3 Kayaks rooftop transport

crappyice

Anyone have any experience loading three kayaks on the roof of a Toyota Sienna minivan?

This dumbass car only has roof racks down the side of the car but no crosspieces.

Any advice of racks or systems (pics would

Help!) is greatly appreciated.

As a bonus if you can figure out how to the add a canoe to that same rooftop, you win!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i would get crossbars for your roof rails that are wider than the roof, if you must carry the canoe, and kayaks together.  Some roofs have a max weight limit, and i’d obey it if you have a moonroof.  Anyways, 3 kayaks is not a big deal as far as securing if you do it right.  Pic attached from a Google search.  As mentioned before I have seen in Maine people buy the roof cross bars that are so wide that the bar sticks out past the side of the car by 6-10”, so they can fit a canoe upside down, and a few kayaks on J hook mounts, etc.

i use J hooks on a custom trailer like GenCounty’s post has, but below is another type i see a lot too

i don’t suggest a setup like on this subaru, because it looks like they are just rope tied(the outter kayaks...) he could have used the J hook mounts for the outter 2 yaks.  This is why i say you can get wider cross bars.

A2AF7107-DAC0-4E9E-A15F-C140453893DD.jpeg

FF132835-D61A-45A3-B4CF-57FCF52EC2CB.jpeg

Edited by Bionic

Family was up at Harriman State Park today (PACKED! Masks were 50-50) and driving home saw a car coming with 2 kayaks vertical and 1 laying down- I didn’t catch the make of the vehicle but it wasn’t oversized- wish I knew what what’s holding the vertical kayaks up-the J style racks seem to hold two at best- 1 per J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having watched a canoe fly off the pick up ahead of me, and driving past another guy picking his off the side of the road ,I can safely say, I’m not following the Subaru or that vertical carrier !  Side note friend had his mountain bikes up on top, till he pulled under the canopy at the hotel .....

Having driven thousands of miles with a canoe on top, my advise is drive a bit then stop and recheck you straps , tie downs , ropes and so on ,things move around and loosen up .

You could also use one inflatable kayak and place it inside . If the canoe seats and thwarts are removable, you can take them out and put a smaller kayak inside it . That’s mostly good for a long trip due to the work involved, we did it for a 1,200 drive .

I always used Yakima racks . I may still have the bars in the garage loft , you could have them but you’re a bit away .

8 hours ago, Nomad said:

Having watched a canoe fly off the pick up ahead of me, and driving past another guy picking his off the side of the road ,I can safely say, I’m not following the Subaru or that vertical carrier !  Side note friend had his mountain bikes up on top, till he pulled under the canopy at the hotel .....

Having driven thousands of miles with a canoe on top, my advise is drive a bit then stop and recheck you straps , tie downs , ropes and so on ,things move around and loosen up .

You could also use one inflatable kayak and place it inside . If the canoe seats and thwarts are removable, you can take them out and put a smaller kayak inside it . That’s mostly good for a long trip due to the work involved, we did it for a 1,200 drive .

I always used Yakima racks . I may still have the bars in the garage loft , you could have them but you’re a bit away .

Because too many tree huggers use ropes like a bunch of retards, even those pull type “motorcycle” straps suck.  Use ratchet straps, or stay home. 

• Like 2