Chef

New to muzzleloader

Recommended Posts

Im new to muzzeloader hunting, but I hear they're amazing 

Speaking of which can they be used in LI during the January shotgun season ?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I just bought some barnes TEZ from cabelas. Free shipping on any order
Are these the ones?

What weight did you go with?

I may give the 250 a try.33cba2e31edb9307709ce7ee097488c4.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mlammerhirt said:

Are these the ones?

What weight did you go with?

I may give the 250 a try.33cba2e31edb9307709ce7ee097488c4.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
 

I went with the 250's. Its full copper so i figured it doesnt need to be as high in weight 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some sabots are a beast to get started down the bore in certain ML models, so a good starter ram rod is a must. The wooden ones suck & will break, get a T-handle bullet starter! Also get some reloader tubes. They hold powder, sabot and a place for a primer in a water resistant tube. FYI - With  the ML loaded, you'll only need to carry 2-3 reloader tubes, enough for an all day hunt. You may want to carry a couple xtra primers in a Ziplock bag. Placing primers in the breech plug can be difficult with cold hands & I've dropped more than a few into the snow over the years. BTW - There are concave shaped jags for loading the sabots with the short & long ram rods so the ends don't deform the tip of the sabot possibly effecting accuracy. Some of these loading jags are specific to certain sabots. IRC, most ML ram rods still have a flat ended jags from the round ball era. This is the nice thing about in-line MLs, things carried can be kept to a minimum. I still recall carrying a bag of all kinds of doodads when hunting with my TC Renegade.

Sure you know this, but here goes anyways. Ml'ers are basically a single shot rifle. So make that one shot count, probably will rarely get a 2nd shot at the same dumb-a$$ deer!! And then there's the smoke cloud and wondering if the deer lies there or how good a hit it was or if you hit it at all or where the deer went or WTH...

Edited by nyslowhand

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got two shots at a young buck a few years ago. He was a dumb ass,came back to the spot i missed him at a minute after i reloaded.

I was thankful though last day of the season. He threw himself on the sword.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a Barnes bullet but not the ones they make specifically for muzzleloaders it’s a .451 bullet designed for the 450 bushmaster and I use them in a harvestor sabot. Of the 20 or 30 bullet sabot combos I’ve tried these are the best! They load easy when especially when using blackhorn and they put huge holes in deer. 8905930c2853cde17b9cd0587fdacaf7.jpgthese are the speed loaders I use. I carry 3 loads in 1 pocket and another in the other pocket with primers in them.

If you need a bullet starter you need to pick a different sabot because there’s no need for one with modern guns and bullets.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I use a Barnes bullet but not the ones they make specifically for muzzleloaders it’s a .451 bullet designed for the 450 bushmaster and I use them in a harvestor sabot. Of the 20 or 30 bullet sabot combos I’ve tried these are the best! They load easy when especially when using blackhorn and they put huge holes in deer. 8905930c2853cde17b9cd0587fdacaf7.jpgthese are the speed loaders I use. I carry 3 loads in 1 pocket and another in the other pocket with primers in them.

If you need a bullet starter you need to pick a different sabot because there’s no need for one with modern guns and bullets.

I like those.  I have been using a separate tube for powder and sabor/bullet.  Does the powder leak past the bullet/sabot or is the fit tight enough to keep it in place?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

The powerbelts shoot and group nice, but my dad or I never had a freaking blood trial.
 

Same experience here! No blood with Powerbelts. 

 


"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice." - Wease

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I like those.  I have been using a separate tube for powder and sabor/bullet.  Does the powder leak past the bullet/sabot or is the fit tight enough to keep it in place?

They come caliber specific, never had an issue with the powder going by the bullet. If you’re using blackhorn make sure you get the magnum sized ones. The regular sized ones won’t hold a max charge and a bullet.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Same experience here! No blood with Powerbelts. 
 

Not only did I never get much blood but they are absolutely hell to load! 20 years ago they were one of the best options now I wouldn’t use them on a bet!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not only did I never get much blood but they are absolutely hell to load! 20 years ago they were one of the best options now I wouldn’t use them on a bet!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I should probably buy something else and Just chalk the 20 bucks up to a loss


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess I should probably buy something else and Just chalk the 20 bucks up to a loss


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a loss, use them to get it on paper, save the good stuff for dialing in and killing critters.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I went with the 250's. Its full copper so i figured it doesnt need to be as high in weight 

I use the same ones, but the Barnes Spitfire T-EZ's in 290gr came recommended to me. I just got my CVA Optima in the spring, so I haven't had the opportunity to see how the bloodtrails will be with the Barnes Spitfire T-EZ's yet. 

This place has some of the best prices that I've been able to find on things that I've been looking for. https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/

Edited by Cabin Fever
  • Like 1

"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice." - Wease

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

I use the same ones, but the Barnes Spitfire T-EZ's in 290gr came recommended to me. I just got my CVA Optima in the spring, so I haven't had the opportunity to see how the bloodtrails will be with the Barnes Spitfire T-EZ's yet. 

This place has some of the best prices that I've been able to find on things that I've been looking for. https://www.muzzle-loaders.com/

I use the 250g TEZ.   Very accurate and never lost a deer with them.  Honestly the blood trails have not been overwhelming but the deer don’t go far so no issues so far.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

I use the 250g TEZ.   Very accurate and never lost a deer with them.  Honestly the blood trails have not been overwhelming but the deer don’t go far so no issues so far.   

Seems to be the story of muzzeloaders in general. They lack blood trails very often 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Seems to be the story of muzzeloaders in general. They lack blood trails very often 

Could be because I use max grains of bh209.  Might expand better if slower?   Not sure but it’s accurate as is.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I use a Barnes bullet but not the ones they make specifically for muzzleloaders it’s a .451 bullet designed for the 450 bushmaster and I use them in a harvestor sabot. Of the 20 or 30 bullet sabot combos I’ve tried these are the best! They load easy when especially when using blackhorn and they put huge holes in deer. 8905930c2853cde17b9cd0587fdacaf7.jpgthese are the speed loaders I use. I carry 3 loads in 1 pocket and another in the other pocket with primers in them.

If you need a bullet starter you need to pick a different sabot because there’s no need for one with modern guns and bullets.

I use these as well.  3 fully loaded and a speed loader for my primer stayd in my inside pocket so they stay nice and dry.

Screenshot_20191130-153005.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Could be because I use max grains of bh209.  Might expand better if slower?   Not sure but it’s accurate as is.  

I hear it from everyone that shoots a muzzeloader no matter what powder they use

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Could be because I use max grains of bh209.  Might expand better if slower?   Not sure but it’s accurate as is.  

Everything expands better the faster it’s moving. Although it’s a big chunk of metal it’s still going slow, for me I’m usually only shooting at does with a muzzleloader and I will only take broadside shots to not waste any meat. When you don’t hit bone to help with the wound channel nothing usually bleeds much.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have used the saboted Hornady XTPs in my old TC Black Diamond inline, they  are very accurate, expand well and are deadly, I use the same bullets handloaded in my 44 mag with the same results.

Al

2019-11-30_153123.png

Edited by airedale

Serious Dogs For Serious Work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.