state land

max3

Pretty much state land will be flooded with people i hunt state since i only have one peice of private to hunt and it's pretty hard to get a deer on state!!And it's sad but for the most part you will hear people shooting before sun up road hunting..I've seen guys in the back of pickups just driving the roads!!But you can get deer it just takes some more skill!!

I started hunting state land last year. On opening day it's wall to wall, as it was Saturday. If what I saw last year holds true again, in a few days the land will be vacant. I couldn'nt get time off until the week of Dec 9. I anticipate having the place almost empty, especially Mon - Fri.

Edited by JimR

I find, although hunters are out there, they know it's crowded, so it's unlikely someone will shoot at something OranGe. I found hunters polite, for the most part.

I was walking in very deep on Sat, and came across the back of a ground popup blind. I turned around, and quietly walked out. He had no idea I was there, and that was unnerving.

Hey Max, hunting state land can be pretty rewarding just like hunting private land. I hunt state land during rifle season and the best way to avoid running into a bunch of hunters is try to locate access points to the state land that is off the beaten path. I know its alot easier said than done, but thats probably your best bet. You will find better areas and access roads if you do most of your scouting after the season. Satellite maps on google is a great tool as well. Alot of times state land is all thats available unless your willing to pay a private landowner a good dollar for hunting rights.

I personally feel that state land gets a bad reputation. Just reading the posts on here and talking with other hunters. There is a misconception about public land; that it is crowded, unsafe, small deer, etc. I have hunted state propertly for years. For the most part the parcels of land are huge, over 1000 acres in a lot of places. If you had 20 hunters out there one would think it is crowded even though each hunter would have 50 acres to himself. Compare that to 100 acre parcel that is privately owned with 10 hunters on it each getting 10 acres to hunt. I know it's a tough comparison but in the end there are plenty of bruisers out there on public land. It's the hunters who are willing to walk (not ride) back into the woods, who rely on their hunting skills, and spend a lot of time out there who are rewarded. Then they have to drag that sucker out.

Yea the deer are there but with out a doubt so aren't another couple hundered people.Plus theres lots of human movment all the time the deer push father back.It's with out a doubt harder to hunt state land.And ofcourse it's going to be more unsafe you have 100 people that have no idea were each other is just shooting away ive seen it for myself it gets ugly!!

I hunt state land and the first weekend is allways busy.There are deer running every where,so in a few days when all comes down im going back to try again.This past weekend it sounded like i was at a shooting range.Just be super carefull when hunting state/public land and make sure you where your BLAZE ORANGE.

I hunted state land for many years until I acquired private land. I di dwell, and found that getting away from the crowd was not that tough if you went to the places that were harder to get to. I used to go off the roads and get right in the swamp and I mean in the swamp. We would wait for the as we called them city hunters to walk the ridge and move the deer off into the swamp. Yeah it was tough hunting, but good hunting.

Edited by bubba

I hunted state land for many years until I acquired private land. I di dwell, and found that getting away from the crowd was not that tough if you went to the places that were harder to get to. I used to go off the roads and get right in the swamp and I mean in the swamp. We would wait for the as we called them city hunters to walk the ridge and move the deer off into the swamp. Yeah it was tough hunting, but good hunting.

It is 90% of my hunting is on state really enjoy it when not so busy.Bow season is really good only a few others in the woods.As allaways good hunting.

It used to be that there were adequate hunter numbers on state land to keep the deer moving. It gave a patient sitting guy a pretty good chance to have some action. Guys would get cold or bored and start still hunting and bumping deer all over the place. Our little chunk of state land doesn't work that way anymore. It gets awful darn quiet even on opoening day.

I ahve hunted and guided almost always on public lands and in 40 years of hunting I as I was telling a fella on here today, I think I can say i saw 3 or 4 other hunters ever in the woods.

at the road, in a parking lot, sure, seen hunters there, Thanks to misuse of the land by tourist hunters most places are gated and closed except to walk in traffic or horses, once you are off the road I never see anyone else.

obviously if you hunt a small spot of land cut by many roads and surrounded by houses and camps you will see people.

with the new snow we got friday I still have not seen any human tracks but my own where I'm running steel,so far in ma, vt, ny I ahve seen three other hunters and all were in their cars on the side of the road, not seen anyone in the woods at all except for two women on hourses who were singing so loudly they wouldnt have heard me if i had called to them anyway. LOL

The average hunter never goes more than a couple hundred yards from their car. Get a good topo map, find the funnels and escape routes and you can do well. After the first week of the season and weekdays you pretty much have full run of the place anyway.

The state land near me is dead after this coming weekend. Sunday I think there were 6 cars there right before sunset. Today there was 1 car there all day. This piece has lots of access trails in it, and everybody hunts almost directly off of them, within 100 yards or so. Most stay within 200 of the road. If you get away from those areas, you see very few, if any people. There are some great funnels and pinch points to hunt, and plenty of deer. This piece is even farmed actively each year, so it has built in food plots basically.

i have had good luck on state land and rarely see other hunters i also go in fairly deep but usually only see hunters on my way out. the key is getting to know the piece you choose to hunt. if you become familar with the land you will know where the average users will be and position yourself away from them. often the other hunters i do see tell me im nuts for going where i do but i am always comfortable and know my surroundings well.

My reason for starting this post is I have been hunting a number of state parcels this year & last for small game. Big pieces and smaller ones and seem to be the only person hunting. I hear that NY hunters are down though you would never know it in my neighborhood (private land) Thought I might try some state land for deer season. I have been really impressed with the WMA's we have hunted.

I get nearly all my deer from public land...many places are relatively empty except for opening weekend. Archery season provides good scouting for old apple trees and white oaks which will provide guareenteed daylight activity come gun season.

Also as annoying and dangerous as other hunters can be, if you get in the stand first, they will often bump deer to you on their way in.