Hunting lease

Iluvracks1359

Just now, Iluvracks1359 said:

So I'm very seriously looking into leasing land, and doing some research I found this group called base camp leasing.  Has anyone ever done business with them? Know anything about them? They seem to have some good deals

I have been with them for the past couple years it’s legit ... Hate the price increase though after every year 

6 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I’ve done several with base camp. I haven’t had many problems but if you do you will get zero help from them.
They take the money, show you the property, and that’s the end of it for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I go through hunting lease  network and it’s the same , very hard to get ahold of anyone. 

On 10/17/2019 at 10:50 PM, The_Real_TCIII said:

I’ve done several with base camp. I haven’t had many problems but if you do you will get zero help from them.
They take the money, show you the property, and that’s the end of it for them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

How much you guys paying for leases ($/acre)? I've looked at both of them but found the pricing to be pretty egregious, or at least compared to what farmers around me are willing to take.

3 hours ago, TheHornHunter said:

How much you guys paying for leases ($/acre)? I've looked at both of them but found the pricing to be pretty egregious, or at least compared to what farmers around me are willing to take.

A lot of it depends on what you are getting for your lease.  access with others also leasing? Exclusive hunting rights during a specific season? Exclusive hunting rights for all hunting seasons? Use of the property 365 days a year? Allowed to place a trailer or build a camp on it?  It all factors in. 

What do you consider "egregious"?

3 hours ago, TheHornHunter said:

Seeing the bucks you take and have on cam, I would stick with what you have.  lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

A lot of it depends on what you are getting for your lease.  access with others also leasing? Exclusive hunting rights during a specific season? Exclusive hunting rights for all hunting seasons? Use of the property 365 days a year? Allowed to place a trailer or build a camp on it?  It all factors in. 

What do you consider "egregious"?

Fair points. All my leases are exclusive hunting rights for all seasons with the exception of one that the farmer retains spring Turkey rights so I assumed most others were like that. I haven't really looked at them the past year but if I remember right pretty much everything on hunt lease network was at least $30/acre in my area (Rochester) while base camp was a little better but still $20+/acre. For high quality ground I'll offer up to $20/acre for timber and $5/acre for field which for most of my properties ends up being about $10/acre since they are about 2/3 ag and 1/3 timber. I'm yet to have any farmers turn it down but it's definitely taken some leg work to find those that are open to leasing.

17 hours ago, TheHornHunter said:

Fair points. All my leases are exclusive hunting rights for all seasons with the exception of one that the farmer retains spring Turkey rights so I assumed most others were like that. I haven't really looked at them the past year but if I remember right pretty much everything on hunt lease network was at least $30/acre in my area (Rochester) while base camp was a little better but still $20+/acre. For high quality ground I'll offer up to $20/acre for timber and $5/acre for field which for most of my properties ends up being about $10/acre since they are about 2/3 ag and 1/3 timber. I'm yet to have any farmers turn it down but it's definitely taken some leg work to find those that are open to leasing.

It varies by area and I am certain most are leasing to cover the tax bills. Probably the biggest reason that they go up at each renewal.  (Lord knows NY never lowers taxes). 

The timber company I lease through (Cotton Hanlon). seems like its in the $20's per acre. larger tracts are less per acre than the smaller ones. Their land is 12 month total use, not just related to Hunting activities. We got a cabin permit and put one up. Good deal in my book. 

• Like 1

Nothing close to Rochester, NY exists for leasing. $20/acre would be a dream. If it exists it's locked down for years for sure. I'd happily pay $40/ acre or even more for 25 decent acres to myself on any of the thousands of parcels that exist where the suburbs start to end and rural starts.

• 3 weeks later...

Like it or not, it's all about Money and Ego, and The Cabela Boy mentality of Wildlife Prostitution. Bring big bags of money. All you fellows with a wife, kids, mortgages, bank notes  to pay, you'll be deer hunting in your dreams. It'll be just like Texas and everywhere else you pay or you don't hunt private lands. Pay the Madame, pay the land broker, same ugly bloody thing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1