Withcraft, Science or Snake Oil: HECS Suits

Rack Em Up

I'm sure we have all seen on TV or in magazines lavish products and technology being advertised that guarantee to increase one's success in the field. One item in particular, HECS Suit, has recently caught my attention. HECS Suit claim that their patented technology blocks one's naturally occurring electrical signature and allows people to get closer to the game they pursue. I know animals, especially whitetails, rely upon their 5 senses to reduce their risk of predation. However, HECS Suits are intended to protect hunters from animals sixth sense: the ability to detect electrical magnetic pulses emitted by humans. As someone that currently studies Biology in college, I have done a lot of work with animals and know they utilize this sixth sense in a variety of different ways. The HECS suits go for $179, give or take, but if they do what they are advertised than by all means I would be willing to try them out. With that being said, people have been hunting for centuries and without half the modern technology we have today. A bit skeptical myself, but was curious to see others input on the topic. 

I've been really close to deer while on the ground to the point where i can't move and i'm worried about getting run over or kicked in the head or somewhere else when they finally do bust me. deer aren't ocean dwelling creatures that sense living things with electro-reception. any lesser degree of woodsmanship is going to offset that suit saving your ass by lot.  there's theory based "it can't hurt to use it" and then there's practicality.

Funny thing is I am a sucker for gimmicks and not afraid to admit it. Of course %90 of the time that’s just it a gimmick. But I own a HECS suit and wear it. Not because it’s proven and works. Just because I spent $140 on the stupid thing and wear it out of spite. Also the suit doesn’t work when I’m on my electronic device texting and scrolling the forum while hunting lol. 

Edited by sodfather
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

6 minutes ago, sodfather said:

Funny thing is I am a sucker for gimmicks and not afraid to admit it. Of course %90 of the time that’s just it a gimmick. But I own a HECS suit and wear it. Not because it’s proven and works. Just because I spent $40 on the stupid thing and wear it out of spite. 

sodfather with HECS suit on left/ without it on right

Image result for predator invisible

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Half the time , ( if I shower prior to a hunt ) I grab Irish Spring out of habit instead of the scent free stuff, I just toss my hunting clothes in the regular household wash often as well , no scent loc, or sprays .

So one can guess my opinion.

Edited by Nomad

Like PT Barnum is credited with saying..." A sucker is born every minute" ( I think it was him, anyway...).

I cant recall the number of times I have had deer in touching range when I was mainly a ground hunter esp. bow hunting.  I have had bears within feet of me probably four or five times.

Blend, watch the wind and be still. I am sure being totally relaxed does help too.

The problem with products like this is a) does the science even make sense on a theoretical level. Can deer detect an electrical aura around you? I'm gonna guess no.

b ) if they can, does this product actually shroud it? Gonna guess no.

No shortage of junk products reveling in pseudo science with not one shred of actually verifiable, statistically significant impact on anything.

I can't find a study on this product. Also, with all the deer that have looked at me and, as long as I don't move, lose interest and then pretend I was never there, I am going to say this isn't worth worrying about.

Edited by Core

20 minutes ago, Rattler said:

And never make eye contact.  That sends deer running.  For some reason they really notice eyes looking at their eyes.

I always "squint" when deer are close to not make eye contact. This year I've had 3 bucks and 6 does within inches of my ladder stand. They know there is something not right but haven't spooked. Control breathing too. 6 point made this rub and dug a scrape at the base of the ladder stand after standing within 10 feet of my stand for several minutes Saturday.

IMG_20191102_160208870.jpg

• Like 1