Does early or later

nybuckboy

Fer sure, having does around when they go into estrus are the best BB "bait" available! But .. isn't it also nice to harvest a doe for the freezer in Oct when field dressing and retrieval aren't so .. challenging!?! Possibly those that process their own venison like the cooler temps..?

On 8/4/2020 at 3:17 PM, G-Man said:

I always take the 1st adult doe I can the 1st week of bow . I prefer it to be a doe with twin button buck.

Now here is why

Does are the one that chase the little buck out, you kill mom and they stick around as they only know their mothers home range, the following year you will see more 1.5 year olds and if you pass on those then they become 2.5, though range may expand they will always keep their ( moms) range as part of their own . Has help boost buck numbers significantly here. 

I prefer to use my dmp's on the button bucks in that situation.  Leaving the doe increases my odds at a mature buck later.  More importantly, there is no better eating buck than a 6 month old.  

I am not a big fan of doe meat because the fat takes a lot of time to trim out.  If you miss some, it sticks to the roof of my mouth, putting a damper on my appetite for more.

Edited by wolc123

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 2:10 PM, nybuckboy said:

What’s the thoughts on taking a doe or does early season or late

I personally spend the first part of the season just observing to see what is out there and tend to target bucks first. As the season progresses and the season changes I get less and less selective and will take a doe without fawns around the first part of November just to get one in the freezer, but usually take any does I might shoot during gun season because the odds of getting a buck decline and it gets later in the season.

To me it seems like the bucks (at least in this area) tend to go nocturnal around the first of November and sightings become less and less as the month goes on. Trail cameras also tend to tell the same story.

I take them as they come . I usually set up for a buck, but if presented with a good shot on a full size doe, and I'm not miles from the rd I will shoot..

That said, the 1st week I will stay closer to the rd so I can get some venison in the fridge early..

• Like 2

The does decide when they want to die by walking into range. I like to shoot does early, that way I'm not stressed out the last week of archery because I haven't killed any. My goal every year is shoot the first two 1.5yr old + does when the opportunity arises. Once that's complete I'll usually let the rest walk and look for antlers. 3 deer per year is what my wife and I use so I don't like going over 3 or 4 at most.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

• Like 4