My 2 Cents

oneidacountyhunter

Just wondering about how many hunters tell their harvest story and at the end say "it was just a spike" or " it was just a 6 point" "it only weighed 100lbs" ...... and so on. I don't know about you but it sounds like you're disapointed about your kill. Me personaly I don't eat the antlers, I shoot deer for their meat ( big racks are just bragging points :) If you felt as though the trigger should be pulled then be proud about your harvest! OK I'll get off my soapbox now LOL

I have shot two doe this year and they have been 98 99 pounds. I have been busted on about them being small and I say 98 pounds is no slob but good for me. This is the first year that I have been able to harvest a nice sized doe they have all outsmarted me till this year. I couldn't be happier.

I know what you mean by them saying "it was just a spike" or " it was just a 6 point" "it only weighed 100lbs" I don't think most of them say it like it is no big deal because they want to be a man and not show emotion. Most of them are jumping for joy on the inside. I am sure there are some out there that say it and mean it.

i got two does also didnt weight them but i picked the largest of the groups at the time and they all were smaller no real big does around... but the taste good so its good to have meat in the freezer..... although i would like to even see a small 6 i havent even seen any small bucks lots of does no bucks and i have had the last two weeks off and hunted from 6-11 and 1 till dark allmost every day... been a wierd season so im happy with the does i shot

I filled two DMP'S this bowseason.Would I have liked to have taken a big buck ? Hell yes. But it didn't happen and I have been eating venison every night this week.I know guys that hunt and then don't eat much of the venison.Hunting for the wrong reasons I guess.I don't mind doing my part to help balance a herd and I enjoy venison .If someone asks I tell them honestly how big or old I think a deer was- I am not ashamed of bringing my own food home.

Edited by 132 eight pointer

Very true guys, I know that when I shoot a 100 pound doe my hunting buddies break my chops about the size of the deer but when you get them alone they are all smiles and congrats all around. While I'm sure everyone wants the "monster" I am happy with filling my tags and putting food on my table. Of course I am still looking for that "wall hanger" :)

I kinda think sometimes they are disappointed in what they killed. I'd imagine for some guys it's pretty frustrating to hunt in a unit for 30 yrs and never shoot a deer to put on their wall. Must be pretty frustrating and i feel bad for them. I wish they all could shoot what they go to bed the night before opening day dreaming about. Pretty sure thats not a forker or small doe.

I don't know about you, a field dressed 90-100 lb doe is pretty darn nice. Most people way way over estimate the weight of their animals. The big thing is enjoy nature, enjoy the meat, and be thankful you have the opportunity to be somewhere you can shoot a 100 lb doe. Many people in this world don't have those privileges.

I had a buddy of mine who has hunted for 12 years now but didnt kill his first deer until the tenth year. His first deer he shot was a yearling doe and I know he was damn proud of it and I was just as happy to be there for the occasion. Some people take there good hunting spots for granted. Just because you see does and bucks every day dont mean that the people that shoot the small does and bucks do see deer every day. That might be the only deer they see all year. That is the reason why people should not basically insult someone for the size of there game they took. If you have the opportunity to pass on smaller ones than thats great which I have that but, I have spent more than one season without shooting something from lack of seeing anything.

I shot a spike this year and was tickled pink! His horns here curved like fish hooks. All my other spikes were straight. And the next buck I want is a 4-ptr, I've never shot a 4, seen em, missed em but never got one. My father, my brothers and my nephew all have shot 4's with really nice horns or very long tines. Call me a bottom feeder but I actually passed up an old man white muzzled 10 a few years ago because I didn't like the shot at 60 yards with a rifle. Not 100% quick kill and I wouldn't take a guy like that half-assed just for his horns.