anybody got a crossbow yet

bubba

If you think a crossbow is going to work like magic in the woods, and all those deer will be easy to shoot, you are talking out of your ass or just fooling yourself.

I would opt for "fooling yourself". I don't know, but I'm thinking that pronouncing words using your ass might be a bit more than anyone can actually do. I'll bet saying anything with "T" in it would be real tough. Anybody who can actually do that would be a hit on that TV show, America's Got Talent :biggrin:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that it is limited to only big games and only during regular rifle and late muzzleloader seasons just wasn't worth it for me. Eventhough the odds are low, the fact that the law was only signed to 2014 means there's a slight chance that it'll be illegal again entirely.

I had thought about getting one for small game and varmint hunting where the pressure isn't as great and I can enjoy the experience of shooting a crossbow. For big game, there is so much competition, I can't afford to sacrifice the rifle. I figured (at least for my situation) why spend $500+ on something that I will probably never get to use in a real live hunting situation and might have to get rid of it in a couple of years?

I would opt for "fooling yourself". I don't know, but I'm thinking that pronouncing words using your ass might be a bit more than anyone can actually do. I'll bet saying anything with "T" in it would be real tough. Anybody who can actually do that would be a hit on that TV show, America's Got Talent :biggrin:

Youve never seen Ace Ventura Pet Detective?

The fact that it is limited to only big games and only during regular rifle and late muzzleloader seasons just wasn't worth it for me. Eventhough the odds are low, the fact that the law was only signed to 2014 means there's a slight chance that it'll be illegal again entirely.

I had thought about getting one for small game and varmint hunting where the pressure isn't as great and I can enjoy the experience of shooting a crossbow. For big game, there is so much competition, I can't afford to sacrifice the rifle. I figured (at least for my situation) why spend $500+ on something that I will probably never get to use in a real live hunting situation and might have to get rid of it in a couple of years?

The law covers this season and next. It will be re-evaluated next year (2012) and rewritten. If you look at the DEC 5 year plan, the chances are, its going to be put into archery season.

As far as competition goes, you really shouldnt look at hunting that way. You are missing half of what its really all about if you turn it into a competition.

The law covers this season and next. It will be re-evaluated next year (2012) and rewritten. If you look at the DEC 5 year plan, the chances are, its going to be put into archery season.

As far as competition goes, you really shouldnt look at hunting that way. You are missing half of what its really all about if you turn it into a competition.

Good point. I stand corrected. I guess since I'm still new at this, the anticipation on my first buck is still eating at me.

If you think a crossbow is going to work like magic in the woods, and all those deer will be easy to shoot, you are talking out of your ass or just fooling yourself.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/

PSE is advertising 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards :hunter: . I dont think it will take much of this for guys to start popin shots likes its a 30-06.

Its a Copper John Dead Nuts Pro with the dovetail bar and the .019 pins

I have the same sight with .019 pins. Do yourself a huge favor. Go get a package of spare fiber opics and keep them in your pack. I am constantly having to mess with them as they are brittle and just break. Oh and a bic lighter to melt the ends again. I love the sight hate the thin fiber. I bet you every 3 times I go out one is broken. I have replaced them with different fiber optics from different manufactures and it doesnt matter. It weird they break in no particular spot at no particular time. It could be in my bow case and open it up and ones broke.

Edited by wdswtr

I have the same sight with .019 pins. Do yourself a huge favor. Go get a package of spare fiber opics and keep them in your pack. I am constantly having to mess with them as they are brittle and just break. Oh and a bic lighter to melt the ends again. I love the sight hate the thin fiber. I bet you every 3 times I go out one is broken. I have replaced them with different fiber optics from different manufactures and it doesnt matter. It weird they break in no particular spot at no particular time. It could be in my bow case and open it up and ones broke.

I have an extra set, and have had the site for over a year now and had no issues with the fibers. During the off season this year, Im going to figure out a way to use some long replacement fibers and wrap them around the housing or run them down the length of the dovetail bar so the pins will be a touch brighter.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/

PSE is advertising 2-3 inch groups at 100 yards :hunter: . I dont think it will take much of this for guys to start popin shots likes its a 30-06.

I could shoot my vertical bow out to 100 yards if I really wanted to, but by the time the arrow gets there, the deer will be long gone. Remember, the sound of your bow (or crossbow) is going to get to the deer before the arrow does. The guys that buy into marketing gimmicks like that wont last long in the archery woods anyway.

Again, nobody is saying you cant shoot a crossbow 100 yards. Did you not hear how loud those things are? PSE nor any other company make a crossbow that shoots faster than the speed of sound. Deer regularly jump the string on compounds at ranges of 20 to 30 yards, and compounds are generally a ton more quiet than a crossbow is, and right on par speed wise. They are no more effective than a compound bow, they are simply easier to use. You can listen to all the hype you want, its still just hype.

That Canadian story was oozing with anti-hunter, anti-weapon slime and sensationalism. Makes no sense, how many deer are poached each year with guns and vertical bows? Sounds like those all should be registered too! :negative:

I have been around archery for a bunch of decades, and have even done a fair share of tournament shooting, but I have never been able to shoot 100 yards with the precision that that guy with the PSE crossbow did. In fact, I really don't know anyone who can even come close to shooting that far, that well. About the closest person I have ever known to shoot that well with a vertical bow would be Darrell Pace at 100 meters. I would lay a lot of credit for that kind of crossbow accuracy to the fact that he is able to bench rest his crossbow. Whether that is accomplished with shooting off a bench as he was doing, or off a bi-pod, or off a fallen log, or simply off your knee as in a kneeling or sitting stance, it is something that no vertical bow shooter will ever be able to do. And of course give some credit to the fact that he can use a rifle scope in conjunction with the rock-solid rest features.

As far as the noise factor, the growing number of crossbow hunts being shown on TV are beginning to show that that is not really a very huge factor.

If I had to point to one big drawback to a crossbow, it would be the awkwardness of walking around with a big heavy "T"-shaped weapon. That has to be a pain.

I have been around archery for a bunch of decades, and have even done a fair share of tournament shooting, but I have never been able to shoot 100 yards with the precision that that guy with the PSE crossbow did. In fact, I really don't know anyone who can even come close to shooting that far, that well. About the closest person I have ever known to shoot that well with a vertical bow would be Darrell Pace at 100 meters. I would lay a lot of credit for that kind of crossbow accuracy to the fact that he is able to bench rest his crossbow. Whether that is accomplished with shooting off a bench as he was doing, or off a bi-pod, or off a fallen log, or simply off your knee as in a kneeling or sitting stance, it is something that no vertical bow shooter will ever be able to do. And of course give some credit to the fact that he can use a rifle scope in conjunction with the rock-solid rest features.

As far as the noise factor, the growing number of crossbow hunts being shown on TV are beginning to show that that is not really a very huge factor.

I think you are missing the point.

or simply off your knee as in a kneeling or sitting stance, it is something that no vertical bow shooter will ever be able to do.

The IBO crossbow class shoots kneeling braced. When shooting the same courses as the compounds, they don't come close to keeping up on the average.

The IBO crossbow class shoots kneeling braced. When shooting the same courses as the compounds, they don't come close to keeping up on the average.

And yet it is no real trick to find many of videos like the one that was posted here. Amazing isn't it?

And yet not of them can hold their own with the compounds on a 45 yd and under 3D competition. Why is that? Amazing?

And you can visit Archerytalk for multiple threads on taking shots at game at distances of 60 yds plus with their compounds. Many admit to be willing to shot at 80 yds or more regularly. And there was a thread recently on when the a 150 yd kill will be posted. Several talked of their "ability", willingness and confidence to shoot 100 yds plus at game as they can hold vital area groups at that distance. Amazing isn't it.

Edited by SteveB

No doubt about it, there certainly are a lot of self deluded people around ..... lol. I prefer the video evidence to somebody's undocumented boasting.

Now, I have seen a video of a guy who was doing some pretty amazing 100 yard shots with a compound. I also have seen filmed trick shots by Howard hill with his longbow. I also attended a live show with Stacey Groscup shooting aspirins out of the air with his recurve and nailing all kinds of other flying targets out of the air. And we have all seen Byron Fergusen on TV doing things with bows that 99.99% of all archers can't do. So I know there are a few very talented archers. However, I suspect the shooting on the PSE crossbow video most likely had more to do with the equipment than any kind of Byron Fergusen type of talent. ;)

Just a point I'd like to bring up after shooting a few at 50 today. Looking at a small box target through my small peep site at 50 yards is like looking at a fly on the way 20 feet away. When you have a scope with the cross bow it HAS to be a clear advantage, especially when precision comes into play. Yes sure, a compound can shoot 50,60,70 yards but who can shoot a compound through a peep at 70 yards right on the mark when you cant even see the white marks on the target at that distance. Just saying my thoughts :)

I don't really see the attraction to xbows so I wont buy one. However, I think the arguement that we will have more wounded deer due to hunters not knowing the limit of the weapon is poor. What stops those same guys from buying a compound and not know their limitations? It would not bother me to see xbows as part of the archery season I will just not take a part in it.

For the fellas shooting those 7 round Winchesters. I knew I read somewhere that there is a 6 shot maximum for big game. I copied this from reg page. This gesture is not to point fault but rather giving you a heads up.

Manner of Taking

It is unlawful to:

• Take big game while the deer or bear is in water.
  • Possess a firearm of any description when bowhunting or when accompanying a person bowhunting during special archery seasons.
  • Make, set or use a salt lick on land inhabited by deer or bear.

It is unlawful to hunt big game with:

• A firearm or bow aided by any artificial light or a laser that projects a beam toward the target.
  • An autoloading firearm with a capacity of more than 6 shells (one which requires that the trigger be pulled separately for each shot), except an autoloading pistol with a barrel length of less than 8 inches.

Edited by screamon demon

• 2 weeks later...

Just purchased the Barnett Ghost 400 Custom. Plan on using it during muzzleloading season and during late archery in Suffolk County. The state is slowly introducing them for one reason only......MONEY! Plus I heard a rumor that once a certain amount of states get on board with crossbow hunting all the crossbow companies are gonna give voluntary kickbacks also known to the common folk as a bribe or unlawful gratuity to the D.E.C. As well as several other government wildlife agencies.