National Right To Carry Reciprocity Act - any thoughts?

It would be good if it got passed. From the way I read it though, I dont think NY permit holders will be able to carry in other states, as it says "all states to allow out-of-state visitors to carry concealed firearms as long as the laws of the visitors' home states allow them to do so" and NY's permit does not say you can carry to another state. Is this what you guys read it as or am I getting the wrong impression?

Since NY is not a reciprocity state other states will not honor a NY permit. I have a concealed carry permit in NC and one of the few states who don't reciprocate is NY of course. Every state I travel through from NC to NY honors my permit except NY or I would bring my handguns with me. NY will always be a liberal state so I hope this bill passes. But if I'm not mistaken even if the Federal law passes NY state still doesn't have to honor it. The Federal gov. can't tell a state what to do even though it would be a battle because of the 2nd amendment.

Since NY is not a reciprocity state other states will not honor a NY permit. I have a concealed carry permit in NC and one of the few states who don't reciprocate is NY of course. Every state I travel through from NC to NY honors my permit except NY or I would bring my handguns with me. NY will always be a liberal state so I hope this bill passes. But if I'm not mistaken even if the Federal law passes NY state still doesn't have to honor it. The Federal gov. can't tell a state what to do even though it would be a battle because of the 2nd amendment.

YUP

It is a Federal background Check, therefore you should be able to carry anywhwere in the lower 48 states but I would be opposed to flying with your CCW.

Now if you wanted to carry in Alaska it would be nice to be able to obtain a written one time pass from Canadian govt to carry to and back from Alaska if you were traveling there.

I have a NY permit and just went to Centre County PA, paid 20 dollars(every 5yrs) and had my permit in 10 minutes. The PA permit has similar reciprocity to the Utah permit. Overall Utah permit is more expensive, 65.00 every five years, plus course which varies from 80 to 120. Utah does not require a NY permit but that means you cant carry in NY. Hope this Bill goes through.

Since NY is not a reciprocity state other states will not honor a NY permit.

I believe with a NY permit you can carry in Alaska, Vermont and I think Arizona.

Rochester Parsonal Defense has a combined class to get he Utah and Florida Non-Resident Permits. That combined class gives the most states. Florida has a shooting requirement but I think you get an exemption if you hold a valid home state permit.

You get my vote, we don't get much for our $200 renewal fee for our pistol permits in Nassau County.

You have to pay $200 to renew your permit????? I live in Greene County and I've had my permit for ten years and haven't had to renew. Friggin' NYC politicians!!!

You have to ask around and search for someone that does the class in your area. All you do is take the class, and there might be a test, but then you fill out the paperwork, go through the background check and you get your permit.

Yea thanks, I already signed up for a class.

Overall Utah permit is more expensive, 65.00 every five years, plus course which varies from 80 to 120. Utah does not require a NY permit but that means you cant carry in NY. Hope this Bill goes through.

Not true. For a non-resident Utah permit it was $10 every 5 years, now just starting in May this year it went up to $15 every 5 years.

You have to pay $200 to renew your permit????? I live in Greene County and I've had my permit for ten years and haven't had to renew. Friggin' NYC politicians!!!

Nassau is not part of NYC.

Got this email this morning!

U.S. House Passes NRA-backed

National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Legislation

The U.S. House of Representatives has passed an important self-defense measure that would enable millions of Right-to-Carry permit holders across the country to carry concealed firearms while traveling outside their home states. H.R. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act, passed by a majority bipartisan vote of 272 to 154. All amendments aimed to weaken or damage the integrity of this bill were defeated.

“NRA has made the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act a priority because it enhances the fundamental right to self-defense guaranteed to all law-abiding people,” said Chris W. Cox, executive director of NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action. “People are not immune from crime when they cross state lines. That is why it is vital for them to be able to defend themselves and their loved ones should the need arise.”

H.R. 822, introduced in the U.S. House by Representatives Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) and Heath Shuler (D-N.C.), allows any person with a valid state-issued concealed firearm permit to carry a concealed firearm in any state that issues concealed firearm permits, or that does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms for lawful purposes.

This bill does not affect existing state laws. State laws governing where concealed firearms may be carried would apply within each state’s borders. H.R. 822 does not create a federal licensing system or impose federal standards on state permits; rather, it requires the states to recognize each others' carry permits, just as they recognize drivers' licenses and carry permits held by armored car guards.

As of today, 49 states have laws in place that permit their citizens to carry a concealed firearm in some form. Only Illinois and the District of Columbia deny its residents the right to carry concealed firearms outside their homes or businesses for self-defense.

“We are grateful for the support of Speaker Boehner, Majority Leader Cantor, Majority Whip McCarthy, Judiciary Chairman Smith and primary sponsors Congressmen Stearns and Shuler for their steadfast support of H.R. 822. Thanks to the persistence of millions of American gun owners and NRA members, Congress has moved one step closer to improving crucial self-defense laws in this country,” concluded Cox.