Pics of hunting cabins/camps

damore81

My camp location changes each year but it is within a 20 mile radius . Here are some pics from last year.

Now that is a hunting camp! The only thing lacking is the huge wall tent with the stovepipe sticking out of the roof and a couple horses tied up to the trees and a few whiskered guys sitting around the campfire telling stories......lol. Oh, and a game pole with a few nice bucks hanging. :yes:

Nice looking country!

Now that is a hunting camp! The only thing lacking is the huge wall tent with the stovepipe sticking out of the roof and a couple horses tied up to the trees and a few whiskered guys sitting around the campfire telling stories......lol. Oh, and a game pole with a few nice bucks hanging. :yes:

Nice looking country!

It's all state land that anyone could hunt. There is so much of it that most of it is left untouched so if one is willing to hike a bit it is possible to hunt deer that haven't ever seen a man.

I love seeing everyone's sacred deer camps. This is a great thread ! I would be happy to have any one of these camps. I know I'm thankful to have what I do to hunt. What really makes all these places we stay and hunt great are the people we share it with. Family, friends and deer camp make such great memories. I sure love all the memories I have of all the past seasons

Being 69 I sure miss the hunting camp of the past. My hunting buddies have passed away and the camp was sold off by the family to LI city folk for a summer home,

I have 26 acreas in back of my house to hunt, so I got for about a total of 6 hours per day. I like the first 2 hours prior to light and then the last 4 hours to sit in several ground blinds I have made up.

But sure do miss the getting ready for the season at the hunt club, the pre scouting, getting the camp ready, cutting the woods for the wood stove, the actual hunt were lots of the stumps in the woods had names for past kills or hunters,

These were the older guys from WWII that hunted with the red / black wool outfits or solid green wool. Several of them also smoked the old black cigars, that as a kid would make my eye tear.

I can think back so many years and still see that first time I was able to get a buck at camp, a 303 cal. that was left off from the war, that I had cut down the stock and redid it, The buck walked out about 60 yards from were I was sitting and it was in the last light of the day in the catskills, I put the gun agains a big maple and squezed off a shot and down he went. My Dad was the first to come over, and then several of the other older guys who then described out to clean the deer. They had a special prayer for the deer that was handed down year after year on someone taking there first deer.

That was in 1960, or 51 years ago and if I close my eye it seems like yesterday.

I wish all to have a great hunt this year and if you can take a kid hunting and get a new hunter started so our sport does not die out.

• Like 1

Being 69 I sure miss the hunting camp of the past. My hunting buddies have passed away and the camp was sold off by the family to LI city folk for a summer home,

I have 26 acreas in back of my house to hunt, so I got for about a total of 6 hours per day. I like the first 2 hours prior to light and then the last 4 hours to sit in several ground blinds I have made up.

But sure do miss the getting ready for the season at the hunt club, the pre scouting, getting the camp ready, cutting the woods for the wood stove, the actual hunt were lots of the stumps in the woods had names for past kills or hunters,

These were the older guys from WWII that hunted with the red / black wool outfits or solid green wool. Several of them also smoked the old black cigars, that as a kid would make my eye tear.

I can think back so many years and still see that first time I was able to get a buck at camp, a 303 cal. that was left off from the war, that I had cut down the stock and redid it, The buck walked out about 60 yards from were I was sitting and it was in the last light of the day in the catskills, I put the gun agains a big maple and squezed off a shot and down he went. My Dad was the first to come over, and then several of the other older guys who then described out to clean the deer. They had a special prayer for the deer that was handed down year after year on someone taking there first deer.

That was in 1960, or 51 years ago and if I close my eye it seems like yesterday.

I wish all to have a great hunt this year and if you can take a kid hunting and get a new hunter started so our sport does not die out.

When it comes down to it that is really what it is all about, the joy you get from the experience then the joy you get from the memories.

Sounds a lot like things were back in the 70's when I was a kid at hunting camp. My grandfather wouldn't sell the camp to family for fear of causing any hard feelings. Lots of great memories for sure.

This will be my son's first year hunting. He is 12 and will be in the field for junior archery and small game. Looking forward to making new memories with the kids.

Sounds a lot like things were back in the 70's when I was a kid at hunting camp. My grandfather wouldn't sell the camp to family for fear of causing any hard feelings. Lots of great memories for sure.

This will be my son's first year hunting. He is 12 and will be in the field for junior archery and small game. Looking forward to making new memories with the kids.

My feelings to since most of the olderfolks are gone hunting is not what it was when i was younger many good old times spent with them I still use my dads hunting gear this keeps me wanting to hunt

Nice story Bill. That was my father in law with the wool pants and cigar! Last year was his last in the woods. He is now in a nursing home when I go visit him he still tells the same stories from years ago, they make me laugh every time. They had a tent from korea and a wood stove that heated the place. Life is short, live all you can!

Nice area ! looks like great big woods hunting ,love to hunt around the swamps. Good luck, 4 more days.

Thanks good luck to you too. It is a big area I have two nice buck scouted in two different spots. I've had vehicle trouble and haven't got up there for bear yet so I am planning on a bear hunt on Monday and then bow later in the week.