Jeep wangler/ Rubicon how do they drive ?

Hunter007

I,too, looked into one but was under-wowed by their ability to store gear. Limited trunk space, and typically, once my car is loaded for the season it says loaded until the end. That means Oct 1-Dec 31 and still have lots of drop off pick up of kids at sports so I needed the truck space for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

My wife has been driving Jeeps for 30 years. They are as reliable as anything else out there. We have never had a major problem with any of them. Wranglers ride like you expect them too, a little stiff, but they are purpose built, not a luxury car. I personally do not like how the new JL steering feels, but that's just me. My wife currently has an '18 Sahara Unlimited and like every other Jeep she has had, she loves it so much she's going to "Keep this thing forever!" I hope so, because they aren't cheap as you are finding out I'm sure.  The only other vehicles that hold resale as well as a Wrangler is a Toyota Tacoma or 4 Runner so don't even worry about that. My Ram Hemi gets better mileage, but who cares, if I was worried about gas mileage I wouldn't buy trucks.  She averages 18mpg with an even split highway and city driving. 

I'm not sure how asking these questions helps you decision though, go drive one. You will know instantly if you are in love. If you're not, don't feel bad, remember just like the bumper stickers say... "It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand" 

Oh, and my Boss just sold her 2007 JK "farm truck" with 290,000 miles on it for $4,500...

Edited by FatBoyD
typo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, crappyice said:

I,too, looked into one but was under-wowed by their ability to store gear. Limited trunk space, and typically, once my car is loaded for the season it says loaded until the end. That means Oct 1-Dec 31 and still have lots of drop off pick up of kids at sports so I needed the truck space for sure.

Glad to see I'm not the only one. This is also one of the reasons I love my minivan :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FatBoyD said:

The only other vehicles that hold resale as well as a Wrangler is a Toyota Tacoma or 4 Runner so don't even worry about that.

Truth. Actually the tacoma holds its value so well I've seen some amazingly good lease deals on them, because the lease payments are based on the difference between the sale and residual. People have been leasing brand new tacomas for mid $200-s. With nothing out of pocket at signing. https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/2019-tacoma-double-cab-off-road-mt-36-12-251-15-mo-10msds-1st-das-msrp-38-070/116390 (for those not familiar with terminology an MSD is a "loan"--you get it back when you turn the car in at the end of the lease).

Edited by Core

Going with the Cherokee instead more roam  drives more like a car but still better then most SUVs for off road anyway from what I read. 

My shoulders were almost out the window of the Wrangler  I'm to big for it didn't like that at all feeling , felt cramped. 

Wangler  is cool looking and awesome if you are planning on doing some hardcore off roading  ,  I'm not .

I never really noticed before but there all over the place around here . 

Edited by Hunter007

8 minutes ago, Hunter007 said:

Going with the Cherokee instead more roam  drives more like a car but still better then most SUVs for off road anyway from what I read. 

My shoulders were almost out the window of the Wrangler  I'm to big for it didn't like that at all feeling , felt cramped. 

Wangler  is cool looking and awesome if you are planning on doing some hardcore off roading  ,  I'm not .

I cringe whenever I see a vehicle with "Cherokee" written on it.  Bad memories from a 1977 Cherokee Chief that one of my favorite uncles owned.  American Motors used to make them back then.  His looked exactly like the one pictured.  Biggest piece of junk that was ever let out on the road.  It was the vehicle that we took hunting back then, when it wasn't in the shop being repaired of course.  LOL

10709341-1978-jeep-cherokee-chief-std.jpg

• Like 1

Pretty sure they give them out with large purchases of Vineyard Vine clothing products or if you have multiple trips on The Nantucket ferry.
That being said I have my sisters now as she needed my minivan to move her daughter back to college.
235432ce9da5240dc01da5e9edeb01b2.jpg
Not a comfortable ride-loud, tight, feel every bump. But I do feel like a cool kid so....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, steve863 said:

I cringe whenever I see a vehicle with "Cherokee" written on it.  Bad memories from a 1977 Cherokee Chief that one of my favorite uncles owned.  American Motors used to make them back then.  His looked exactly like the one pictured.  Biggest piece of junk that was ever let out on the road.  It was the vehicle that we took hunting back then, when it wasn't in the shop being repaired of course.  LOL

10709341-1978-jeep-cherokee-chief-std.jpg

If this thing shows any signs  of being bad , I'm trading it in for either a Toyota   Honda or Lexus lol in  a year 

9 minutes ago, ny hunter said:

HUNTER go see Mike at Larchmont he gave me a great deal....

The ones I like not there I'm buying it at the dealership in Rockland  they  have maybe 100 to choose from up there already talked to the guy going back there to pick it up tomorrow or next few days  there is  like 3 or 4   different ones I like up there still deciding  On which one I like better .

Edited by Hunter007
  • Like 1

I’ve owned 2 Sahara’s. Everything’s been touched on already, poor gas mileage, hard ride ect. The Jeep was designed for the military, It is what it is. I need it to get thru blizzards and off roading to access my property during hunting season. My real complaint is the angle of the windshield design. Almost straight up, It’s been improved with the 2018 model. You get every rock kicked up by the vehicle in front right into the window. I’ve replaced 3 in 10 years. 

• Like 2

I gotta laugh at how many suburban housewives drive radical Wranglers, Rubicons, Saharas and the like.  It's not as if they will ever go off road with the thing.  I doubt they could change a flat tire on it if they had to.  What's the attraction to these women?  All I can imagine is that it's trendy.

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Rattler said:

I gotta laugh at how many suburban housewives drive radical Wranglers, Rubicons, Saharas and the like.  It's not as if they will ever go off road with the thing.  I doubt they could change a flat tire on it if they had to.  What's the attraction to these women?  All I can imagine is that it's trendy.

It's the new fad ,they're every where . 

Not sure how big Stormy is but at 6'1" and 340lbs, I have no problem with the room in the jeep.  They certainly don't ride like a luxury car, but I also don't find them to ride any different than the typical pick up.  That said, I have the recon which has a different suspension (springs and shocks) than the typical sports or saharas.   

For me, and maybe the soccer moms, the idea of a SUV as a daily driver and sized for use with kids where the top and doors can be dropped was mighty appealing and I will bet that over the summer I drove it topless as much as with the top.  Doesn't hurt that its reasonably capable offroad.    But if I was one that didn't drop the top regularly, a PU is probably more practical.  Or if I needed room for 7, a bigger SUV is the way to go.  Or if I wanted a dead silent vehicle that rides like its on a cloud, a luxury sedan would do.  Or if I wanted a fast vehicle that handled on rails, a sports sedan or sports car is the ticket.  To each his own and personal preferences/needs rule the day.

Holding great resale value is nice too, but I really don't buy vehicles based on that. 

48 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Not sure how big Stormy is but at 6'1" and 340lbs, I have no problem with the room in the jeep.  They certainly don't ride like a luxury car, but I also don't find them to ride any different than the typical pick up.  That said, I have the recon which has a different suspension (springs and shocks) than the typical sports or saharas.   

For me, and maybe the soccer moms, the idea of a SUV as a daily driver and sized for use with kids where the top and doors can be dropped was mighty appealing and I will bet that over the summer I drove it topless as much as with the top.  Doesn't hurt that its reasonably capable offroad.    But if I was one that didn't drop the top regularly, a PU is probably more practical.  Or if I needed room for 7, a bigger SUV is the way to go.  Or if I wanted a dead silent vehicle that rides like its on a cloud, a luxury sedan would do.  Or if I wanted a fast vehicle that handled on rails, a sports sedan or sports car is the ticket.  To each his own and personal preferences/needs rule the day.

Holding great resale value is nice too, but I really don't buy vehicles based on that. 

6'2  between 270 and 290 depending on what I eat for  lunch and dinner lol 

You just got use to it  or I have wider shoulders then you . 

I like driving with my elbow on  side of the car I noticed on the wangler I would have to literally have my shoulder out the window kinda .

Then I got into the Cherokee not as bad but still felt cramped so I'm  going with the grand Cherokee the full size one  with leather trim .  

To make the wangler more stable they have moved the mass of the truck inward  meaning wider wheel base with narrow cabin on top .  For a normal size guy probably not going notice much  but I do . 

Wanger Looks cool as hell though 

But for me I like comfort and practicality   over anything else though . 

Edited by Hunter007

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

It's the new fad ,they're every where . 

I don't even know of a single place in this state that you could use the off road capability of a wangler  That's open to the public and I seriously dought these soccer moms have houndeds of acres somewhere to use one on private property . 

Edited by Hunter007

1 hour ago, Rattler said:

Seriously. Man would my wife smack you into place!  LOL!  At 52 years old, and all of 102 lbs, when she isn't whipping her dirt bike off of jumps she's getting her jeep muddy.

Haters gonna hate. I'll say it again. It's a JEEP thing, you wouldn't understand.

13 minutes ago, Hunter007 said:

6'2  between 270 and 290 depending on what I eat for  lunch and dinner lol 

You just got use to it  or I have wider shoulders then you . 

I like driving with my elbow on  side of the car I noticed on the wangler I would have to literally have my shoulder out the window kinda

I'm 6'5, 270. It's a bit tight for me if I'm wearing bulky winter clothing, but once those doors are off who cares!   I love that my wife loves them, but I wouldn't be able to do without the room and bed of a truck personally.  At this stage of my life anyway.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hunter007 said:

I don't even know of a single place in this state that you could use the off road capability of a wangler  That's open to the public and I seriously dought these soccer moms have houndeds of acres somewhere to use one on private property . 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2_O_f01vpU

Plenty of places to off-road in the north east. 

10 minutes ago, FatBoyD said:

Seriously. Man would my wife smack you into place!  LOL!  At 52 years old, and all of 102 lbs, when she isn't whipping her dirt bike off of jumps she's getting her jeep muddy.

Haters gonna hate. I'll say it again. It's a JEEP thing, you wouldn't understand.

I'm 6'5, 270. It's a bit tight for me if I'm wearing bulky winter clothing, but once those doors are off who cares!   I love that my wife loves them, but I wouldn't be able to do without the room and bed of a truck personally.  At this stage of my life anyway.

Doors off? Roof off?  i have a sun roof on my car  I think I open it maybe once in 10 years .

Just Not my thing 

18 minutes ago, Hunter007 said:

I don't even know of a single place in this state that you could use the off road capability of a wangler  That's open to the public

You obviously have not driven north (or south) on rt. 81 from about Central Square to Watertown in one of those lovely storms that come whipping across the Tug Hill Plateau area and dump snow deeper than the height of most four wheel drive vehicles. You haven't lived until you have experienced that; and yes comfort would be nice when stuck in a snow bank for hours on end.:o

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve D said:

You obviously have not driven north (or south) on rt. 81 from about Central Square to Watertown in one of those lovely storms that come whipping across the Tug Hill Plateau area and dump snow deeper than the height of most four wheel drive vehicles. You haven't lived until you have experienced that; and yes comfort would be nice when stuck in a snow bank for hours on end.:o

Well doesn't the grand Cherokee have great snow off road capability as well granted not as much as the wangler but better then most SUVs  on the market today , most are just glorified station wagons  from what a read .