anybody got a crossbow yet

bubba

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

funny how someone will think something is gospel just because it shows up on a you tube video. you would be very hard pressed to get that kind of group shooting from a treestand at even 50 yards, unless i can witness the arrows flight to the target clearly im a none believer.

i have shot the tac-15 at 60 yds off a bench and grouped 3.5 inchs indoors. secondly the tac-15 doesnt even fall into the legal category for crossbows in NY state.

so Doc you can stop having your usual anxiety attacks about hunters roaming the woods by the hundreds with tac-15s, night vision, and all those other scary things.

well, i know there are great video of long shots with crossbows and regular bows, same with long shots with rifle.. heck what the new record for a kill with a sniper 1 mile plus..most people are not capable of these shots though their weapon is. I'm not worried about an army of x bow shooters in the woods .... woodsmanship is the key, getting close to game i'm sure some new xbow shooters will be successful but there will be many who lose interest quickly as they can be a great target shot buts will never make a bow-type(close range) hunter

You know Gman I have heard alot of debates on the X-bow and I actually think this is the first time I have heard what you said mentioned. It is a great point. Xbow might be easier but the hunting isnt going to be any different than taking a compound in the field. I bet this throws alot of x bow buyers for a loop when they realize its not a gun and its a total different way to hunt for whitetail.

So this guys says it shoots 454 yet PSE states it shoots 366 (and that's under crazy optimal conditions), that dude's crono is WAY off.

Actually there are quite a few guys that have high poundage Omens that shoot over 400fps. When PSE clocked their base numbers, they use a bow that matches up to IBO specs, not necessarily the highest poundage available.

You know Gman I have heard alot of debates on the X-bow and I actually think this is the first time I have heard what you said mentioned. It is a great point. Xbow might be easier but the hunting isnt going to be any different than taking a compound in the field. I bet this throws alot of x bow buyers for a loop when they realize its not a gun and its a total different way to hunt for whitetail.

Gman makes a great point, but its been said in almost every x-bow debate Ive ever read. The antis just slough it off.

You people keep droning away about what a piece of crap the crossbows are. It kind of makes you wonder what is wrong with the people of Ohio who are now seeing more crossbow users in their bowseason than vertical bows. Boy, are they ever messed up.

You people keep droning away about what a piece of crap the crossbows are. It kind of makes you wonder what is wrong with the people of Ohio who are now seeing more crossbow users in their bowseason than vertical bows. Boy, are they ever messed up.

I havent heard anyone say that they are "pieces of crap". See, that is the typical side step that the anti-crossbow guys take when valid points are brought up.

I havent heard anyone say that they are "pieces of crap". See, that is the typical side step that the anti-crossbow guys take when valid points are brought up.

Hey, a new handy phrase to clog up discussions! "Side step" ..... Good one! But the only side-stepping being done is by those that want to deflect the discussion into terminology. Would you care to take a crack at explaining why more people are chosing the crossbow in Ohio's bow season? If going a bit farther than simply dropping insults is a bit too much effort for you, that's fine. That's expected. But maybe you might try your hand at actually discussing something for a change.

Hey, a new handy phrase to clog up discussions! "Side step" ..... Good one! But the only side-stepping being done is by those that want to deflect the discussion into terminology. Would you care to take a crack at explaining why more people are chosing the crossbow in Ohio's bow season? If going a bit farther than simply dropping insults is a bit too much effort for you, that's fine. That's expected. But maybe you might try your hand at actually discussing something for a change.

They are not necessarily choosing crossbow during the bow season

Although crossbows seem to outnumber traditional and compound bows in Ohio... there are no separate permits for the archery or gun seasons... hence there is no hard data on which season the crossbow is used let alone how many actual bowhunters there are in Ohio.. a survey in Ohio showed that young hunters getting into archery have a higher rate of using crossbows because of it's simplicity. As they reach the age of 18 to 25, this group shifts to compounds or traditional equipment, and then when the hunters reach age 45 to 48, they tend to shift back to crossbows again because it is simpler to shoot. There was no mention of crossbow superiority in survey responses

So why more hunters are choosing crossbows in ohio might be because they are young hunters or elderly that wouldn't be hunting the archery season maybe without the simpler option of a crossbow.. not because the crossbow is more superior or there is an agenda to oust traditional and compound bows from bowhunting. No matter how much NYB types try to convince us thats the case.

More than half of the participants in Ohio's bow season are young or elderly???? I'm not sure I buy that. At any rate, the bowseason harvest numbers show a clear edge for crossbow harvests and have for quite a few years now. So whoever it is that's choosing to use them, they sure are doing a hell of a job with them.

But anyway, thanks for the decent, well thought out response. I appreciate that rather than the combative responses that we usually get on this subject.

Im not going to speak for others DOC or even try too. I truly have no real judgement on them wether they are a piece of crap or not. Until I actually pick one up and use it I cant make that judgement. However I see no current reason in my near future to even consider making that purchase. Some of my hunting friends are excited over these and from what I can tell its all from them misinterpreting the capabilities of a crossbow. They seem to try to convince me that they shoot farther and faster and are more accurate than a compound. Now theres another term that baffles me a bit as well. Why is it that all of a sudden since the crossbow debate starts and they hit the market in NY there is suddenly a more common name for a compound bow, verticle bow. That seems a little rediculous to me. Why do some feel the need to rename the compound a verticle bow? I dont get that its a friggin compound, has been a compound and if a few years ago you went to any hunting store in NY and said you were looking to buy a new verticle bow they wouldnt know what the hell you were talking about. Why the name change? How come we still call the crossbow a crossbow and not a horizontal bow? This is one of the stupidest things I have heard. Okay that was my shot at changing the subject lol.

Wow, I dont really get what your deal is Doc, but you dont seem to understand anything anymore. The rest of us were having a discussion, then all of a sudden you came out and side stepped any of the facts being discussed with your "piece of crap" comment. Then, you start your normal BS with me just because I called you on it. You really are something else. BTW, Im not going to stoop to your level by tossing around the insults.

Like I said, nobody called crossbows a "piece of crap", and my opinion on why so many archers are using crossbows in OH and other places, well, maybe because they enjoy using them? Why do you use the hunting implements you choose to? Personally, Im not going to rush out and buy a crossbow, but eventually, Ill have one. I like to mix it up and hunt with different weapons during the season. I run the full gamete during gun season, shotgun, rifle (if Im in the right area), handgun and ML. Ill do the same once crossbows are legal in bow season.

BTW, the term vertical bow refers to compounds, recurves and longbows. Crossbows are just another form of bow, so to easily distinguish between the different styles of bow,people started using the term vertical bow to refer to something other than a crossbow. Its easier than listing them all at once.

More than half of the participants in Ohio's bow season are young or elderly???? I'm not sure I buy that. At any rate, the bowseason harvest numbers show a clear edge for crossbow harvests and have for quite a few years now. So whoever it is that's choosing to use them, they sure are doing a hell of a job with them.

But anyway, thanks for the decent, well thought out response. I appreciate that rather than the combative responses that we usually get on this subject.

Not to be combative.. but there is no data that says that half th participants are crossbow hunters during the bowseason.. there are more crossbow users overall in the state. 43% of hunters own crossbows while only 36% own traditional or compound bows and 21% own a gun only. Because they can hunt with crossbows during anytime of the deer season... there is no good data saying that more crossbows are used during the bow season. Although I agree that doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't more kills with crossbow during the bow season.

Wow, I dont really get what your deal is Doc, but you dont seem to understand anything anymore. The rest of us were having a discussion, then all of a sudden you came out and side stepped any of the facts being discussed with your "piece of crap" comment. Then, you start your normal BS with me just because I called you on it. You really are something else. BTW, Im not going to stoop to your level by tossing around the insults.

Well first of all, you're a bit late with your promise not to throw insults around since that is exactly what my last post was in response to. You seem to have a real problem answering posts on crossbows and many other subject without your snide little insults accompanying them. I guess it's just a personality thing.

Next, as to your confusion about my comment, you might want to look back and actually try to review what the conversation was really all about before you make your comments. The reply wasn't "all of a sudden", or didn't come out-of-blue as you would like to indicate. Let me save you the trouble and lay out a couple quotes from this thread for you that you must have missed or ignored:

"And yet not of them can hold their own with the compounds on a 45 yd and under 3D competition."

"When shooting the same courses as the compounds, they don't come close to keeping up on the average."

So I made a comment showing that perhaps the remarks regarding the ineffectiveness of crossbows might be a bit exagerated and apparently are not shared by the bowseason hunters in Ohio. You might note that neither were relative to anything you were talking about, but for some reason you always seem to think that you are always the target of my replies. It really isn't always about you .... lol.

But anyway, if you want to keep up this crap everytime I post a reply, knock your socks off. Whatever gets you through the day. On the other hand if you would like to discuss things in a more civil fashion for a change that would be a pleasant change.

Its pretty clear who started throwing around the insults, as my comment that you were side stepping the current conversation was in no way an insult. I know where your allegiance lies when it comes to crossbows, you are, after all a card carrying NYB member. ;)

Oh, and if you are replying to something that someone said almost 3 weeks ago, before the conversation went a different direction, you might want to try using the quote feature. Thats what its there for.

BTW, I never said your reply was about me, but nice try at yet another lame insult. :boredom:

Oh and I asked you a question, but you seemingly ignored it when you cherry picked one part of my reply. Theres another one of my "handy phrases" that you enjoy so much.

Hey good one. you get to use another of your lame filler phrases again. Good for you. I know you wouldn't have a whole lot to say without them, so I am happy for you.....lol.

But really, when you get to the point where you are throwing out insults and don't even recognize them as such,I guess there's not a whole lot that I've got to say to you. You absolutely cannot reply to a comment about crossbows, and many other topics, without throwing some irrelevant, pointless, negative comment along with it. It's become your standard way of conducting yourself. It's just your sunny personality shining through ..... again. And I suppose there's not a lot that you can do about that.

Hey good one. you get to use another of your lame filler phrases again. Good for you. I know you wouldn't have a whole lot to say without them, so I am happy for you.....lol.

But really, when you get to the point where you are throwing out insults and don't even recognize them as such,I guess there's not a whole lot that I've got to say to you. You absolutely cannot reply to a comment about crossbows, and many other topics, without throwing some irrelevant, pointless, negative comment along with it. It's become your standard way of conducting yourself. It's just your sunny personality shining through ..... again. And I suppose there's not a lot that you can do about that.

Hey good job with the lame insult attempt! Bravo Doc! Brav-O! The only reason you think I "cannot reply to a comment" about certain things is that my opinions are opposed to yours, and youre never wrong or accepting of anything except for Doc's way of doing things. Funny that you and I seem to get along just fine as long as we agree on something, but as soon as I dont agree with you, or call you on a comment, you start with the insults, arrogance and usual song and dance. Thats fine by me, because I honestly dont give a rats behind. Honestly, I think you need to stop trying to pick apart other people's attitudes and do a little work on your own there pumpkin. :)