Trying to hunt on Long Island

First-light

9 hours ago, bruno1 said:

Sad part is, that spot is a public DEC parking spot 

If it was me I would go every week to this spot and tell my friends to do the same!  Good luck Bruno, make sure your phone is charged to record!  Keep us posted, if you want help pm me.  Just be nice like the guy in the video, he was composed as we all should be when dealing with ignorant people.  

21 hours ago, virgil said:

Not justifying anything in this video.  But, here on Long island, some of the 'hunting' is in very residential areas and I can understand why people might not like the idea of it happening right where they live.  As someone else mentioned, a struck deer is gonna run and could very likely wind up in someone else's yard, or pool, or driveway.  And, the deer are not exactly 'wild'- they live in these residential areas and are not weary of people.  Not the kind of 'hunting' that I'm interested in.

So this is what we deal with on the Island....My friend legally stuck a nice buck on public land. The deer runs and piles up in someone's yard. Turns out the guy is some treehugger type, very anti-hunting. My buddy goes and knocks on the fella's door and asks if he can recover the deer. Anti would not allow it, threatens my pal with cops because he is now tresspassing. He calls me and I give him the phone number of a local ECO friend of mine. ECO goes to talk to the guy...guy still refuses! ECO gave him some hunter justice. He instructed the home owner that without a deer tag, he cannot so much as touch the deer without fines. ECO drove past that property everyday until the deer rotted away to nothing. How much do you think Johnny treehugger liked that? lol 

Sad but true.

So this is what we deal with on the Island....My friend legally stuck a nice buck on public land. The deer runs and piles up in someone's yard. Turns out the guy is some treehugger type, very anti-hunting. My buddy goes and knocks on the fella's door and asks if he can recover the deer. Anti would not allow it, threatens my pal with cops because he is now tresspassing. He calls me and I give him the phone number of a local ECO friend of mine. ECO goes to talk to the guy...guy still refuses! ECO gave him some hunter justice. He instructed the home owner that without a deer tag, he cannot so much as touch the deer without fines. ECO drove past that property everyday until the deer rotted away to nothing. How much do you think Johnny treehugger liked that? lol 
Sad but true.

And then he slipped on the snow and was impaled by the rib cage or antlers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

Just now, squirrelwhisperer said:

Sad but true.

That's crazy.  Long Island is frustrating.  Lots of deer.  But, access to hunting land is a pain.

That would be my ultimate nightmare to have a deer drop and die in some suburban backyard where I'd have to knock on their door to ask for permission to retrieve it.  I don't care if I'd never get a chance to kill a deer again, but I won't be hunting in a place where this could potentially happen.

I saw this video a couple days ago. I'm sure the lad wouldn't be so bold without Daddy to back him up. If that was my kid he'd get a chance to see what a bar of Irish Spring tastes like.

I've been suburban hunting near my house for many years now (as well as rifle hunting in more rural spots). While I don't trespass or do anything illegal, I've found it's just easier all around to keep a low profile. Walk in to spots, don't flaunt your presence, don't shoot stray dogs or cats, learn to co-exist with the ATVers & horse people, only take high-success shots, etc. etc. Walk away when confronted by tree-huggers, and be on your very best behavior if law enforcement shows up.

There is a state park near me, Evansburg that reminds me of this video....400k McMansions built on the edge of where Suburbia eases into the country. LOTS of deer & all public land, but the confrontations I've been in over the years don't justify the aggravation.

Edited by Uncle Nicky
  • Like 1

They should be forced to watch the slaughter of a cow for their McDonald's burgers... and chickens for their nuggets...
And that dad needs his man card taken...
And lastly....that kid needs a good kick in the ass for disrepecting adults

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DanielT said:

Who knows which bathroom he will identify with?
Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Lol, that kids a time bomb waiting to explode. Hope he runs into the wrong kid and gets his a$$ whooped.  As a father of 4, i find it dusturbing the way that kid was talking and even worse is the father did not say a peep. The human race never seems to amaze me, crazy!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Sad but true.

Getting off topic... but I think Johnny Treehugger could've touched the deer (assuming this was in NY)

From DEC website: 

Carcass Disposal

If there is no reason for submission and you would like to dispose of a carcass for sanitary or esthetic reasons, three options exist:

-  Burial in a location that will protect both surface water and ground water from contamination.

Keep at least 200 feet away from wells used to supply drinking water.

Be sure the carcass is covered with at least 2 feet of soil.

-  Triple bag carcass and dispose of in a landfill.

-  In rural or suburban areas move carcass to an un-mowed, brushy or wooded area at edge of your property for natural decomposition (may be unsuitable if close to neighbors). Area should be inaccessible to children or domestic animals.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/6957.html

Edited by johnplav

6 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Sad but true.

Best part is he now has Lyme on his front door!