Southern Zone bow season starts Oct 1ST for 2012 and 7 more WMU's get antler restrictions

burmjohn

Why do we fight like hell to protect our gun rights and afraid to have them limit any type of gun we choose to use. But have no problem having them limit out rights to hunt what we want. And lets not get to splitting hairs over our rights versus privledges. You know what I am getting am, I know how the Philadelphia lawyers pick apart stuff like that. What good is fighting over the second amendment when you are a hunter and you have nothing to shoot. Just my humble opinion!!

So not shooting a yearling buck means you can't hunt anything? If there are no Doe tags, there is a reason why there are no Doe tags, it has nothing to do with AR's.

Yeah, there are reasons for no doe tags, but what good will AR's now do in these same areas?? Absolutely NOTHING! They don't need to give out the doe tags if they think there isn't enough deer, but if you also tell people that the buck needs to be at least 3 points to the side before they can shoot them, exactly what else does it leave for hunters to shoot?? Even if everyone would get to see a 3 point per side and get a shot at it(which is unlikely), how will it help the overall deer picture? Exactly NO different than if smaller bucks continued to be legal to shoot. Only in the figment of the imaginations of those who see big "antlers" as what's most important to them in hunting will AR's be a benefit.

Just a thought, maybe AR should only apply to State Land. I mean if someone owns land and pays taxes and wants to harvest what used to be thoughht of as a legal deer why shouldn't he be allowed? Even if it only exempts the actual owner. If someone owns land and wants to practice AR they can with or without the state making it law. It seems my choices are being limited to cater to a vocal minority of trophy hunters so why not? I also think alot of small 3 pointers are gonna start getting shot. I've seen small 3s that I would pass on but if that might be my last chance at a legal deer maybe not.

I don't understand why we are all after a huge antlered deer. They way you guys talk you must just cut the rack off and leave the meat. That is all you are after right? AR's should be someones own choice.

These deer that run around in the woods are not mine our yours. No one should be able to say what we shoot and don't. We don't live on TV.

+1

Yeah, there are reasons for no doe tags, but what good will AR's now do in these same areas?? Absolutely NOTHING! They don't need to give out the doe tags if they think there isn't enough deer, but if you also tell people that the buck needs to be at least 3 points to the side before they can shoot them, exactly what else does it leave for hunters to shoot?? Even if everyone would get to see a 3 point per side and get a shot at it(which is unlikely), how will it help the overall deer picture? Exactly NO different than if smaller bucks continued to be legal to shoot. Only in the figment of the imaginations of those who see big "antlers" as what's most important to them in hunting will AR's be a benefit.

So your saying you have no other bucks in your area other then yearlings? Sounds like a problem.

Steve863,

I couldn't agree with you more. I hunt 3A. Doe tags are virtually NEVER given out for the area. As I detailed about a month ago in previous posts, the area I hunt is huge tracts of mountainous state land that gets vitually no pressure. Woods are forever wild, virtually no farmland, no ATVs allowed. Deer density is low (hence no DMPs). The deer population is managed more by the severity of winters than hunter kill. As a result of all this, of the bucks we see, a fair amount meet the criteria of three points on one side. With all of these details about this area, it is beyond me why anyone would argue for AR in this area. The only thing I can assume is that a fair amount of these guys are "on a band-wagon" or maybe giving way too much credit to the success of "other hunters" in the area.

So your saying you have no other bucks in your area other then yearlings? Sounds like a problem.

No, that's not what I'm saying. Being allowed to shoot only 3 points to a side or better, does severely limit ones choices, though. No doe permits, No smaller bucks won't leave much else for the hunter, especially those who don't give a damn about antlers. Like someone else said the 3 points or better will without a doubt get gunned down no matter how small they might be, most especially if NOTHING else is legal to shoot. I simply can't see how AR's will ever improve things.

one other thing,

Since the new AR rule for 3A in effect this year, I've been thinking about how it will affect my rifle hunt next month. At first, while I am very unhappy with it, I found solace in the fact that 5 of the last 6 bucks I shot from there (since 2003) have had at least one side with 3 points. But then I took a look at the racks on the wall and started imagining those deer presenting shots in a hunting situation. Turns out that some of the deer had a small third point. For instance, a 1 inch brow tine, or a g3 that was just barely an inch. The point is that after my review, I can say that I wouldnt have been confident enough in the 3rd point to shoot 2 of the 5 deer that wound up having 3 on 1 side. So my harvest in 3A since 2003 would be 3 bucks instead of 6. Lets face it, in a hunting situation, when you have a buck with his nose down moving through the woods, its hard enough to get on him and make the right shot. Now to have to worry about the length of a particular tine in that situation is just ridiculous. I hunt my butt off to shoot what I shoot. And what I shoot doesnt impact anyone else, because there is virtually no one there besides my hunting party and a few other guys.

ARs are ok for other areas where the population warrants it. and where most guys hunt small peices, from treestands and very often see the same buck more than once. But for the high peaks of the catskills, it a joke.

how many guys do you think shoot 2 buck a year?? As For the Ar's they aren't in my area but we have passed yearlings for years..we still dont have big numbers of large racked bucks being taken.. if a buck can survive a season or two they get smart!! i get pics on camera but taking them is a different matter. You can't stockpile big bucks.... I dont see whats changed in the past 50 years that now the deer cant survive unless you put ar's on them.. we suposedly had a lot mor ehunter 30 years ago... the deer still survived and reproduced and the old timers got to enjoy their hunting. Leave it up to the individual, i for one am sick of being told what i can or can't do by some gov agency...

how many guys do you think shoot 2 buck a year?? As For the Ar's they aren't in my area but we have passed yearlings for years..we still dont have big numbers of large racked bucks being taken.. if a buck can survive a season or two they get smart!! i get pics on camera but taking them is a different matter. You can't stockpile big bucks.... I dont see whats changed in the past 50 years that now the deer cant survive unless you put ar's on them.. we suposedly had a lot mor ehunter 30 years ago... the deer still survived and reproduced and the old timers got to enjoy their hunting. Leave it up to the individual, i for one am sick of being told what i can or can't do by some gov agency...

What G said!

No, that's not what I'm saying. Being allowed to shoot only 3 points to a side or better, does severely limit ones choices, though. No doe permits, No smaller bucks won't leave much else for the hunter, especially those who don't give a damn about antlers. Like someone else said the 3 points or better will without a doubt get gunned down no matter how small they might be, most especially if NOTHING else is legal to shoot. I simply can't see how AR's will ever improve things.

What your saying is the majority of those that want AR's (based on every single report out there) should suffer because you and your buddies want to shoot everything out there? No wonder our herd is so messed up in NY.

Edited by TheHunter

Yes troll, you never post on any other topic but your favorite AR. Have lots of fun chasing those scrub 2.5 year old deer this year champ.

Thanks I will enjoy the 2.5's and older deer that are saved from guys like you. Help balance our herd out, and get some deer with a little more meat on the bones. Don't get your panties all up in a bunch because YOU can't shoot a yearling any more, its not the end of the world, and its for the betterment of the hunters in the state now and for the future.

Blah blah blah, I've heard all that before. You don't know how or what I hunt or anything about the age of the deer that my crew kills every year and if you did I KNOW you would be jealous. lol

Yup sure, thats why your complaining about not being able to shoot yearlings with "all" the great deer you and "your crew" are getting...

I wish that AR would be implemented in 7P and yes it is because of the other guy that will whack everything with little antlers. (and those "other guys" happen to be some of my family and friends) However i do understand that a LOT of people who live in New York which we call upstate live on their deer harvest all year as a source of meat. My own uncle harvests about 3 to 4 deer yearly with his tags (and aunts and cousins) to put in the freezer for the year.

With experience in Pennsylvania and their antler restrictions i think it would be great. The 3 point on a side rule may not be the idea management tool but it is (IMO) the easiest for the "if its brown its down" guys. Inside spread and other body demensions to age deer age better but take more patience. I have seen plenty of guys whack anythiong with antlers and then go and count points to see if it is legal.

After year two of antler restrictions you get the older age class bucks to harvest (for the meat guys) and the enjoyment of seeing many yonger class bucks around for future years.

• Like 1

Yup sure, thats why your complaining about not being able to shoot yearlings with "all" the great deer you and "your crew" are getting...

Nope, thats not what I'm pissed about, you will never get it though so I won't waste my time explaining it to you for the 100th time.

I am actually more pissed that they are doing away with the either sex tag in my one area. There are no doe permits there already so why bother hunting there when I don't care to hunt the sought after bucks that you guys love. We have other places that are much better for that.

And you will never see me or my family post pics on any internet boards to brag, its just not why we hunt. I know that is something that is lost on a guy like you.

• Like 1

Nope, thats not what I'm pissed about, you will never get it though so I won't waste my time explaining it to you for the 100th time.

I am actually more pissed that they are doing away with the either sex tag in my one area. There are no doe permits there already so why bother hunting there when I don't care to hunt the sought after bucks that you guys love. We have other places that are much better for that.

And you will never see me or my family post pics on any internet boards to brag, its just not why we hunt. I know that is something that is lost on a guy like you.

Ahh I understand, its because you don't want to show all those sweet 90 pound spikes your bagging.

Nope, thats not what I'm pissed about, you will never get it though so I won't waste my time explaining it to you for the 100th time. I am actually more pissed that they are doing away with the either sex tag in my one area. There are no doe permits there already so why bother hunting there when I don't care to hunt the sought after bucks that you guys love. We have other places that are much better for that. And you will never see me or my family post pics on any internet boards to brag, its just not why we hunt. I know that is something that is lost on a guy like you.

99% of the posts with bucks and deer are not bragging, its called sharing, and telling a good hunting story that everyone loves to see. I haven't seen one person brag on here yet actually.

Anyways, lets not turn this thread into a big AR pissing match, there are AR specific topics for that.