Sign in to follow this  
G-Man

It's about that time...

Recommended Posts

Time to start working up ground for winterpeas, turnips, sugarbeets, winter rye..  was able to sneak out of work and got 2 acres plowed ,one for turnip and one for winterpeas.  I have about a half.acre piece that was to wet to plant corn and that will be disked again for sugar beets.. 

Also sprayed corn and grasses in orchard so I can level and smooth ground and get planted into clover/ oats later this summer.. 

I dont plant till mid July but its not.raining so..ground prep is a good thing to do it also allows ample.time.to disk/ harrow and wait as new seed sprout and then disk / harrow again before planting target crop. This cuts down on amount of spray needed to keep weed free..

Anyone else in fall/ winter plot prep mode?

  • Like 3

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, G-Man said:

Time to start working up ground for winterpeas, turnips, sugarbeets, winter rye..  was able to sneak out of work and got 2 acres plowed ,one for turnip and one for winterpeas.  I have about a half.acre piece that was to wet to plant corn and that will be disked again for sugar beets.. 

Also sprayed corn and grasses in orchard so I can level and smooth ground and get planted into clover/ oats later this summer.. 

I dont plant till mid July but its not.raining so..ground prep is a good thing to do it also allows ample.time.to disk/ harrow and wait as new seed sprout and then disk / harrow again before planting target crop. This cuts down on amount of spray needed to keep weed free..

Anyone else in fall/ winter plot prep mode?

I just sprayed again but I don’t have earth moving equipment so only no till for me. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I already sprayed a new plot site. Headed up Sunday to camp and will spend a few days expanding the new plot and respraying if necessary. Will disk it if everything is already dead. Low ph and I only was able to spray liquid lime so I may go straight rye or wheat to build soil fertility. Some pellet lime will be added but that won't help me out till next year. 

 

Do you guys have luck overseeing your clover plots with radish?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, corydd7 said:

 

Do you guys have luck overseeing your clover plots with radish?

I'll do with radish or turnip.  They will out grow the clover if you mow it 1st.

  • Like 2

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh yeah i started,, mowed some weeds down in some plots sprayed others today..... will start turning dirt in about 2 weeks, then planting early august

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both plots plowed up separated by corn. 20190628_083709.thumb.jpg.e9ebd065de724c194a8f499ead2994e6.jpg20190628_083432.thumb.jpg.1b6914b0c7b7cb0e02cb150c6a738e78.jpg20190628_083546.thumb.jpg.e4fdf458af4f062c3a4b00417d1f08a9.jpg

and a good neighbor got all 3 plots disked all ready to plant this weekend!!FB_IMG_1562072399329.thumb.jpg.3a135c56ae0fb2693393068aacbbf23b.jpgthis one will be turnip.

FB_IMG_1562072407608.jpg.95f64c53bed5e1844d58aefcb46da2ab.jpgthis one will be sugar beets

FB_IMG_1562072403110.thumb.jpg.464556bebc5b7300e6d917e55889d5a6.jpgand this one will be winterpeas

  • Like 4

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only have a couple 1/3rd acre or so spots, which I just don't have the time or tools to annually plow / prepare for feed like I would like too, but I keep them cut down usually twice a year and the deer like the new wild sprouts...

I have wild apples, and have supplemented them with some more and try to keep them pruned up, brush cleared away and each winter cut back more surrounding sun blocking trees. I have also slowly cleared and planted white and red oaks which seem to be doing well.  I only have ten acres of woodland (overgrown farmland about fifty years ago) which doesn't give me much to work with, but the deer already use my land so I am trying to build in attractants and some mast that will hold them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gman. I think you should host a woods walk for us and see first hand all the things your doing.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Switching gears to habitat improvements!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am kinda at the mercy of the farmer in my best piece of land.  They of course rotate crops . Hoping this year they do all the same as last year. And so far they have the same fields planted just don't know what it is yet. Beans or corn. Corn works much better cause I can sneak in a lot better.  Beans bring em in but they are field edges in have to use to sneak in and with beans I get busted a lot! And it always seems once they aren't green anymore they move to other fields .  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, zag said:

Gman. I think you should host a woods walk for us and see first hand all the things your doing.

I second this motion.  I'm teetering on the edge of doing my first real plot this year, and wondering what to plant that will bring them in post-rut.  Got the tractor, got the land, even have an acre spot brush hogged and surrounded by scrub brush.


'08 Bowtech Commander

GoldTip Hunter Expedition's w/ Rage 2 Blades

Remington 700 .308

Mossberg 500 Pump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Daveboone said:

I only have a couple 1/3rd acre or so spots, which I just don't have the time or tools to annually plow / prepare for feed like I would like too, but I keep them cut down usually twice a year and the deer like the new wild sprouts...

I have wild apples, and have supplemented them with some more and try to keep them pruned up, brush cleared away and each winter cut back more surrounding sun blocking trees. I have also slowly cleared and planted white and red oaks which seem to be doing well.  I only have ten acres of woodland (overgrown farmland about fifty years ago) which doesn't give me much to work with, but the deer already use my land so I am trying to build in attractants and some mast that will hold them.

Properly managed small.acerages can be mini hot spots.  Though I have found cover to be most important. Even if deer feed off your property if they have good safe bedding cover they will return and stay no matter how far away they feed


I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I am kinda at the mercy of the farmer in my best piece of land.  They of course rotate crops . Hoping this year they do all the same as last year. And so far they have the same fields planted just don't know what it is yet. Beans or corn. Corn works much better cause I can sneak in a lot better.  Beans bring em in but they are field edges in have to use to sneak in and with beans I get busted a lot! And it always seems once they aren't green anymore they move to other fields .  

I have had same problem along neighbors line the deer bed just off the field in his woods and I spook them walking in many times ,I am.trying a screening planting of sorghum and Egyptian wheat to allow access to stands along that edge about 8 to 10 ft wide.. it's just all sprouted so I am anxiously watching it grow.

  • Like 1

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

I second this motion.  I'm teetering on the edge of doing my first real plot this year, and wondering what to plant that will bring them in post-rut.  Got the tractor, got the land, even have an acre spot brush hogged and surrounded by scrub brush.

I would tell you to go with a brassica/ clover blend, though it may take them a year to figure out what brassica is. It is a powerful draw. But not for 1st year plot when you want to see instants success 

If it was spring I would broad cast corn ,though way to late this year.

As a 1st year plot buckwheat only need 8 weeks to mature, but would not be the late draw you want.though early season for deer and Turkey it cant be beat,  a good winter rye/wheat would be very effective laste season and be bonus patch in spring for Turkey, could then plow under and plant brassica for following fall.. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zag said:

Gman. I think you should host a woods walk for us and see first hand all the things your doing.

I'm really not good in crowds, but would be willing to do small group/ individual visit.


I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I'm really not good in crowds, but would be willing to do small group/ individual visit.

Well I might hit u up sometime, love to learn some things!

  • Like 1

Switching gears to habitat improvements!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, G-Man said:

I have had same problem along neighbors line the deer bed just off the field in his woods and I spook them walking in many times ,I am.trying a screening planting of sorghum and Egyptian wheat to allow access to stands along that edge about 8 to 10 ft wide.. it's just all sprouted so I am anxiously watching it grow.

am really hoping they plant corn cause last year, in this one field, i sat there three times and killed three deer.  Can only hunt it on an east wind and wont hunt it early season.  I guess the good part is i dont have to do all the work but it sure must be nice to do any changes you want to.  And its part of the fun doing the setups.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2019 at 8:06 PM, G-Man said:

I would tell you to go with a brassica/ clover blend, though it may take them a year to figure out what brassica is. It is a powerful draw. But not for 1st year plot when you want to see instants success 

If it was spring I would broad cast corn ,though way to late this year.

As a 1st year plot buckwheat only need 8 weeks to mature, but would not be the late draw you want.though early season for deer and Turkey it cant be beat,  a good winter rye/wheat would be very effective laste season and be bonus patch in spring for Turkey, could then plow under and plant brassica for following fall.. 

Taking a sample to the Cornell co-op today for analysis, planning on doing the winter rye/wheat.  Really appreciate the advice!


'08 Bowtech Commander

GoldTip Hunter Expedition's w/ Rage 2 Blades

Remington 700 .308

Mossberg 500 Pump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Soil pH is 6.6, seems like I'm good to go!  Now, just have to get my uncles disc farrow over, buy about 40lbs of winter rye & wheat, and get to work!

  • Like 1

'08 Bowtech Commander

GoldTip Hunter Expedition's w/ Rage 2 Blades

Remington 700 .308

Mossberg 500 Pump

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well ordered my seed to day , big n beasty, wintergreens and oats... will plant the first 2 around first week of august oats at the very end of august

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Soil pH is 6.6, seems like I'm good to go!  Now, just have to get my uncles disc farrow over, buy about 40lbs of winter rye & wheat, and get to work!

I would wait till last week of August or early September for that wheat and rye. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Headed up tomorrow morning, I screwed up my back pretty good and spent most of the week in bed but I plan on getting as much done as possible. Beets and greens into an existing clover plot, check to see how the corn is coming along and having my dad cut down some trees on the new plot for some edge cover. Exciting time of year. Planned on tilling the new plot I sprayed but don't think that will happen.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Time to start working up ground for winterpeas, turnips, sugarbeets, winter rye..  was able to sneak out of work and got 2 acres plowed ,one for turnip and one for winterpeas.  I have about a half.acre piece that was to wet to plant corn and that will be disked again for sugar beets.. 
Also sprayed corn and grasses in orchard so I can level and smooth ground and get planted into clover/ oats later this summer.. 
I dont plant till mid July but its not.raining so..ground prep is a good thing to do it also allows ample.time.to disk/ harrow and wait as new seed sprout and then disk / harrow again before planting target crop. This cuts down on amount of spray needed to keep weed free..
Anyone else in fall/ winter plot prep mode?


For A tiny WInter Rye spot, you suggest throwing it down late September in hopes its not all eaten by 10/1 opener?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.