2020 Lawn Thread!

BizCT

13 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

My pool is at 45 degrees, a little higher and the crappie should stage in the low end

Mine pool goes from 3.5ft to 8ft. By mid summer if i attach my garmin striker fishfinder to my swan float, i can usually find the thermocline. that's where i target my stocked brood lake trout

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Mine pool goes from 3.5ft to 8ft. By mid summer if i attach my garmin striker fishfinder to my swan float, i can usually find the thermocline. that's where i target my stocked brood lake trout

The sawbellies will stack up there for sure, theyll appear as a line on your graph

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Belo said:

damn. mine opened up green... but it always does as the previous owner decided bromine was the way to go. Not that we need to swim anytime soon... 50* water temps!

might be worth draining and redoing with chlorine. i used bromine when i had a hot tub, but that seems like a pain with a big pool

Just now, Biz-R-OWorld said:

might be worth draining and redoing with chlorine. i used bromine when i had a hot tub, but that seems like a pain with a big pool

it ends up working out ok. little maintenance with a brominator and no chlorine smell or sting. To change it out, i'd need to replace the liner and basically everything else. there's some fun chemistry with chlorine and bromine that i wold rather not type out. lol.

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

it ends up working out ok. little maintenance with a brominator and no chlorine smell or sting. To change it out, i'd need to replace the liner and basically everything else. there's some fun chemistry with chlorine and bromine that i wold rather not type out. lol.

I definitely know the difference, but didn't know about the new liner need. I run my pool with a chlorinator (2-3 pucks per week) and keep it at 1-2PPM so there is zero smell of chlorine on my skin or clothes. I noticed zero difference compared to the bromine hot tub when i had it.

43 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I definitely know the difference, but didn't know about the new liner need. I run my pool with a chlorinator (2-3 pucks per week) and keep it at 1-2PPM so there is zero smell of chlorine on my skin or clothes. I noticed zero difference compared to the bromine hot tub when i had it.

the long and short of it is that bromine builds up a bank when it dies off. so chlorine will regenerate it and because the water cant ever fully get ride of the bromine you'd need a complete water change and for a 26k gallon inground, that would also require a liner change (i'm told you can't empty an inground without damaging the liner? idk) and filter sand etc. You dont want any bromine left of your chlorine chemistry is f'd for life. So there's a saying, once a bromine pool, always a bromine pool.

• Like 1

damn. mine opened up green... but it always does as the previous owner decided bromine was the way to go. Not that we need to swim anytime soon... 50* water temps!

The solid cover isn’t nice to look at all winter but it does open up much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Why not run just a saltwater pool? Side not I know zero about pools as I have never had one personally so...

Call Me The Teflon Don

the long and short of it is that bromine builds up a bank when it dies off. so chlorine will regenerate it and because the water cant ever fully get ride of the bromine you'd need a complete water change and for a 26k gallon inground, that would also require a liner change (i'm told you can't empty an inground without damaging the liner? idk) and filter sand etc. You dont want any bromine left of your chlorine chemistry is f'd for life. So there's a saying, once a bromine pool, always a bromine pool.

I think you’d lose the suction and the liner would pull away from the sides?

I think you’d lose the suction and the liner would pull away from the sides?

3 hours ago, Belo said:

Ah that makes sense. 

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 12:45 PM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Pool open. An even 50 degrees

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adjustments.jpgIMG_8558.jpg

Biz

This is off topic;  really none of my business, and I hope you do not take offense but I cringe every time I see a picture of your pool. Knowing you have a little one now and she maybe walking in a few months. I would feel guilty if I didn't at least bring it up.

I personally have a relative and a personal friend that each lost a child in backyard pools. Neither one was negligent and neither one didn't have eyes on them for more than a few moments. Bode Miller and his wife also lost there little girl in 2018. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/07/30/bode-miller-and-wife-morgan-on-their-babys-drowning-it-happens-in-the-blink-of-an-eye/

Please don't think I am judging, criticizing, or suggesting, what you should or should not do. My only intent is awareness because so many people never even give it a thought until it is to late.

If me sticking my nose in can prevent one needles tragedy I will be happy. Maybe you have it addressed or have a plan but I just couldn't take that for granted and not say nothing.  It is  a nice pool by the way. :hi:

• Like 1

Biz
 This is off topic;  really none of my business, and I hope you do not take offense but I cringe every time I see a picture of your pool. Knowing you have a little one now and she maybe walking in a few months. I would feel guilty if I didn't at least bring it up.
 I personally have a relative and a personal friend that each lost a child in backyard pools. Neither one was negligent and neither one didn't have eyes on them for more than a few moments. Bode Miller and his wife also lost there little girl in 2018. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2018/07/30/bode-miller-and-wife-morgan-on-their-babys-drowning-it-happens-in-the-blink-of-an-eye/
Please don't think I am judging, criticizing, or suggesting, what you should or should not do. My only intent is awareness because so many people never even give it a thought until it is to late.
If me sticking my nose in can prevent one needles tragedy I will be happy. Maybe you have it addressed or have a plan but I just couldn't take that for granted and not say nothing.  It is  a nice pool by the way. :hi:

I hear ya. I grew up with a pool so I’m very aware. So our backyard is completely fenced in 6ft high. I keep my 1 gate to backyard locked so no neighborhood kids can wander in. Even When I mow lawn, I do the same so nothing can happen.

As far as my daughter, we do not have a walk out basement, so the only way out is through the kitchen onto a deck on 2nd level. It has 2 locks so a kid can’t get out. All of our doors and windows also have alarms/chimes. Once onto the deck, the deck gate is locked before you can go down the stairs. So she’d have to jump off the deck and likely be hurt/dead before she ever gets to the pool. Ultimately the best defense is learning to swim early. She will start this summer. But my wife is very aware that when she can walk someday, she cannot be left alone in the backyard.

• Like 3

My parents have an alarm for their in-ground pool.  Thankfully it's never been set off by a grandkid... only a boneheaded dog. 

Those are mandatory for new constructed pools. It’s a great idea. But to me, it’s too late. I prefer an alarm on the house door before they ever get near the pool

• Like 1

Obviously pool alarms don’t prevent anything from happing ,just a notification , and one can go fish their kid out of the pool . Never having one my question is , what do you do when you swim ?

Do you shut it off ? Will it turn back on automatically? The reason smoke detectors now come with sealed batteries and and a ten minute hush button , is because people would disable them , when they burnt  food and forget to turn them back on .

Obviously pool alarms don’t prevent anything from happing ,just a notification , and one can go fish their kid out of the pool . Never having one my question is , what do you do when you swim ?
Do you shut it off ? Will it turn back on automatically? The reason smoke detectors now come with sealed batteries and and a ten minute hush button , is because people would disable them , when they burnt  food and forget to turn them back on .

Good question, Not sure. I don’t have the pool alarm for your reason. I have them on all doors/windows