Heavy Broadheads...

NonTypical

1 hour ago, Bolt action said:

Grouping is good.. there must be a Kevlar plate in there somewhere if I'm getting penetration on one side but not the other

Cut the fletching of one arrow and see where that lands compared to the fletched ones at 15 yds. My favorite method to check my bows and my forms tune.

4 hours ago, Bolt action said:

29 dl and about 65lbs DW. L tell you it really has me scratching my head. There is not much drop, and the arrows seem to fly like missiles. 

What bow are your shooting , your arrow name &  length and point weight .

Edited by rob-c

25 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

Diamond provider bow, victory decimator arrows, 100 gr heads, 175 gr extra weight up front. 29 inches on .350 spine with 65 lb draw weight.

Just out of curiosity ,if you balance an arrow on your finger and then measure from the nock to where the arrow balances ,what measurement do you get?  

29 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

Diamond provider bow, victory decimator arrows, 100 gr heads, 175 gr extra weight up front. 29 inches on .350 spine with 65 lb draw weight.

You are underspined with that much weight up front for sure. I shoot 60# at 29.5" DL with a 300 spine arrow with 100 gr insert and 125 gr head.

Dont risk one of those arrows blowing up on you.

44 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

You are severely underspined, your arrows are slapping the bag like noodles. A 300 spine would give you slightly under spine but still in the green on my pinwheel app.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

People have told me my 3D arrows are underspined , i shoot a 480 from a 62 pound bow ,27.5 inch arrows ,they fly like darts. 

Of course you can shoot what you want,but why risk the arrow blowing up on release? That would not be my choice,no matter if they flew like honing missiles.

What I have found from reading different spine charts is that there can be quite a difference from one chart to the next as far as recommended spine. There are a lot of variables that contribute to what spine is needed, like tip weight, cam style, and arrow construction. For example according to this chart http://www.cerraarchery.com/Tecnica_archivos/Target Shaft Selector 2020.pdf if you are shooting a 28” arrow at 70 lbs and your bow rating is 300 or 301 FPS, the spine can vary greatly. Anywhere from arrow spine recommendations anywhere from .480-.260, depending on the arrow. I didn’t see tip weight stated on this chart, but I would assume it was 100 grains. Once you start adding weight up front, it affects your spine requirements. There is also this chart that shows how tip weight affects spine. https://www.siriusarchery.com/pages/selecting-the-right-spine
I think what it really comes down to is experimenting with different combinations of arrow types with varying tip weights to find what works for you to get perfect arrow flight. 

1 hour ago, BowmanMike said:

Of course you can shoot what you want,but why risk the arrow blowing up on release? That would not be my choice,no matter if they flew like honing missiles.

If they are under spined or over spined, it will show in arrow flight when shooting bare shafts. If they are flying true with bare shafts, you’ve found the sweet spot. 

19 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

What I have found from reading different spine charts is that there can be quite a difference from one chart to the next as far as recommended spine. There are a lot of variables that contribute to what spine is needed, like tip weight, cam style, and arrow construction. For example according to this chart http://www.cerraarchery.com/Tecnica_archivos/Target Shaft Selector 2020.pdf if you are shooting a 28” arrow at 70 lbs and your bow rating is 300 or 301 FPS, the spine can vary greatly. Anywhere from arrow spine recommendations anywhere from .480-.260, depending on the arrow. I didn’t see tip weight stated on this chart, but I would assume it was 100 grains. Once you start adding weight up front, it affects your spine requirements. There is also this chart that shows how tip weight affects spine. https://www.siriusarchery.com/pages/selecting-the-right-spine
I think what it really comes down to is experimenting with different combinations of arrow types with varying tip weights to find what works for you to get perfect arrow flight. 

You are correct, but I downloaded the pin wheel app and no more experimenting. It will dial your set up right  in. 

2 hours ago, BowmanMike said:

New style arrows dont just blow up unless they are damaged .

• Like 1

On 8/6/2020 at 5:36 AM, bruno1 said:

Hey Matt did you start tinkering with the heavy stuff yet

The arrows that came last weekend were the wrong diameter for my inserts. So I ordered some different .300 spine from 2 different vendors. Hopefully something shows up by the weekend. I’m itching to getting this ironed out. Did you ever call Chuck?

On 8/10/2020 at 7:51 PM, NonTypical said:

The arrows that came last weekend were the wrong diameter for my inserts. So I ordered some different .300 spine from 2 different vendors. Hopefully something shows up by the weekend. I’m itching to getting this ironed out. Did you ever call Chuck?

Yea I called, tried talking me out of it for a whitetail.