Where would you hunt this land?

nybuckboy

This is land I've been hunting for 10 years. I have numerous tree stands on the land. The West end is lower and the East end is higher ground so the land slopes from East to West with a ravine on the East end with a small stream that runs Westward through the triangular woods which consists of hardwoods and pines that slope downward through really thick stuff and apples. There is corn as well as beans on adjacent land which I can not hunt and I can not access the land from the North but can from the other 3 sides.

The corn is marked with a "C"; the beans with a "B"; the apples with an "A" and the tree stands are numbered. There are new oats planted very near to stands # 1, 2, 5 ,11, 14 and some forage clover and rape in the woods on a log trail near #6.

For the early season starting Oct 15th and up until early Nov, I was thinking I would hunt the mornings at either stands # 1, 2, 5, 12 ,14 and afternoons at stands 8, 9, 11.

Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

post-402-0-87238800-1317865452_thumb.jpg

my thought are that they will feed on the corn and beans and then come back easterly in the morning and then bed for the day and then late aft move westerly toward the corn and beans. Hopes are they will stop along the way at the oats for a snack.

8 looks alittle tough for an afternoon sit due to spooking alot on your way in. I like 6 for an afternoon if it is somewhat of a staging area for deer and sundown before heading out. I also this 1 and 3 look good for am as long as you dont spook deer in feilds on way in and the remote one in that patch of southern woods looks good for cruising bucks during seek. My Opinon,

i would be at 3 ,4,6 ,7 in the afternoon. 8 or 9 all day sitt. mornings 1,2,5,10, 11 . the hedge row stands will be good when bucks are crusing. I dont think they'll hit the corn till it s colder out. apples will be first. a stand at the top of the ravine would be good as well if it prevents deer from crossin it where they want at will. a topo would show a little more to me..

I'm a big fan of any apple tree at any time..Deer cant seem to resist that smell. Out of curisoirty, how many acres are we looking at? Do you plant in the fields?

about 240 acres and I have permission to hunt the land east of stands 8 & 9 as well but generally hunt the 240

1,2, 10, 11, 5, 12

I would say you could move 2 down to the field edge on the inside corner.And anything near a high concentration of deer crack / apples is a safe bet. I wouldn't target corn or beans since they are everywhere apples however are a different story. Terrain may play a little more into it (i mapped it on google maps since you left the gps on there). The creek could play into it if it has a steep bank or crossing point where you might be able to find / make a funnel.

Whats the land tot the east? dirtbike paths? Nothing that really blows my skirt up.

NYBuckBoy,

Awesome looking land to hunt, lots of great areas to choose from. I agree with hunting the apple tree areas(just like candy)10,11,5,7 3,4,. That patch of woods to the west near the house 12,13,14 look good if you get in very early in the morning and wait for sunrise. The field edges should be good early also and later in the evening before the sun sets. That thick stuff to the north east 8, 9 definitely looks like a good bedding area with lots of cover and security. You'd have to be very careful walking into that area, I'm sure you'll get lots of snorts.Best of luck this season.

StripedBuck

If I had to pick 1 stand it would be #5 in the evening. It is between what I would figure a bedding and feeding area in a small draw. The problem is wiith hunting it in the morning is I feel like you would spook anything in the fields trying to get in the stand. Where do you come in from? Man I wish I had that piece of property to hunt.

All the big open fields say between 1 and 14 what are they just hay or just over grown grass? That would make a huge difference where I hunt as to whats in those fields. I really like area 1 as that is a nice funnel to a food source.

CRP overgrown fields that are bush hogges every 3rd year

8 looks alittle tough for an afternoon sit due to spooking alot on your way in. I like 6 for an afternoon if it is somewhat of a staging area for deer and sundown before heading out. I also this 1 and 3 look good for am as long as you dont spook deer in feilds on way in and the remote one in that patch of southern woods looks good for cruising bucks during seek. My Opinon,

I access 8 & 9 by 4 wheeler and come in from the east. Pretty easy access.

1,2, 10, 11, 5, 12

I would say you could move 2 down to the field edge on the inside corner.And anything near a high concentration of deer crack / apples is a safe bet. I wouldn't target corn or beans since they are everywhere apples however are a different story. Terrain may play a little more into it (i mapped it on google maps since you left the gps on there). The creek could play into it if it has a steep bank or crossing point where you might be able to find / make a funnel.

Whats the land tot the east? dirtbike paths? Nothing that really blows my skirt up.

Yeah those are my 4 wheeler trails that I bushhog for horseback riding and it makes it easier to get around on foot as well as access by 4 wheeler. The deer use them as well.

All the stands except 8&9 are on the SW side of the creek.

Edited by nybuckboy

How do you enter and exit? tough ground with a west or south west wind....and the central group of stands looks damaging in terms of pressure. Do you understand thermals? Have any topos? What has summer time observation shown you vs last winters observations?

With the wind generally out of the west I think I would hunt stands 3,4,6 and 7 in the morning and 6,4,3 and 7 in the afternoon you should get thermals coming down the hill in the afternoon. Also is there apples on the trees if there is I would hunt 6 all day till the apples are gone.

Well Sat I hunted #7 morning til 10, saw nothing. Hunted #4 afternoon, saw 2 doe late.

My son hunted #14 morning saw 5pt and 4 doe. He coulda shot the buck. My son hunted #1 afternoon, saw 5 doe and 2 small buck.

I hunted #1 this morning (Sun) saw 3 buck, one decent 7pt and a shit 3pt and nice 5pt. Coulda shot the 3pt.

Someoneposted about thermal here so regarding thermals there is generally a decent breeeze so I don't think thermals generally play much a role on this property. I plan to hunt #9 Fri afternoon.

I think #14 will bring us a real nice buck at some point this year It is a lone pine tree about 12 ft up and we are hidden really well. As long as we hunt it with a south wind. There are always doe in this thicket so eventually the big bucks will be cruisin it. They do every year but this is the first year we had a stand in it and there is a food plot too.

With the wind generally out of the west I think I would hunt stands 3,4,6 and 7 in the morning and 6,4,3 and 7 in the afternoon you should get thermals coming down the hill in the afternoon. Also is there apples on the trees if there is I would hunt 6 all day till the apples are gone.

Shot a nice 110 class 8 in #6 on 2007. Hard place to hunt cause visibilty and the trees suck for stands since the heavy snow during the 2008 season trashed the orchard. I have had some luck grunting to buck that pass thru on the main trail and getting them to turn and come into me for shots.