Attack.....

growalot

I'm not sure yet whether to be scared or seriously ticked...but I let our Shepard out this a.m. and started fixing Mr. B's lunch....next thing I know I hear Angels distress WOO...WOO...turned on the porch light as I opened the door to find either a big yote or a domestic dog retreating down the steps from an attack!...What the hell...now we can't find our cat...it ran to the farmers field turned and ran past the kennel with me yelling...but never stopped long enough for a good look....long skinny...tan backside and big tail...this got the boys awake and wildly barking...fun morning...wish us luck finding our cat alive

Edited by growalot

Thanks NYH....it just brought up the "You have to go get your pistol permit "/ "I want you carrying the rifle when your out"..... lecture

:(

It explains why when I was walking our daughters dog at 4:30 this morning the goats really startled at us walking by...they normally don't have a problem when I'm pup sitting and walk the dog by in the mornings...it's the only time I carry a flash light

Just came back in from shaking her treat jar and calling....she came running from the trees in the hedge row....Phewww...Called Mr. B and made his day...mine too...she looked a bit too happy to see me....Yote season opens tomorrow ...looks like I'm going to pull out the 243....if it's running my property it all looks like yote!...this is truly getting to be a bore :umbrage:

Growalot.... I'm very happy to hear that your kittycat is OK...Those critters are pretty resilient and resourceful as far as survival skills are concerned..

As far as armament in nighttime encounters with coyotes and other varmints, I would HIGHLY recommend using your turkey gun with heavy shot, such as #4 buck rather than a rifle. MUCH easier to hit a moving target at night with a load of shot..

Did I ever tell you that I once shot a red fox at 3:00 AM in my pajamas that was trying to get into my chicken coop?

Actually, neither the fox nor I were wearing pajamas... I sleep buck naked and shot the critter out my back door. Neither the fox nor I were wearing anything but a smile. Sorry to trouble you with such a visual, but rest assured, the fox was not smiling after the fact.

Growalot.... I'm very happy to hear that your kittycat is OK...Those critters are pretty resilient and resourceful as far as survival skills are concerned..

As far as armament in nighttime encounters with coyotes and other varmints, I would HIGHLY recommend using your turkey gun with heavy shot, such as #4 buck rather than a rifle. MUCH easier to hit a moving target at night with a load of shot..

Did I ever tell you that I once shot a red fox at 3:00 AM in my pajamas that was trying to get into my chicken coop?

Actually, neither the fox nor I were wearing pajamas... I sleep buck naked and shot the critter out my back door. Neither the fox nor I were wearing anything but a smile. Sorry to trouble you with such a visual, but rest assured, the fox was not smiling after the fact.

I've met you in person Dan, that fox probably thought when he saw you "I could feast for a month on THOSE chicken legs" <grin>

If he ran into me nekkid he'd say..................."food for life" <no grin>

Hehehehehe...If the poor critter had got a full view of me, I'd probably be guilty of animal cruelty.

Actually, I had been losing chickens on a fairly regular basis and had set the wife's 1100 LT 20 in the corner of the kitchen by the back door with a magazine full of magnum 6's for quick and easy access..

I was awaked by the sound of a chicken squawking and bounced out of bed in my altogether and padded out into the kitchen and looked toward the chicken coop, which was about 30 yards from my back door and was illuminated by a security light. I saw the fox bouncing around the coop.

I picked up the shotgun and cycled a round into the chamber and cracked the back door as quietly as I could. The fox heard the noise and stopped right outside the door of the chicken coop and looked toward the house.

MERCIFULLY, all he might have seen was the muzzle of the 20 gauge extended out the small opening in the door. At that time, the lights went out for him, and I went back to bed.

Living in the country and sleeping in the buff all my life, I had a few other adventures, like being charged in my bathroom by a huge rat that was fleeing from my 2 dogs, and capturing a very lively weasel brought into the bedroom by my cat in the middle of the night, but I'll leave those tales for another time.