 for one.....However I bought my last new one in about 1993, I think... I have bought a few used ones since then..Last one I remember was a sporterized  03A3 Springfield that I paid $250 for with a Weaver 2x7 scope..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

I have a switch caliber that packs down, and doesn't suffer the repeatability issues of takedown traditional bolt actions;  but I have it because its traveled all over and frankly a smaller case is easier then a big one. And I do multiple species hunts and its easy to take just the extra barrel and not an entire second rifle for 2 different chamberings. And sometimes the full sized case still goes with a "standard" design (and is still a PIA) if that fits the need.

Takedowns started because it took months by multiple modes of travel to get from the British isles to the corners of the Empire and the gun needed to be packed away for long periods of transport and tucking it into a steamer trunk was easier then one long odd ball container prone to theft and damage.

YOU I understand, him not so much.  I know it's just another one of his never ending questions on gear or places that he'll never act on.  Alrighty now, carry on.

How is the sap running??

2 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

^^^ This.

Yep , 

For some reason browning makes the blr lever gun in take down but they don't do the same with a bolt action 

If you do any amount of walking or travel with a gun it is  very useful to not have a 4  foot  object  to carry versus 2  foot object to carry . 

From the web......

Colorado Bank Won't Stop Giving Guns To Depositors

OTHER NEWS TO NOTE - WEST

January 7, 1994

BOULDER, COLO. — Bank of Boulder President Steve Bosley says he has no plans to stop the promotion that offers customers guns for certificates of deposit. The bank has offered expensive Weatherby and Browning shotguns and rifles in lieu of interest on long-term certificates of deposit since 1976. The promotion has netted nearly $30 million in deposits. About 12,000 guns have been distributed. ''You have to look at what kind of guns these are,'' Bosley said Wednesday. ''These are very large, very expensive guns used for hunting and target practice. . . . You can't carry them into a liquor store for a holdup.''

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

Still great gun  .

I can afford a blazer if I want one or a African hunt if I want one . 

But I rather go on vacation to places like this .

Im thinking Maybe later in life I will do the exotic Hunts .At least one .

20150723_151937.jpg

20150723_140317.jpg

20150723_151915.jpg

Storm, hands down you start the dumbest threads of anyone on this forum.

One doesn't need to spend anywhere near $2000 for a quality rifle that will last a lifetime.  Plenty out there.  I guess if I somehow needed to get another rifle I'd give a serious look at a Bergara that you can get for well under $1000.  They are nice and have a great reputation for accuracy.

With that said, my Remington 700 that I bought in 1985 will kill and put meat in the freezer for me just as good as a $5000 rifle so there is really no need for me to upgrade.  If you can't shoot an expensive rifle won't make you any better, while the guy who CAN shoot will outshoot you with even a clunker of a rifle.

13 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Storm, hands down you start the dumbest threads of anyone on this forum.

One doesn't need to spend anywhere near $2000 for a quality rifle that will last a lifetime.  Plenty out there.  I guess if I somehow needed to get another rifle I'd give a serious look at a Bergara that you can get for well under $1000.  They are nice and have a great reputation for accuracy.

With that said, my Remington 700 that I bought in 1985 will kill and put meat in the freezer for me just as good as a $5000 rifle so there is really no need for me to upgrade.  If you can't shoot an expensive rifle won't make you any better, while the guy who CAN shoot will outshoot you with even a clunker of a rifle.

I said $2000 and less I don't understand what's so dumb about that .

They have guns  hell of a lot more than that .

I have not bought a new gun  in years Except for 1 ,  so I really don't know who still makes good stuff anymore .

Before that 1 

Last time I bought a  gun Remington actually made good stuff now I hear they make crap.

Guns last!!! 

So why not spent some bucks on them once  in a while if you can 

I have a rem 700 also  from 1995 , Good gun 

Edited by Storm914

14 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

Still great gun  .

I can afford a blazer if I want one or a African hunt if I want one . 

But I rather go on vacation to places like this .

Im thinking Maybe later in life I will do the exotic Hunts .At least one .

Frankly I don't really care where you go on vacation or hunt.:sarcastichand:

I know lots of guys with different types of take down, switch barrel guns and not one of them packs the gun to walk on a trail even at extreme elevation. 

Lose weight or get in shape. They are far easier solutions.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

I know lots of guys with different types of take down, switch barrel guns and not one of them packs the gun to walk on a trail even at extreme elevation. 

I still don’t know why people are entertaining this Shumck. He contributes nothing except for bullshit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Dinsdale said:

You do it your way I do it my way .  One  fall  and you may want to rethink that  . My weatherby became a takedown when I fell down a hill . That is why there is now a synthetic stock on it  . 

23 minutes ago, chefhunter86 said:

I still don’t know why people are entertaining this Shumck. He contributes nothing except for bullshit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is interesting comment you put up there 

I Don't exactly see what you put up that so interesting on this  website ?

Maybe  if I wanted to fall asleep it has  usefulness  but besides that I don't see it .

Yawn boring chef  :)

Edited by Storm914

1 hour ago, Storm914 said:

Yep , 

For some reason browning makes the blr lever gun in take down but they don't do the same with a bolt action 

If you do any amount of walking or travel with a gun it is  very useful to not have a 4  foot  object  to carry versus 2  foot object to carry . 

I actually enjoy walking with my rifle. And hell, who knows I might even actually shoot something that I'm hunting, betweem points A and B.

Most 'REAL' hunters understand this concept. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, grampy said:

I actually enjoy walking with my rifle. And hell, who knows I might even actually shoot something that I'm hunting, betweem points A and B.

Most 'REAL' hunters understand this concept. 

And when you are not hunting it's just a awkward bulky  metal pole that's slowing you down . 

If you walk 200 yards  to  a stand  you will never get it .

If you walk 5 miles  or more you will .  

Edited by Storm914
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Storm914 said:

You do it your way I do it my way .  One  fall  and you may want to rethink that  . My weatherby became a takedown when I fell down a hill . That is why there is now a synthetic stock on it  . 

You really haven't a clue on who you are talking to, do you?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

You really haven't a clue on who you are talking to, do you?

Who him I know he hunts all over the world. He can do what  ever he wants not my business. I have been hunting state lands for over 30 years I think I know by now which way I like to do things that don't mean it is the best way  for everyone. 

If I  think it is better to be able to take a rifle down in the field  that's my choice. 

I don't give advice or even claim I am a great hunter frankly.  I don't take it seriously it is  all just for fun  to me .

Anyway thanks guys  you gave me a few new  things to  look at .

Edited by Storm914

3 hours ago, Dinsdale said:

Interesting to know . All I know mine works  well . 

Blaser  isn't  perfect either 

Blaser Rifles, imported by Sigarms, has announced a safety recall of all Blaser R93 hunting rifles. Sigarms warns that use of the R93 rifle may result in an accident, severe injury or death. According to Sigarms, the recall is being conducted to inspect therifle's trigger assembly.

Edited by Storm914