Yet another treestand fatality in NY

nyslowhand

i think it was careless for the guy not to wear a harness up in a stand that high or for any hieght for that matter but i really think the way some of you people are calling him a moron and other names is really out of line. what if he has family that are members of this site and they are reading this how do you thin they would feel. another hunter had a fatal accident why cant be just be compationate some times and stead of crap talking even if it could have been prevented. thats the problem with so many of us hunters these days hunters are always trash talking about one another in some way or form about how some one hunts why does some one shoot a small deer why would you take that shot. people can have conversationa about all these different topics and so many more with out being hurtful or way out of line.

Shawn,

Go back and reread the posts. no one was calling him names. The moron comment was not directed at the OP , it was at the other poster Sully and it was tounge in cheek because he said folks were gonna call him moron. Just as you said the guys actions that fell were careless.....they have been called stupid and speculation was made to a "macho-man" attitude. What is wrong with that?

When did we actually turn into such a group of PC pansies that we can't call stupid, stupid?

We can have conversations about a variety of topics but no matter the topic there will always be differing views. I have read many threads on here especially poaching where so many are talking about policing our own. That should be applied to more than just poaching. If I see or hear someone doing something that I don't think will reflect well on the sport I will call them on it...just like I hope others will do with me. I don't think debate is a bad reflection on the sport and in any conversation involving passion (I hope we all have that for our sport) there will be tempers and outburts involved. That is life and not just isolated to hunting. Just my 2 cents

• Like 3

Shawn,

Go back and reread the posts. no one was calling him names. The moron comment was not directed at the OP , it was at the other poster Sully and it was tounge in cheek because he said folks were gonna call him moron. Just as you said the guys actions that fell were careless.....they have been called stupid and speculation was made to a "macho-man" attitude. What is wrong with that?

When did we actually turn into such a group of PC pansies that we can't call stupid, stupid?

We can have conversations about a variety of topics but no matter the topic there will always be differing views. I have read many threads on here especially poaching where so many are talking about policing our own. That should be applied to more than just poaching. If I see or hear someone doing something that I don't think will reflect well on the sport I will call them on it...just like I hope others will do with me. I don't think debate is a bad reflection on the sport and in any conversation involving passion (I hope we all have that for our sport) there will be tempers and outburts involved. That is life and not just isolated to hunting. Just my 2 cents

Well said Culver!

Growalot mentioned the way to camo a black safety harness by wearing your outer gacket , etc over the harness . It works . I don't believe it's necessary to hide a black harness but for someone who does , this would be a solution .

if a person's family / friends were to read this thread they had probably told the person that he was Stupid for not wearing a harness . Tip-toeing around the name calling doesn't make it any better . I agree that the P.C. stuff is crap . Tell it like it is ...............

I have talked to hunters and family members about wearing a harness . Many feel that it is an inconvenience and won't wear it because it might restrict their shooting . Instead of thinking of themselves they should think about what happens to the wife and kids when the careless hunter becomes a quadrapalegic (sp) and has to be spoon fed , etc ! Falling doesn't just affect the person who falls . It places a burden on many people .

For those of you who dont wear the harness because their a pain or uncomfortable or look stupid i would guess to venture that you have never tried wearing them under your outerwear. I use the HSS ultra lite that i bought for $119 and when i put it on i litterally forget that its even on my body. My buddy puts his Summit harness on directly over his base layers. I wish i had been doing it this way from the begining of harnesses because i used to absolutely hate them like you guys. I'm convinced if you try it this way you will never grumble about wearing the harness again. Sorry for the family who has to go on without their loved one. Must be hard to deal with knowing it could have been prevented..

Culver, many of the jackets out there, especially the lighter weight bowhunting jackets, have a flap and opening in the back for the strap to come out of. The jacket I have does just that and I put it on over my harness.

Yep, or I just wear it underneath and feed it up through the back of my neck. Piece of cake.

HHS AND new hunting clothes...the wife is gonna kill me. " But honey I have to get new hunting clothes so I can be safe". I am betting she will just up the life insurance...lol. I figured it had to be something like that. A strap coming oout by my collar would absolutely drive me nuts all day.

Or take a knife and cut a slit in your camo's, as long as its not insulated.

HHS AND new hunting clothes...the wife is gonna kill me. " But honey I have to get new hunting clothes so I can be safe". I am betting she will just up the life insurance...lol. I figured it had to be something like that. A strap coming oout by my collar would absolutely drive me nuts all day.

LMAO, use every excuse you can think of, and when you run out of them, give me a call, I have a bunch more for ya!

LMAO, use every excuse you can think of, and when you run out of them, give me a call, I have a bunch more for ya!

I wear my old style over my outer clothes but do you have any idea what a pain that is because it blockes my pockets and really impacts my ability to chain smoke in the stand :angry:

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

Dave....how do you get the attachment strap out through your clothes to anchor to the tree?

Up through the beck of my neck. I personally wear it just under my outerwear so i almost always have a mock neck baselayer or zip up midlayer between the strap and my skin so i litterally never know its there. Even without that, it really is a non issue. I also use the Summit camo rope with the prusaic knot rather than the buckle strap to the tree set-up. This allows me to adjust the prusaic up the rope so it is above my neck and not pulling down the back of your jacket as you sit there.

I wear my old style over my outer clothes but do you have any idea what a pain that is because it blockes my pockets and really impacts my ability to cain smoke in the stand :angry:

LOL, The pockets thing alway drove me nuts also and thats why i always was pisssssed wearing the harness. once i started wearing it under, i couldn't believe how much easier it made things. Then when it came time to buy a quality, true life saving harness,that was my reason for not choosing the vest type. Nothing against them, my brothers wear them and love them as well.

Wow...if I ever skipped a harnes it wouldn't be in a climber. Ladder stand with shooting rail ..ok but I have taken a ride down the bark highway before on a climber and it was not fun. Yes it was a lot older style but Nope...not skipping a harness on a climber.

And Steve,.....great comment about how our fathers did it..On the ground----.red and black wool clothing (if they were lucky) rickety old guns reaking of Hoppes...wander into the woods smelling of this mornings bacon and eggs at the diner. With a Cig hanging out of their mouths. LOL. Good 'ole days

Yes, this is how I still hunt, except I quit smoking.

Sully, you handled that well ! Imagine a guy online with thick skin and a sense of humor,next thing ya know NYS Bowhunters will endorse crossbows......

Well said 132! Coming from experience . . .

LOL

Sully, it's not a matter of catching hell. You are right, it's a matter of choice. If you choose to climb without a harness, then so be it. But you can't ignore statistics that most falls from treestands whether they are climbers or permanent stands, could be prevented by the use of a harness. I don't think you would disagree.

I wish you best of luck and that you are safe in your hunts.

Yup I would agree. Thanx and good luck to you... whack a monster

• 2 weeks later...

I don't wear a harness in the stand either. It gets in the way of a lot of shots in my opinion. I'm also a roofer and I'm a lot higher up on a roof then in my stand. If your comfortable with heights and are willing to take the RISKS then so be it. Everything comes with risks.

Yes life comes with risks. I face them in my job as well,I'm on roofs too. Steep city house roofs with fires under them..... for 22 plus years now.I'm comfortable climbing a 110 ladder as well.

But you won't find me in a tree stand with out a harness because thats a risk there is zero need to take . That and while my dept. of 500 has not had a guy fall off a roof or ladder in some time, 2 guys who hunt fell out of trees this year.One was hanging it prior to the season, the other climbing up .3 years back a good friend who is a contractor and comfortable up high as well fell and broke his femur. Being comfortable up high has very little to do with it,its the slip,missteep,broke strap,loss of balance that does it.

If nothing else I look at it like this,if I fall on the job, I'm covered and my family is covered,if I fall hunting I'm s.o.l.

Oh I also go for roofers who fall at least 2/3 times a year . This year one guy who fell off scaffolding died. OHSA requires rails or fall restraints don't they? So don't you wear one on the job ? I don't handle that end but as a roofer I thought you could answer that.

stay safe.

Edited by Larry302

I would not suggest guys go out and not use a harness, but I can understand why they don't though. Not going to beat a guy up for it either way. Yes there are regulations and what not on the site but same as the stand harness it's easier and faster without. Again not saying it's right, it's just how it goes.

Harness' don'y interfere in any way with any shot you will have on a deer. Your just not setting it up correctly. Learn and experinment with how to do it correctly. Thats just one of the many lame excuse guys use. when they just don't feel like using them..

Ya Rob thanks for the answer . I'm a freedom guy myself ,rode motorcycles for 20 years,would never ride without a helmet, yet I'm against helmet laws.

But i've lived life 52 years and know guys who fell and got hurt out of stands and a good friend on the job who broke his back saving a woman at a fire. Bone graft from his hip and 6 inch steel rods in his back .

Falling = very bad.