Why?

Forest Hunter

The DEC in any state has no authority to restrict the sale of any commercial product that is not illegal.  They only have the power to control how it is used.  It is not illegal to sell it in NY or any other state.

They would, however, have the authority or contacts to make it the law to post signs explaining the law on the shelves where the products are sold. At least that would make those that use it aware that it is in fact, illegal in this state.

This seems like a very reasonable thing to do... not that they have the money to do it right now. But the idea is solid. The state of NY already requires similar signage in other aspects of retail; e.g. have you noticed that in garden centers they are now legally obligated to post signs in relevance with using chemical herbicides, pesticides and fertilizers in your lawn.

Wouldnt take much money to do, have someone whip up a design on a computer and make it available on their website, then require retailers to print and post it on each shelf. They spend alot more money than that would take on toilet paper for the Governors offices each month.  ;D

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I can see a sigh deterring a person who plans to use the stuff illegally .  How about the retialer having to collect nam and address of the buyer from a valid drivers license.  Then the dec could follow up with who bought it and see what they plan to do or did with it.  Go buy 5 pounds of black powder at once and see how quick they come to see what you plan to do with it.

Yeah I can see a sigh deterring a person who plans to use the stuff illegally .  How about the retialer having to collect nam and address of the buyer from a valid drivers license.  Then the dec could follow up with who bought it and see what they plan to do or did with it.  Go buy 5 pounds of black powder at once and see how quick they come to see what you plan to do with it.

If you havent been paying attention, then you are missing the people questioning the use of these products right on this site. Now imagine how many people just buy it because they didnt bother to read the laws and just dont know its illegal. Ive talked to many of them at the store before, that have told me they believe it to be legal. The sign isnt going to stop those intent on using it, but it would inform those who dont know, and possibly dissuade them from using it.

that is why we get a regulations guide every year.

when i got my tags this year they told me there not printing any your going to have to go on line and read the  regulations there

New York Hunting Guide Digital Edition | eRegulations.com

papabear

Yes. They are making huge budget cuts everywhere. I have family in the DEC and it's pretty depressing to hear.

Fireworks are illegal in NY but we all at some point have had them or been a part of a private celebration that has had them. I think the law is the law and to sell that stuff over the counter here in NY is wrong. Sure you can get it on the internet but not being able to buy it in your local feed or sporting good store should light that little bulb in your head that it's illegal. Also it would be very easy for retailers on a web site to ask that you check your game laws before purchasing.

weird.  I got a regulation guide with my license as well as 30 for my class that starts tomorrow

where do you do your class I am in Suffolk and they don't have any book for my class they told me to us the Internet this is the first year that I could not get them I did 3 class all ready and have 3 more to go and still can not get them

papabear

weird.  I got a regulation guide with my license as well as 30 for my class that starts tomorrow

where do you do your class I am in Suffolk and they don't have any book for my class they told me to us the Internet this is the first year that I could not get them I did 3 class all ready and have 3 more to go and still can not get them

papabear

my class is in sty lawrence county.  here is my copy

post-349-131455483294_thumb.jpg

Back to the subject....

Heres the reply from Reg 8 DEC officer Lt Stoner...

"Hello  John, I understand your confusion and your frustration is shared by many law  abiding hunters and citzens alike. However there are literally hundreds of deer  farms and licensed shooting preserves in NYS where these products may legally  be used. So there is a legitimate and legal reason for stores to stock and sell  those products. You are correct though in the fact that often those products  are sold and used for illegal activity. While the legitimate sale and use of  these products can't be prohibited, concerned and ethical sportsman should  cooperate with law enforcement to apprehend and prosecute those who knowingly  violate the law. Thanks for your interest and concern,  Lt. Tom Stoner"

My reply to him....

"Lt Stoner,   

Thanks for the reply. I actually  didn’t think about deer farms. Maybe the DEC and the state of NY should look  into passing a law or code that makes the retailers post signs along side the  product that clearly states these products are illegal to use at any time of  the year for wild deer. That way people that do not already know the law, or  are being told the wrong information by other mis-informed people that are  employed by the stores would see it right when they are looking at which  product they are considering. The stores could be sent an electronic copy of  the sign and would be required to print and display them. Just a thought.  Again, thanks for the reply.

John""