Jeep wangler/ Rubicon how do they drive ?

Hunter007

Can't give any input on the ride. Couple years ago I did some shopping for a Jeep, which I'd always wanted. Got a small Jeep SUV and sorry I did. Lot of better riding, cheaper, more "bang for the buck" SUVs with 4WD or AWD on the market. If you're determined to get a Jeep, when shopping bet you'll find you can get a better, more family friendly, road-worthy Jeep model for same/less $$ than the Wrangler Rubicon. But ... If money is no object and you want to go off-roading with a ~$45+k SUV, go for it!

Check out Edmund's review.

Edited by nyslowhand
  • Like 2

A buddy of mine has a Wrangler Rubicon.  His is loaded with every option including leather seats.  Very expensive.  First thing I noticed was how stiff the ride is.  Not smooth at all.  You really feel the road in it.  Some people like that feeling.  I find it to be uncomfortable.

My best friends wife has one , at one time i was looking to get a comanche . I asked my buddy to talk me out of it . His response "That's easy , they're under powered,bad on gas and cost a fortune to fix " Maybe they have addressed the lack of power and and fuel mileage with the newer models but the definitely still cost a fortune .   

Yes  keeping my car want truck for hunting and traveling mostly.  They have so many versions and options it gets confusing  really want 3 things the new adaptive cruise control and leather seats   and power doors  locks and seats . All the other extras not really interested  like better off road options .  Since I know even the base model are good off road more then most vehicles already .

Not sure how much all that will cost look online price is all over the place lists at 28k To 50K  going to dealer to take a look today probably . 

Even with a 2.5” lift and 35” tires, mine has a pretty good ride.  Not as smooth as the raptor was but more than adequate.   I think the longer wheel base of the 4 door makes a difference.  I have enjoyed mine immensely this summer.   Not another vehicle I can think of that I can remove the top and doors, drive through the fields, tow my ATV and still use as a daily driver with the family.  

AF4B4E8D-A2BD-44F0-A5B9-9C973B8E2FBB.jpeg

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 7

54 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Even with a 2.5” lift and 35” tires, mine has a pretty good ride.  Not as smooth as the raptor was but more than adequate.   I think the longer wheel base of the 4 door makes a difference.  I have enjoyed mine immensely this summer.   Not another vehicle I can think of that I can remove the top and doors, drive through the fields, tow my ATV and still use as a daily driver with the family.  

AF4B4E8D-A2BD-44F0-A5B9-9C973B8E2FBB.jpeg

Highway 70 80 mph no problem?  you feel in control if you know what I mean ?

So I went back there at 330 place closes at 4 like only the most shifty sales guy was still working there  so now I have to go back to a different dealership that has more inventory since that guy seemed like he was trying to sell me  more truck then I need  . I told him i only want xt and z option and he keeps on saying you can't only get that with out this that and the other thing .

Not even sure what he was saying was true .

Price online I saw was much less then what he said . 

But I like the truck may still get it not from that dealership though. 

So I went back there at 330 place closes at 4 like only the most shifty sales guy was still working there  so now I have to go back to a different dealership that has more inventory since that guy seemed like he was trying to sell me  more truck then I need  . I told him i only want xt and z option and he keeps on saying you can't only get that with out this that and the other thing .

Not even sure what he was saying was true .
Price online I saw was much less then what he said . 
But I like the truck may still get it not from that dealership though. 

I obviously don’t know exactly what options your looking for and such, but I do know that these days you really can’t get certain options without a bunch of others you don’t want. Gone are the days where you could build a vehicle with only the exact options you want. To save time and money manufacturers lump a certain amount of options together, so the sales guy might be 100% correct. Again, Idk what exactly you want but there’s a more than good chance he’s correct.

7 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

I obviously don’t know exactly what options your looking for and such, but I do know that these days you really can’t get certain options without a bunch of others you don’t want. Gone are the days where you could build a vehicle with only the exact options you want. To save time and money manufacturers lump a certain amount of options together, so the sales guy might be 100% correct. Again, Idk what exactly you want but there’s a more than good chance he’s correct.

They didn't have it in the lot anyway what I wanted . So I still want to look at the other dealership. 

23 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Go to 3:30 mark in this movie and tell me you would trust that guy :) 

Just now, ny hunter said:

I bought my jeep in Larchtmont....I dealt with a guy named Mike......I have his info in my truck I well get it to you later bro..

I bought a Grand Cherokee in April..

Cool but they have small  inventory over there going upstate they have lots full of them up there to choose from. 

If you have a very specific set of options, color or trim you want - some dealerships will search other dealerships for a vehicle with your preferred options.  Vehicle match is then sent to the dealer's lot near you. BTW - has to be a sales person that is willing to help satisfy your request and not trying to dazzle you with BS. Probably have to deal with the Sales Mgr directly and not the intermediary "runners" like most dealership sales departments are s/u!!! Not sure how this works when one dealer gets a vehicle from another to sell to you, but they can do it!

Edited by nyslowhand

I'm assuming that means there reliable vehicles  I guess right .

Yes they are reliable. They’ve had decades to make them that way as the wrangler model has been around for a long time. If they weren’t reliable I’d seriously question what the hell they were doing over there at Jeep. But mostly they are good winter vehicles, and being that we get way more snow up here and have to drive longer distances between work, home and play, they tend to be very popular.
  • Like 2

They have high resale and are strong performers off road. Reliability isn't amazing from what I've read, the ride is bad, the gas mileage is terrible. Apparently a lot of those issues have been resolved in the current gen, and it drives nicely.

Given their resale I'd consider buying a new one. 

I often look into getting one but when I start weighing all the factors can never quite get there. I'm cheap, though.

• Like 1