Help with a smart buck

Forest Hunter

I have had this ten pointer poking his head out here or there lately.

He has came on the 8th, 9th, 11th, 16th and the 19th.

I would love love love to have this deer be my first buck. I have only hunted one year prior to this one now. That buck did not get those antlers by being dumb and he only comes out at night. I have a few pictures of him in the light one morning around 7 A.M.

When i can on the weekends i get in my stand at 6 A.M. I have not seen hide nor tail of him each time i have went. I have a bottle of doe esterous and a bleat can. I want to try and put out a drag trail this weekend since the rut is coming soon and use my bleat can to bring him in this weekend.

Any tips on getting this guy. Not much has been working for me so far. I think luck is my best thing for now.

post-1246-0-54791900-1319503396_thumb.jp

post-1246-0-67465800-1319503490_thumb.jp

finding his bedding area is key. Hang a couple stands between his bedding and feeding areas. Keeping in mind what the prevailing wind is for your area. Then wait for the right wind.

Also he looks young and if this is private land where you are the only hunter then I would wait another year while learning his home core area and setting up the right stand for the best opportunity. In just 1 more year he will be HUGE. Maybe even 2

Edited by KenAxe-7

Just to add, don't take the same walk to your hunting area, use different routes and times. If the wind is not right then move , watch your scent. Another good point is to get up higher in the stand than you normally would with good cover, Let the other deer pass and do their thing if you are really only hooked on to getting him. These wise old guys know how to pattern you and they know where you are. Change things up a bit, once you have them wondering they seem to move more. And again, use the chase phase to take advantage of him letting his guard down. I've hunted a few wise old bucks and almost each one of them was always looking at and staying just outside of where I "used" to sit and got them from the blindside ! It gets frustrating as hell at times, and it's a mind game with them and the feeling is great when you beat them at their own game. I'm after one now since bow opener and finally this weekend I got to see him twice both times just after 5:15 pm without him detecting me. I shall prevail !!!

I know where his general bedding area is in some real thick woods maybe 500-1000 yards from this cam which is right by my treestand

I don't think I have that much competition for him so if I don't get him this year I can still look forward to seeing how big his rack gets. Thanks for the advice guys

If he is bedding that far away, that may be why he only shows up on your cam at night. I wouldn't hang the camera near the stand it will draw his attention to your setup. I would hunt different areas, not just that stand so he can't pattern you. Be very careful on how you access these areas so you are not expecting the deer to cross your entry path or are blowing scent in the direction you expect deer to come.

If it was me, that deer would get a pass. He looks pretty young, though Id like to see his body. He might be a very good 2 1/2 year old. If he gets another year or two on him, hes going to blow up into something special. Just my opinion though.

As far as advice on getting him, I would move your stand about 100 yards up the trail, closer to the bedding area, and dont hunt it unless the wind is perfect. Also, as has been said, do not let him pattern you. Take different paths to your stand and go in at different times.

Yea lol y shoot a spike instead of a 10 point aha F that if that monster come in front of me its all she wrote.And it's your firtst buck wack that puppy don't let that thing make it to the start of southern tear if you can.Nice deer and jus stay calm my first time looking threw the scope at a big buck i am not liying when i say i allmost shit myself,,,Let alone i missed the deer :fie: ,,but my shot is beautiful it was buck fever all day it had me rattled..but you live and you learn and it was still fun as heck i ended up getting a big doe lol..

LET HIM WALK video him instead..

these are the kinda a deer we all have to pass hell be alot better the next yr and then even ther yr after that

shoot a doe if your a meat hunter let the young bucks walk even though hes decent hes young.. hell blow up @ 3 1/2 im sure let him breed and youll have more like him yrs to come..

yeah...imagine what he will look like at 7-1/2 years old!!!....let him walk.....right up to your stand and then put him on the ground...lol. Good luck with him. You are 16 and have a lot of time to get picky if you choose to. Enjoy the chase and if you bag him after the chess match it will be one you remember for the rest of your life.

Depending on the land and how much access you have.....I would suggest cutting the distance to his bedding/feeding area. If you can't get to there then find the most active trail used by the does and wait him out...couple stands and play the wind. With things heating up he will be trailing the does within the next few weeks.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Ask for advice and you get QDM stuffed down your throat!

Damn nice deer, and if you want him than harvest him! It’s your legal right as a NYS licensed sportsman!

I’m north of you in 7J and the deer are JUST starting to chase heavily! There were deer running ramped throughout a corn field yesterday. Once they start chasing bucks get “preoccupied” and make mistakes. During this time try to get into your stand every chance you get.

If you have the opportunity, set up a second or third stand so that you have options for different conditions and wind directions. This will also allow you to mix it up and throw the deer off.

Good luck!

Edited by otis2
  • Like 1

If you get the chance harvest him, it's your first buck & you already have a great story to go with it. As said be carefull of the wind, because he will too. Bucks have quite a few bedding spots and very seldome go to the same spot 2 nights in a row. Be carefull and best of luck on tagging that first buck.

This thread is a perfect example of why hunters have the problems we do.

A 16 yr. old kid holding out on his first buck? He's already stated that the buck is his target. That statement right there should have halted any input to let it walk.

At 16, the goal should be bloodshed within legal limits. You are honing your skills on the process of hunting, shooting, and the whole act. It's the "practice makes perfect" situation. Once you get comfortable with it, then the next stage begins.

OP - is the area large tract woods? flat? hilly? ag land? This type of info can help figure out potential patterns and sets. I think he's a fine trophy for you.

• Like 2

This thread is a perfect example of why hunters have the problems we do.

A 16 yr. old kid holding out on his first buck? He's already stated that the buck is his target. That statement right there should have halted any input to let it walk.

At 16, the goal should be bloodshed within legal limits. You are honing your skills on the process of hunting, shooting, and the whole act. It's the "practice makes perfect" situation. Once you get comfortable with it, then the next stage begins.

OP - is the area large tract woods? flat? hilly? ag land? This type of info can help figure out potential patterns and sets. I think he's a fine trophy for you.

Five star post Phade!!!!

• Like 1