How does your garden grow

crappyice

079e2df56336c805006ebf166ae1bbf4.jpg09f74ecbb51dcde48c50e58d5ee8c4a2.jpg

First pepper popping. Everyone says peppers love heat. We finally got a ton of rain yesterday so I skipped watering today and it drooping. I guess it can’t go 1 day without water? It’s only 80 today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Water Rat said:

The tomato plants are coming along nicely. I'm debating whether or not to remove the sucker shoots.

IMG_6539.thumb.JPG.aaccfee74c050a7ac6b4244a2c74f4b3.JPG

We always do on our farm so I say yes, take the time to do it.  

You will see them growing out between the main stem and the larger branches.  Keeping the plant trimmed up a little will keep if from getting too big too.  Those tomato cages will only hold so much.  The sucker shoots will make fruit, but it diminishes the overall size of the other tomatoes.  On a large scale, like on a farm,  it is good to remove so that you get larger tomatoes, although maybe fewer of them and a higher price.

Here’s a good primer.  https://www.thespruce.com/should-you-prune-out-tomato-suckers-1403290

You will see them growing out between the main stem and the larger branches.  Keeping the plant trimmed up a little will keep if from getting too big too.  Those tomato cages will only hold so much.  The sucker shoots will make fruit, but it diminishes the overall size of the other tomatoes.  On a large scale, like on a farm,  it is good to remove so that you get larger tomatoes, although maybe fewer of them and a higher price.
Here’s a good primer.  https://www.thespruce.com/should-you-prune-out-tomato-suckers-1403290

Thanks. I got some big branches on tomatoes with no flowers or fruit. Maybe they will come?

21 hours ago, crappyice said:

Do you have soaker hose under the plastic?
Looking great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No......I just water them at sundown unless there's rain in the forecast. Nothing beats a good rain by Mother Nature.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Otto said:

We always do on our farm so I say yes, take the time to do it.  

It seems that when I don't remove them , I end up with a lot of small green tomatoes at the end of the season that will never ripen in time. What's your thought on removing all the branches on the main stem below the first cluster of flowers ? Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Water Rat said:

It seems that when I don't remove them , I end up with a lot of small green tomatoes at the end of the season that will never ripen in time. What's your thought on removing all the branches on the main stem below the first cluster of flowers ? Thanks in advance.

I have never done it myself, but I know some people do.  It supposedly reduces potential for fungus and mildew.  I don’t think it hurts if you decide to do it. 

Wife is doing a great job, my 3 year old loves to count so he counted 75 green tomatoes today
50d24c9f222b51b02a8ade4df4f40bee.plist&key=23cd7659e6eb6aba67c7b7f9c8ddb2565279de834e965f84a2678bda1ffacbdf
70a06bdc37ae36a2d1a4eff9bdd421a3.plist&key=069e7b421fb188e6976979d59ba2f368ee05ee7be54d0e7469ee9c92cc2d43b2
0b7396f611207d8ec82bca3dc5f5343f.plist&key=c9ac0c4425ada82ca0f7a45c4e11d56d4b8be19c2f4365d4705e56c18c48e7ba

75 tomatoes? Wow. On how many plants? I got a few plants with 3-4 tomatoes now

Anyone ever use OLD(I mean really old..like I don’t remember buying it old ) Miracle Grow granulated mix.

I did just today...to try to kick start my weak-ass jalapeño and eggplant. Part of me is hoping for a kill-off so I can stop trying to Will these things to grow!