Help with slugs

Buckmaster7600

A few months ago I gave all my old shotgun sabots to a buddy probably 60 boxes of different varieties. Leaving for Mass tomorrow and i can only come up with 3 different sabots choices locally Hornady sst’s hornady American whitetail and browning copper. I always used Remington copper solids with my scopes gun and buck hammers in my peep sighted slug gun. Can’t find copper solids and apparently buckhammers are discontinued.

From what I’m reading online the SST’s don’t expand well and don’t give great blood trails. This might not be a bad thing because I’ll be tracking and may be shooting at the south end of a northbound buck. The whitails are a hollow point so they should expand great but maybe not penetrate as deep. Can’t find any info on the brownings but I like copper bullets. The SST’s shot slightly better than the whitetails but not enough to matter. Just got the brownings today and am heading home to see how they shoot.

I’ve been out of the slug game for a long time so if anyone’s uses any of these and can give me any help with them I appreciate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been using the Remington Accu Tip and they put down a deer well and shoot great out of my 12 ga 870.  I also use the 20ga in my Savage 220, same results.  This year I sighted in with the Hornaday SST and they were more on target than the Remingtons.  But I don’t have any info on the impact or expansion or blood trail.  (Still deerless this season)

I have not shot copper at all, never seem to find them anywhere when I am looking at ammo.  

I’ve gone completely away from lead slugs. The research on lead contamination in the wound channel is conclusive. Don’t consume the meat around the wound channel. Lead literally vaporizes and sprays all over and around the meat. It’s just not worth it. Lead poisoning is a real thing, even at very low levels. Go with copper. 

The 12 ga, 2-3/4" SST's have always grouped good from my Marlin 512 (except for last season when my old Bushnell Banner 4X scope crapped out on me).  Most of the deer that I have taken with them have been struck on the shoulder blade and have dropped dead in their tracks.   With the messed up scope, (2) SST's struck far left last season. The first shot (from a hundred yard range) passed thru just below the spine and above the guts.  The 3.5 year old, 182 lb field-dressed buck kept walking.  He stopped after a few steps and the second slug struck about 2" higher, breaking his spine and knocking him down on his back.   I finished him off with a third off-brand slug fired to the neck from point-blank range.  

I was expecting to loose most of the backstraps from that deer, but was surprised to find that the meat damage was very minimal, and only a bloodied up chop or two had to be trimmed away.   By contrast, I lost about 1/3 of the backstraps from a 3.5 year old doe this year.  She was struck in the same place on the spine with a single 16-gauge Remington slugger, foster-type slug.   

I hope to try those 12 gauge SST's again this weekend.  I treated the bolt and firing pin on my Marlin with a good dose of CLP and I hope that will prevent freeze up on Saturday.  It froze up on me last year, after I dropped it in the swamp while dragging out the heavy buck. That cost me a "chip-shot" at a doe that ran thru right under my stand, pursued by a couple of love-starved young bucks.  This Sunday is supposed to be warmer, so I should not have any freeze-up issues then, even if the CLP don't do the trick.  I still have a buck tag and (3) DMP's and I have really been wanting to try out the new Redfield Revolution 2-7X scope that I put on that gun this spring.