Hunting plans with upcoming full moon.

agross

I was just wondering what everyone's plans were for hunting the upcoming full hunters moon on Nov 5.

For me im still not sure if im 100 percent sold on the various theories regarding hunging after the full moon. For me i have always most of my success around november 8 through 11, but this year im not going to be able to make it out that weekend but instead have to opt for the weekend of November 3,4,,5,6.

Other than all day sits anybody have any other tips...ie because of full moon being up and deer being outall nite movement will be more midday.

Just curious how many on here are geared for that full moon philosophy.

Actually, the Full Moon in November is on the 10th, not the 5th.

However, being in the First Quarter on the 5th, we will see the moon hanging bright in the sky when we are on our late afternoon stands then (if it's not raining!)

I've never had much luck seeing deer in that First Quarter. But as the Full Moon starts to wane, the rut should be peaking. And anytime in the woods can be great...or quiet, feast or famine, as the deer tend to bunch up in breeding groups.

As the saying goes...there's no replacement for displacement.

The same goes for seat time at this point of the year. All day sits are in order when possible that weekend.

This weeked looks to be one of the better halloween weekends in a long time...I'm curious to see how much activity ramps up.

This weekend should be good, hopefully. Should be dark enough going in. I'll set up a drag--line, hang it up, re-fuel the mock scrapes, and hope for the best. I would like to see a few bucks come in with their noses to the ground. If there is something to the moon phase theory, then it'll be thrown out the window when they get into rut. Only get to hunt saturday as my I have a work day at the hunting camp on Sunday. Could get back in time for an afternoon hunt. Good luck to all.

I'm going to start dragging and putting out scent on my mock scrapes too starting tomorrow. I saw some chasing happening today in the morning, gets me all fired up!

A question to you guys starting to use drag lines...will you be using regular Doe p or will you start using the estrous scents like tinks estrous?

I have always gone for time off around the moon phase. I have hit it before the full moon,after the full moon and right during. It is different a little bit every year in my eyes. I have been hunting the same property for 5-6 years now and it changes. Last year I didn't see any real running of does untill the last weekend of bow season which I thought was late. specaily with the guys on here saying there was rut going on in there area. like they said though if I wasn't in the woods I wouldn't have known anything at all.

Some does come in earlier than other too.

Right you are. There were two rut peaks last year, one was in the last few days of October and the first few days of November. The second rut peak was around the 18th of November.

Now that's the peak, or when most does and bucks interact, highest frequency of sightings of running and chasing.

That second week of November was slow last year for most. But this year, it should be just the opposite. We'll see. If hunters will post what they see. If everyone does it, we will get a good snapshot of how the rut unfolds this year. No BS. Just say what you saw.

I'm heading over to Dick's today to pick up some TInks 69. With the weather looking like snow and rain tomorrow, who knows how they'll react. Drag may work for an hour or so, but could be washed out by mid-morning. It'll be interesting conditions if it starts to snow pretty good. They could be browsing and rutting all morning. With my luck, they'll just go and hide until Sunday. I hunt from a tent, so at least I'll be covered. Will let you know how it went down here.

I didn't use the tinks on Saturday before the storm, figured I'd wait till Sunday. Instead of a drag-line on Sunday in the snow, I just hung a cotton scent in a tree. The buck was below me and heading away. The wind was blowing in that direction. I bleated, he stopped, sniffed the air for awhile, then headed back the same way he came instead of coming up the hill toward me. If I had placed a drag-line down, he may have come up to me. Sure, Hind-sight is everything. I guess he was heading back to where he last saw some does. Who knows ? Same with my son, he listened to me putting the climber up in the valley, instead of 30 yards further up the hill, and sure enough, he saw two bucks, real nice size to em, 55 yards up the hill. If he would of done what he wanted, he would have been 25 yards away. Hey, ya just never know.