1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I've looked at these in pic several times and this I know is ok but have stubbled across the AR and it interests me but dunno if I want to dance around all the nys stuff for a plinker

slug-square.png

This is a revolving cylinder shotgun, right? Or is it a rimfire or center fire?

Unless I’m mistaken (and I sure could be with this confusing law), King Cuomo made revolving cylinder shotguns illegal regardless of type of action.

Edited by Steuben Jerry

Just now, Steuben Jerry said:

This is a revolving cylinder shotgun, right? Unless I’m mistaken (and I sure could be with this confusing law), King Cuomo made revolving cylinder shotguns illegal regardless of type of action.

Seriously?  I saw these for sale at herb philipsons not too long ago...  I give up.....guess I will buy a better fish finder unless those are illegal in NY now too.  

9 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

.410 or .45. just like a judge pistol. 

I’m not up on revolvers, but i wrote “regardless of action”, and that was poorly worded. I was just googling around and I think NYS considers it technically a semi because of the one per trigger pull thing. 

Edited by Steuben Jerry

4 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

I’m not up on revolvers, but i wrote “regardless of action, and that was poorly worded. I was just googling around and I think NYS considers it technically a semi because of the one per trigger pull thing. 

It sure wouldn't surprise me though Jerry in this state.  A while back I said I don't see me buying another gun cause I kinda have all I need for hunting from turkey shotguns to small game and to deer and even moose.  These little .410s just caught my eye.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish

shotguns are a little different doesn't get deep into the features like rimfire or centerfire rifles do. if it's a semi auto, can accept a detachable mag and hold more than 5 rounds then it's by their definition bad. if semiauto but can't except detachable mag then it can't have a 2nd grip on the forearm, pistol grip stock, folding or telescoping stock, thumbhole stock, or capacity over 7 rounds (tube extension). detachable mag screws you before features come into play.

17 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

This is a revolving cylinder shotgun, right? Or is it a rimfire or center fire?

Unless I’m mistaken (and I sure could be with this confusing law), King Cuomo made revolving cylinder shotguns illegal regardless of type of action.

i wonder if it falls under that though. must be a definition because the intent was the "street sweeper" Call of Duty like shotgun. i have heard anyone having one of those though.

40 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

shotguns are a little different doesn't get deep into the features like rimfire or centerfire rifles do. if it's a semi auto, can accept a detachable mag and hold more than 5 rounds then it's by their definition bad. if semiauto but can't except detachable mag then it can't have a 2nd grip on the forearm, pistol grip stock, folding or telescoping stock, thumbhole stock, or capacity over 7 rounds (tube extension). detachable mag screws you before features come into play.

im going to use a sharp stick.  

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

that revolver shotgun can't hold more than 5 rounds and doesn't have any features, so even if they consider it a semiauto with the double action you're good. not an "assault weapon"

I wonder how many 2-3/4" shells a semi shotgun that is chambered in 3-1/2" can hold? I use to have a 5 shot pump that was 3" and could get 6 in it. 

42 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

that revolver shotgun can't hold more than 5 rounds and doesn't have any features, so even if they consider it a semiauto with the double action you're good. not an "assault weapon"

Careful, I looked at the definitions section of the law and it lists "revolving cylinder shotgun" as an assault weapon and does not have any features as a disqualifier. It does say if it's operated as a pump or bolt, it's OK.

(d) any of the weapons, or functioning frames or receivers of such weapons, or copies or duplicates of such weapons, in any caliber, known as: (i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models); (ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil; (iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70); (iv) Colt AR-15; (v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC; (vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12; (vii) Steyr AUG; (viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and (ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12; (e) provided, however, that such term does not include: (i) any rifle, shotgun or pistol that (A) is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever or slide action; (B) has been rendered permanently inoperable; or (C) is an antique firearm as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(16);

2 minutes ago, johnplav said:

At the end of the day we are all much safer knowing that @Robhuntandfish can't legally own a Circuit Judge, or a Ruger Charger, or any evil black gun unless it is modified to look slightly different but perform exactly the same.  (sarcasm) 

your only saying that cause i havent gotten my sharp stick yet! lol 

21 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Never been an AR guy but this has caught my eye.  Give me all the reasons i cant have one in NY before i think about it!  I have zero knowledge on AR's.  But i have looked a few times at these .410 Omni's.  You can get a 5 shot mag for them so if i did that is it compliant?  And yes i know lots of you wont like the .410 but i like the .410 round, lots of neat stuff for it.  And this gun is in my price range.  image.jpeg.93a6049403b6f82fd84af148aeea8e85.jpegNow this was made off the .410 omni just tweaked a bit.  Is it even worth thinking about for NY ?? https://www.americantactical.us/5512/detail.html

Supposedly its not a pistol, its not a shotgun it falls in between?  Again i know ZERO about them. .....  just thought it would be a fun plinker. 

I just purchased an A T Omni AR. And in order to have the features I wanted, like pistol grip, adjustable stock, muzzle brake. I had to have the fixed 10 rd mag. to be NY compliant. That is for a 223/556 rifle, so being that what you are looking at is a shotgun, I'm not sure what the difference would be? But Culver always seems to have a good handle on these kinda things, so his advice is solid. Along with a couple others too.

I too have always sorta wanted an AR. I wanted one for a predator rig, and for just plain range plinking and fun. I did a lot of homework and looking around, before buying the Omni. The price was well within my budget for a fun gun. And most all the reviews from people who actually bought and used them, liked them! Along with a member here who had one, and gave a good review to me. 

It always seems to me that King Andy's unSafe Act, has more questions, hoops to jump through, and just plain silliness, for law abiding folks to interpret. Than the run of the mill criminal, who will just do what they want, regardless of what Kink Andy passes in the dead of night, behind closed doors.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

your only saying that cause i havent gotten my sharp stick yet! lol 

not to burst your bubble but it's illegal to hunt game with a spear too... at least here in NY. hope you have quick feet and fast hands. careful going after anything with teeth or claws. lol

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Careful, I looked at the definitions section of the law and it lists "revolving cylinder shotgun" as an assault weapon and does not have any features as a disqualifier. It does say if it's operated as a pump or bolt, it's OK.

(d) any of the weapons, or functioning frames or receivers of such weapons, or copies or duplicates of such weapons, in any caliber, known as: (i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models); (ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil; (iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70); (iv) Colt AR-15; (v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC; (vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12; (vii) Steyr AUG; (viii) INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and (ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12; (e) provided, however, that such term does not include: (i) any rifle, shotgun or pistol that (A) is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever or slide action; (B) has been rendered permanently inoperable; or (C) is an antique firearm as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(16);

yea doesn't really say it is by definition, sooo guilty until proven innocent here in Cuomostan!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I wonder how many 2-3/4" shells a semi shotgun that is chambered in 3-1/2" can hold? I use to have a 5 shot pump that was 3" and could get 6 in it. 

i don't recall for certain how many shells i can get in my 3.5" shotgun but 6 shells seems like a lot. i think it's just 4. i can fit (3) 3.5" shells in it. when you buy the tube extenders the capacity they label it for is typically for 2 3/4" shells though. so a 7 shell tube is good for (7) 2-3/4" shells.

On 2/14/2020 at 3:38 PM, dbHunterNY said:

not to burst your bubble but it's illegal to hunt game with a spear too... at least here in NY. hope you have quick feet and fast hands. careful going after anything with teeth or claws. lol

I know this to be true but a shame. Always wanted to attempt a doe with a spear. Not throwing it at her and not like Rambo jumping down from the tree, but getting close enough to thrust it. I mean think about that. Just getting within 1 yard of a deer on the ground. 

6 hours ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

I know this to be true but a shame. Always wanted to attempt a doe with a spear. Not throwing it at her and not like Rambo jumping down from the tree, but getting close enough to thrust it. I mean think about that. Just getting within 1 yard of a deer on the ground. 

i know what you mean.