Coming to NY

bikrsrule

Just got onto this forum today, will be heading over to the Saratoga area to hunt deer this season with my son-in-law. Just wondering what to expect, long range, short, woods or fields? He works for a large dairy farm and he tells me we will be hunting on private land. Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks

Thank you all for the comments and advice, I have googled the area and there seems to be alot of open fields and I am told they are loaded with clover.

How is NY on the hunter orange issue? In NH it is not required, I wear it except up in a tree stand. In NH we can shoot 1/2 hour before and after legal sunrise and sunset. How is NY law?

Thank you all for the comments and advice, I have googled the area and there seems to be alot of open fields and I am told they are loaded with clover.

How is NY on the hunter orange issue? In NH it is not required, I wear it except up in a tree stand. In NH we can shoot 1/2 hour before and after legal sunrise and sunset. How is NY law?

Generally, there are blocks of woods, swamps or other unused plots spotted around among the fields. Didn't you find that to be the case when you googled the area?

Blaze orange is still optional, however most of the hunters that are not suicidal do use some B/O during gun season..... :mosking:

if you were hunting in NH you will find NY hunting quite an improvment. we shoot several hundred thousand deer here every year in comparison to NH's maybe 15k...NY has a good mix of everything, mountains, farms, grown over farms(my favorite) swamps, areas that hold P&Y trophies and areas where your happy to bag a six point..

our hunter population is waning and aging and we are headed for a big dropoff in our sports popularity in the next 10 years. we need more hunters

Schuylerville is nice for hunting if you can get some chunks of woods you won't have a hard time finding deer. You are looking at some hills nothing to big more of the rolling kind. It is more flat land no mountains untill you get over towards willard mounatin wich is over towards easton. Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

New Question!!!!

Just got back from doing some scouting over in saratoga where we will be hunting in about a month..we have been granted access to a couple of fields that are bordered by small, (small) strips of woods, being a NH hunter and mainly hunt woods I am new to this field business, got any hints on the best tactics? Get in early morning and sit all day? etc..Any ideas would be great..

do yourself a favor and stay out of ny

I think you are rude.This guy is asking about hunting here in NY and think he will enjoy his time with his son-in-law.Why would you tell him to do himself a favor and stay out of NY.I do not think he wanted to feel not welcomed here hope he has a great season.Any one that is asking and wants info we should help them if possible!! :angry: