DMP ???

SweetMike

So today im in a local sporting goods store and as im browsing around a few guys were getting their hunting licenses. When it came time for them to select what WMU they wanted, they seemed to go for the ones with high chances of selection. I really wouldnt have noticed if the clerk behind the counter wasn't coaching them as to which ones to go for. this to me just doesnt make sense. im assuming that these guys didnt care where they got tags for as long as they got them.. Im pretty sure the DEC does studies on this stuff to determine what area gets what amount of tags it needs to keep a healthy herd. kinda defeats the purpose of the study if people are just tagging doe with any DMP regardless of area...

well honetly I aplied for my area 6c and then 8j. The only one I got was 8j. I may make it to 8j, maybe not depending on work schedule. I signed it and mailed it to my friend who lives and hunts 8j. He will use it if I do not make it. I gess I got a permit someoen there could get, but it will be used elgally

im sure it happens alot and i want to know how the DEC pin point this kind of stuff. i give alot of credit to the DEC but i am sure there is alot of stuff the DEC over looks or has calculations that are wrong as well. they dont have an easy job with all these type of things but really wonder how they come up with some things...

Theres no real way to stop it from happening, even if they put check points on every single road in the state. You could shoot a doe on your property, process it yourself and report it on a tag for another area without ever driving anywhere. No system is perfect. Im sure they have some type of formulation to try and take this type of thing into account when they figure out the DMP allocations each year.

here at home and down at camp we hang our deer out in the open with in sight of any one driving by...not for show(we're 320ft off the road)....best place to chill them down but also nothing to hide...guys around here that hunt on their wives tags ....other DMP's ...hhhmmm no tag anywhere...all seem to have the wifes buck and fawns ..ect ect hanging in other ppls garages...friends...parents...relatives.....

No you can't stop cheats and sneaks and I bet we all know 1 or 2...3.... There's one guy around here that actually videos the buck with his wife holding it...just in case....he actually has a spare bow set up for her...just in case and shes NEVER gone out bow hunting in her life....yet every year she gets a deer...sad thing is DEC knows about him...it's the..... wheres the PROOF...just because several different ppl have said something over the years...well that's not proof...but then again he's fairly well connected..so there ya go....some times the best we can do is be the better ppl and fly straight....knowing that when we have something down to be proud of...well it's really something to be proud of....

I also think that without a mandatory checking system this will always happen. Years ago we would have to stop at two check points along rt 17, on our way home to Long Island. Today you breeze on by no checks. Hell, we had two bucks on top of the truck two years ago parked at a gas station. Trooper pulled in right along side of us and didn't pay any mind to us. Give people and inch, and they will take a foot!

I don't think the DEC can afford to man these check stations anyways. Most likely that is why finding any kind of check station today is pretty darn rare. I think if they made that part of the mandatoy reporting system, nobody would comply with that either because they would be so few and far between.