what kind of calling tactics do you do?

arrow nocker

Well this time of year i try to mimick the sounds i hear in the woods.Which is not much.So i just sit quietly most of the time.but i cant resist when i have a grunt tube and i am getting restless.So when i do use my grunt tube i usually just do a doe grunt.A blaaaat blat.And then just sit silently for 30 mins or even way longer.Some times in the middle of the day i will do some fawn bleats and try to get a doe to investigate.I had one come out the bedding one time and run circles around me grunting like a pig.It was tooo funny.

I will change up my calling in about two weeks when i see more chasing going on.I dont want to sound like a hunter trrying to mimic a deer to a smart deer right now.

What about you guys.What kind of calling tactics do you do right now?Middle of October.

And what calling tactics do you do after the chasing goes on?

I had a nice 8 pt come in this morning 40-50 yrds away. When he turned away from me, i hit him with a grunt, and then a rattle.. He looked back both times but wasnt interested. As a last ditch effort i through out a short weeze.. The deer did a 180 and came right back in. Not saying it'll always work, but in that situation, of a buck moving away, no call can hurt.

all I use is a primos can. it brought an 8 point 195 pound deer in on a string last year on 10/30. I dont use one before then as they are not that interested yet, and it only gives you away as far as I am concerned.

Edited by bubba

i have had very good luck rattling this time of season, generally a week after opening of sz.. rattling blind and getting deer within sight to my stand.

cant say ive had any luck with the bleat can. is there any technique to the can or do you just let it go through its entire cycle each time?

I used to use the bleat can but never brought any thing in with it.I just turned it upside down and only did it like three times about 1 miniute apart.then nothing for like 30 mins.I think i was using it right.I'm not sure.

I have been thinking of trying my gunt tube that has the dow bleat setting.(Primos buck roar)Try to do the bleat with that,so i can make it hang a little longer than the can.With a little more emotion into it.Tried to find some examples on you tube to practice to.Wife don't like it much when i sit in front of the computer blowing in that thing.Hahahaha.

i have had very good luck rattling this time of season, generally a week after opening of sz.. rattling blind and getting deer within sight to my stand.

Same here. I've already had one young buck come to the horns this season so far. I don't mess around with tickling tines at all. Everytime I pick up the rattlers it's a knock down drag out brawl. 2nd week of season I usually have the most luck rattling and one year rattled in 8 differet bucks in 3 days.

Usually i would agree with the fellas who like to keep it quiet this time of yr. but for some reason over here in the fingerlakes there is something in the air right now. We've seen bucks on does all week long and not just little guys. Grunted in a beauty 8point on Sat night from 300yrds away. Also neighbor called in and shot a nice 3.5yr old Sun morning. So i've been a bit more agressive so far this yr than i normally would in the third week of oct.

I am a big fan of using the grunt call. I have probably grunted in every buck (6 or 7) that I've shot in the past 5 years that I can remember. Many of these were from just blind calling and throwing a few grunts out there when nothing is going on. I want to try using the snort wheeze this year also. Interesting on some of the hunting shows how some bucks that show little interest when hearing a grunt will turn on a dime and come in to check out a snort wheeze that is thrown at him.

I watched a video last year before I went to camp. The guy who was supposedly a call expert. he said a long bleat in other words letting it cycle all the way through is a distress bleat more like a fawn would do if needing the doe. he said you are supposed to do three short bleats quickly to mimic ann estrus doe. Then do so again in about 5 minutes. I did the first set that way and before I could do the second, the buck walked right up within 30 yards of me with his nose in the air. I was just standing against a tree. I pulled the gun up he saw me flagged took two jumps stopped and put hi snise back in the air trying to locate his lady friend. Well his method made me a believer. That is why I say I willll ot use it yet as the does r eno where near ready.

I watched a video last year before I went to camp. The guy who was supposedly a call expert. he said a long bleat in other words letting it cycle all the way through is a distress bleat more like a fawn would do if needing the doe. he said you are supposed to do three short bleats quickly to mimic ann estrus doe. Then do so again in about 5 minutes. I did the first set that way and before I could do the second, the buck walked right up within 30 yards of me with his nose in the air. I was just standing against a tree. I pulled the gun up he saw me flagged took two jumps stopped and put hi snise back in the air trying to locate his lady friend. Well his method made me a believer. That is why I say I willll ot use it yet as the does r eno where near ready.

Sounds opposite to what those bleat cans do then. Those things really make a long bleat!

I haven't had much luck with rattling,grunts, the can, or snort-wheeze calls. I've actually had deer look over at me & keep walking. I DO go BAAAA with my own voice if I want a deer to stop so I can get a shot, this usually works.

I still drag all this out with me though, if I'm really bored & feeling desperate I'll dig this out of my backpack. Or even a turkey call, just to see if I can get a response.

Because our surrounding area is just packed with bow hunters I have to test the waters year to year...right now the grunt tube is an alarm to them as well as the bleat....rattling not to bad if I do it just right...but what has brought them to me so far...no shooters yet but we'll see...is my turkey calling...which is why when I buck decoy....I always use my bobbin head turkey with it...they come in much more relaxed...this year wind is killing me....can't even use decoys...they look like they're on a speed ball....lol

I usually sit quiet for the first week or so of bow season. I've kept some bucks in the area of my stand before with my grunt tube. Last year, I played with a four point for about 2 hours with my grunt tube. He bedded down right next to my stand and I was able to snap some pictures of him. When he got up to walk away, I grunted at him. He turned around and headed right back. At that point, another 4 point came into the area and was snort wheezing the entire way. It was one of the coolest experiences I've ever had on stand, and the grunt tube got it going. That was around the end of October, beginning of November last year.

I usually sit quiet for the first week or so of bow season. I've kept some bucks in the area of my stand before with my grunt tube. Last year, I played with a four point for about 2 hours with my grunt tube. He bedded down right next to my stand and I was able to snap some pictures of him. When he got up to walk away, I grunted at him. He turned around and headed right back. At that point, another 4 point came into the area and was snort wheezing the entire way. It was one of the coolest experiences I've ever had on stand, and the grunt tube got it going. That was around the end of October, beginning of November last year.

thats a really cool experience!!

Last year I had a potential wall hanger a few hundred yards away in a field i was hunting over and was able to rattle him right to me, then because he was getting so close and since i was in a custom made ground blind i didnt dare rattle and give my exact position away so i grunted a few times when he would either turn his head away or disappear momentarily out of sight and that put him on a string right to me, never did get a shot off as I was running out of daylight and could no longer hold my bow back before he was within range. :(

thats a really cool experience!!

Last year I had a potential wall hanger a few hundred yards away in a field i was hunting over and was able to rattle him right to me, then because he was getting so close and since i was in a custom made ground blind i didnt dare rattle and give my exact position away so i grunted a few times when he would either turn his head away or disappear momentarily out of sight and that put him on a string right to me, never did get a shot off as I was running out of daylight and could no longer hold my bow back before he was within range. :(

Argh! Bummer.

Sounds opposite to what those bleat cans do then. Those things really make a long bleat!

That's why I use the 'lil can...it's smaller and marketed for early season...but I find that it avoids that type of long bleat. From a personal observation, the lil can is not as loud, but it also seems to bring in more deer than the regular and larger can models.