define sunrise/sunset

mxsmitz201

check the regulations guide, there are 2 sections one when deer season is open and when it is closed. During open deer season, you can use only a rimfire rifle, shotgun bow or handgun. If hitting on a typo proves your point so be it. I am not the confused one. I have the guide here in my hand page 51 center column top of the page.

Pay special attention to the part that is bold and larger then the rest of the text. It came right off page 51 of the book.

"Hunting Furbearers At Night

All laws pertaining to the use of a spotlight

apply (see page 18).

1. If you are hunting in an area when any deer

season (including bowhunting) is open:

ͪͪYou may hunt during the day or night.

ͪͪYou may use a light, but you may not

hunt from any motor vehicle, including

an ATV.

ͪͪYou may use a shotgun, muzzleloader,

bow, handgun or air gun.

ͪͪYou may use any

rimfire rifle, except

in Westchester,

Nassau, and Suffolk

counties where rifles

are not allowed.

ͪͪYou may use any centerfire

rifle ONLY if rifles are

also allowed for deer hunting in that

area. (Refer to Legal Implements map on

page 24.)

2. If you are hunting in an area when all deer

seasons are closed:

ͪͪYou may hunt during the day or night.

ͪͪYou may use a light.

ͪͪYou may use a shotgun, muzzleloader,

bow, handgun or air gun.

ͪͪYou may use any rifle of any caliber, except

in Westchester, Nassau and Suffolk counties,

where rifles are not allowed."

Most shooting accidents are either before or after legal light when things are not as easily seen. But I guess if I wear orange head to toe, you after hours guys are less likely to kill me in low light. When was the last time someone got shot at noon? And as far as shooting coyotes after legal hours, it is illegal to shoot coytoes with a deer caliber rifle during deer season. So your way to beat the system does not wash.

Bubba there have been many accidents when hunters put on deer drive and they are in the middle of the day. There was a little girl shot while in her trailer in Sullivan county a few years ago again in the middle of the day. Also the guys that shoot themselves do it at all hours of the day. So I would say that most don't happen before sunset or just after sunset. mho

I stand corrected. My apologies. It is legal to try to beat the system and hunt before or after legal hours.
Not trying to prove THAT point.... I just can't get that worked up over a deer to stretch the law myself......I just do this for fun.

And I'll add; I don't always agree with everyones posts all the time.....but on a forum that's a class act to admit an error. We could all learn from that.

Edited by Dinsdale

now read the part about hunting during open deer season. You quoted the part about when deer season is closed. Two separate sections. So check again

Bubba, you better read the rules and regulations you don't want to be in violation. Hope you don't get confused with the sunrise and sunset times. Don't want to break the law.

bubba, what I'm reading is that it states you cannot have a centerfire rifle only in areas where the use of centerfire rifles on deer are not allowed.

"You may use a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that you may not possess a centerfire rifle afield, during the day or night, during any open season for deer in areas where rifles are prohibited for deer hunting."

it is not worth arguing over and to say your rifle was still loaded after legal hours to shoot a coyote so you can have it loaded to shoot a deer after legal hours is attempting to beat the system. If you gave the line to a dec officer here, he would follow you the rest of the season until he caught you. Then he would be a jerk and should go catch the real criminals, But to each his own. I know whan I shoot a deer I played by the rules and that is all I have to worry about. All I can say is I am glad I have my own land and choose who hunts on it and they choose to obey the laws and keep us all safer.

It is trying to beat the system if you are using that law as an excuse for being in the woods with a loaded rifle after dark while deer hunting and you weren't really hunting coyotes...

well if someone really wasn't hunting coyote then yes, I'd agree. But I have made it clear that I really do hunt coyote after hunting deer some nights, and there is nothing wrong with that.

And for the last time, I have never shot a deer outside of legal shooting light, and I have no intentions to.

Don't hate furbearer hunters.

That's so ridiculous what if you didn't have a watch. The DEC will have to mandate that all hunters must carry a watch while hunting along with your license. Because if you don't have a watch how would you know when legal shooting time is (SUNRISE). If caught without watch off to the pokie.

I would say if the officer witnessed you shooting after legal time he would give you a ticket. And when you gave your excuse that it is not a law to wear a watch he would piss himself laughing and you would still have a ticket.

well if someone really wasn't hunting coyote then yes, I'd agree. But I have made it clear that I really do hunt coyote after hunting deer some nights, and there is nothing wrong with that.

And for the last time, I have never shot a deer outside of legal shooting light, and I have no intentions to.

Don't hate furbearer hunters.

I didn' tmean to imply that you did... if you're hunting coyotes them you wouldn't be trying to buck the system.. we were referring to those that said thats the excuse they would give if they got caught after dark with their weapon loaded.. i like furbearer hunters!!

Edited by nyantler
  • Like 1

I would say if the officer witnessed you shooting after legal time he would give you a ticket. And when you gave your excuse that it is not a law to wear a watch he would piss himself laughing and you would still have a ticket.

good answer!!!!... ignorance is never an excuse for the law... I guess if you aren't wearing a watch you won't know when you should be legally shooting... and risk a chance of doing something you shouldn't be doing.. I'm sure the officer would say that next time he should be wearing a watch.